I am so excited about this post. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time as it makes all my recipes suitable for literally any type of special diet.
If you are new to my website I’ll give you a bit of background. The name, Green Thickie means a filling meal replacement smoothie which is a complete meal with optional greens to make it a Green Thickie.
I have hundreds of recipes for meal replacement shakes on this website. I started off adding oats to my smoothies to turn them into meal replacement shakes. After a while I started experimenting with other ingredients to make the smoothies thick and filling. Now I’ve experimenting with grain free diets so I’ve just found a whole load more ingredients that make perfect additions to make homemade meal replacement shakes.
I also use my Green Thickies as a great tool for weight loss. If you drink one Green Thickie for breakfast and another for lunch and a home cooked healthy dinner, you should see results when it comes to health and weight loss. Get started with Green Thickies here.
So if you are interested, any of the Green Thickie Recipes on this website can be used as meal replacement shakes for weight loss. Green Thickies are designed to be the perfect meal for busy people. If you don’t have time to sit down and eat a proper meal, you’ll get everything you need for one meal from a Green Thickie. Because they are so filling I don’t usually feel the need to snack in between meals and nor do I have time to snack. So I don’t have too many snack recipes on this website.
A lot of people ask me what else to eat besides Green Thickies, so I developed my 7 Day Diet Plan for Weight Loss and Improved Health which will give you a full calorie counted meal plan to help you lose weight which incorporates some tasty recipes that aren’t published on this website. Click here to have a look at Green Thickies Diet Plan.
There are 6 ingredients in most green thickies. The essential ingredients are liquid and fruit/vegetables for nutrients. But I also add something sweet to my smoothies such as dried fruit to make them taste gorgeous. I also add greens as I believe eating leafy greens regularly takes your health to the next level. To make them into a complete meal there are 2 more elements which are a protein source such as nuts or seeds and a filler. Keep reading to find out about fillers.
This blog post explains the different choices of fillers you can add to your smoothie to make them into a complete meal. But after I explain the fillers I’ll also give you a formula for making your own homemade meal replacement shakes for weight loss.
So now that I’ve explained the concept behind Green Thickies, I’m going to give you a list of ingredients that you can use to turn any smoothie into a filling meal replacement shake.
Each of my recipes serves 2, so all these fillers need to be added to a batch of smoothie that is enough for 2 portions.
How to add the fillers to smoothies to create Meal Replacement Meals
To make your own meal replacement shakes, you can either:
- Use one of my recipes and add your choice of filler to it from the list below, or
- Create your own smoothie with the template at the bottom of this post.
20 Fillers to turn any smoothie into Meal Replacement Shakes
Choose 1 from the following list to add to your smoothie – Each smoothie serves 2 so drink half of the smoothie for each meal.
Raw Ingredients (Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Primal, Grain Free, Gluten Free, GAPs, SCD Diets)
1) 3 Medium Bananas/ 3 Cups of Banana Chunks (in addition to the bananas already in the recipe)*
2) 3 Small Mangos/ 3 Cups of Mango Chunks*
3) 1 Medium Avocado or 2 small avocados*
4) 4 Tablespoons Coconut Butter* (Get good quality Coconut Butter here) (low Carb)
6) 3/4 cup Coconut Flour (Get good quality coconut flour here)
7) 3/4 cup Dried Fruit such as Dates, Raisins or other plain dried fruit (Get good quality dates here)
Nuts (Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Primal, Grain Free, Gluten Free, GAPs, SCD Diets)
8) 1/3 Cup Nuts (get good quality nuts here)
9) 3 Tablespoons Nut Butter* (get good quality nut butter here)
Seeds (Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Primal, Grain Free, Gluten Free, GAPs, SCD Diets)
10) 1/2 Cup Seeds (get good quality seeds here)
11) 3 Tablespoons Seed Butter* (get good quality seed butter here)
12) 1 Cup of Oats (get good quality oats here)
13) 1 Cup of Quinoa (get good quality quinoa here)
14) 1 Cup of Buckwheat (get good quality buckwheat here)
Other Carbs (Vegan, Grain Free, Gluten Free)
15) 1 Cup Sweet Potato or White Potato*
16) 1.5 Cups cooked, drained White Beans
17) 1 Cup Tofu (get good quality tofu here)
Eggs (Low Carb, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Primal, Paleo, GAPs, SCD Diets )
18) 4 Large Raw or cooked Eggs (Organic/ Free Range)*
The Healthiest Smoothie Powders you will ever find
19) I now use either Power Meal smoothie filler almost all of the time because it contains an abundance of nutrients and I have never felt as healthy or as energetic since I started using this product. To find more out about it you can watch my video here. You can purchase Power Meal by clicking here. Or to save 24% on your order you can become a wholesale member by getting started with a kit. read more here.
20) If you don’t want the hassle of making your own smoothie from scratch and prefer something that’s ‘done for you’, there is only one option that I will ever trust to be completely healthy in every way. Most packaged shakes contain a cocktail of harmful chemicals and are mostly made up from unhealthy ingredients. Click here to see the healthiest shake I’ve ever found. Just have a look at the ingredients list to check yourself. Most diet shakes won’t even publish their ingredients online so that tells you something. You can save 24% on all orders of this shake by becoming a wholesale member. (I also have special bonus offers when you become a wholesale member)
All of these fillers have roughly the same number of calories. Each smoothie serves 2 so you would consume half of these fillers per smoothie. This might seem a lot to you but remember, this is a complete meal, not a snack! Some of them are bulkier than others so although each shake will be roughly a pint (500ml) some may be smaller and some larger, but all should fill you up until your next meal.
*I have added a star next to the fillers that are easiest to blend without a high speed blender. All of the ingredients can be blended with any blender but it is easier to blend if you soak hard ingredients overnight first. Another option is to grind your grains, nuts and seeds using your blending or coffee grinding before adding them to your smoothie.
I have chosen these fillers as most of them have a fairly neutral taste, and you’d be surprised how much the sweet fruit can overpower the taste of both the fillers and any greens you add to your smoothie.
Here is a handy chart to help you see at a glance which ingredients are suitable for your special diet:
Please pin this chart for later:
How to prepare the fillers for your meal replacement shakes
Most of the fillers can be added raw but to aid digestion, improve available nutrients and make the smoothies easier to blend it is advisable to prepare the fillers in the following ways:
- Oats: Soak these in the smoothie liquid overnight and add straight to the blender (get good quality oats here)
- Quinoa: Rinse then soak these in the smoothie liquid overnight and add straight to the blender.(get good quality quinoa here)
- Buckwheat: Rinse these and continue to rinse every couple of hours for 8 hours then add straight to the blender. (get good quality buckwheat here)
- Sweet Potato: Cook this first by steaming it for 10 minutes or baking it for 20 minutes
- White Potato: Steam this for 12 minutes and bake it under tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cooked beans: Rinse canned beans or follow packet instructions to soak and cook dried beans.
- Seeds and nuts: Soak over night, rinse and add to the blender. (get good quality nuts and seeds here)
- * If using dates or other dried fruit, it’s also good to soak these overnight in the smoothie liquid and add it all to the blender.
How to make Homemade Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss
Here is a formula that you can you to make your own smoothie. For more information on creating your own smoothie, please read How to make a Smoothie in 5 Easy Steps.
To make 2 servings of smoothie add the following ingredients:
- 2 Cups of Liquid
- 2 Cups of Fruit or if you are avoiding fruit, 2 cups of salad vegetables
- 1/4 Cup of Dried fruit or 2 Tablespoons of liquid sweetener such as Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup of Nuts or Seeds or 2 Tablespoons of Nut/Seed Butter or other protein source such as 2 Tablespoons of Gelatin
- 1-2 Cups of mild leafy greens
- One of the fillers above
Remember – for homemade meal replacement shakes for weight loss drink 1 serving which is half of the above recipe formula. This formula will make approximately 2 pints and to lose weight, drink 1 pint as a meal replacement. Do this for breakfast and for lunch and then have a sensible dinner that is suitable for the particular diet you are following. This is a great formula for weight loss. For a complete meal plan – check out my 7 Day Diet Plan to boost your weight loss even more. If you get tired of having 2 sweet meal replacement shakes every day, make your first shake with fruit and your lunch shake with vegetables so you get a variety of fruit and vegetables in your diet. Have a look at my Vegetable smoothie and add your preferred filler to it.
Please pin this image to Pinterest
Have you ever made your own meal replacement shakes? Please leave a comment below:
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off? Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems? My new healthy meal plans for weight loss and improved health will help you drop a dress size this month, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself. You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more.