6 foods to avoid adding to your smoothies
There are some foods to avoid using in your smoothies on a regular basis and I’ll tell you exactly why. Making smoothies is becoming so popular with so many people and every ingredient under the sun is being added into a smoothie. I am as guilty as the next person of this as I love a tasty smoothie that’s going to fill me up which is why I add carbs such as oats and other tasty foods such as nuts, seeds, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice etc.
However, some foods are healthier than others and I believe you can get all the nutrition you need from fruit, veg, nuts and seeds. I think the cleaner your diet the better it is for you, and the more processed foods you add into your diet, the harder you body has to work to ‘process’ them. Of course we all like a treat now and then but there are some foods that I wouldn’t advise you to eat on a regular basis.
So here are the 6 foods to avoid adding to your smoothies regularly:
- Protein powders. I actually think it’s harmful to consume too much protein. We are obsessed about getting more and more and protein powders are processed and I don’t believe they are very good for us. If you want to know why, read this article I wrote on the subject. Also protein powders are notoriously bad for your health because they have been stripped of their nutrients and the body doesn’t recognise most of them as a food source anymore which puts a lot of stress on the body. Why not just add whole foods such as nuts, seeds, eggs or raw dairy to your smoothies and get your protein that way?
- Dairy or Whey Powders. Pasteurised dairy is extremely harmful for our health so I don’t recommend adding dairy to your diet unless you can find raw dairy.
- Extra Oils: It’s not good for you to consume excess fat in your diet especially when you won’t even notice it. It would be better to save your good fats for meals where you’ll appreciate them more. If you want to know why we should be keeping our fats (even good ones) in check, you’ll understand after reading this book. If you are going to consume fats it’s better to eat them in whole foods such as whole coconut, avocado, olives, seeds and nuts. A bit of oil on a salad dressing is fine but there’s no need to add them to your smoothies.
- Dried greens: OK I’m not opposed to eating dried greens. If the only way you can get your leafy greens is by adding powders into your smoothie, such as when travelling or if you’ve run out, then by all means use some green powder in your smoothie. But bear in mind this has been dehydrated and stored for a long time. It’s not alive any more and it won’t be anywhere near as beneficial for your health as fresh raw leafy greens. So if you can get hold of fresh or frozen greens, choose this option every time. However green powders can be very beneficial in conjunction with fresh greens as they contain extra vitamins and minerals, so you make sure you are meeting all your nutritional requirements with one supplement. Sunwarrior Ormus Supergreens are a great green powder that I would recommend. Just make sure you are getting your fresh raw greens AS WELL AS your dried greens, not instead of them.
- Store bought fruit juices: These have been pasteurised so there is no goodness left in them. They often add a synthetic vitamin C back into fruit juices. As there is no fibre and no nutrients in these juices, they will have more of a detrimental effect on your blood sugar levels and won’t actually do you any good. If you want to include juices in your smoothie, it’s far better to make your own if you can. I only ever add citrus juice to my smoothies as it’s easy to make without a juicer. If I’m juicing lots I use one of these cheap electric devices, and if I only have a little bit to juice, these citrus presses make life so easy. I have this lemon one but also use it for limes and oranges. It’s one of my favourite kitchen gadgets and I used it every day.
- Dried Superfood Powders: I actually do frequently use superfood powers in my diet when I really need a boost – but most of the time I do not add them to my smoothies because most of them taste disgusting! So what I do is get a small glass, add my superfood powers to it and a small amount of water and mix and drink. I don’t want to ruin the taste of my gorgeous Green Thickies by adding anything that doesn’t taste nice to them! I love to use Maca or Ashwaganda powder when I’m really stressed and run down.
Stay away from anything processed with nasty ingredients. It pays to do your research on products and companies before you blindly start eating it every single day. Anything processed, in a packet with a list of ingredients is not what your body needs to function unless the ingredients come from whole food organic sources and are known to heal the body rather than harm.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020
- Is A Banana A Berry? I Reveal The Truth - October 1, 2020