How to make Caramel
A homemade healthy sweetener
You will never believe how good this caramel is when it actually only has one ingredient. It is a vegan honey just made from apples. Now you don’t have to go without your caramel any longer. You can use it as a honey substitute, as a syrup that you control the thickness of, instead of unhealthy corn syrup. It is also much cheaper than buying expensive healthy sweeteners such as maple syrup or agave nectar.
As this recipe only contains apples, it is perfect for a number of diets including vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, paleo, unprocessed and most healthy diets. Best of all this recipe is refined sugar free so you know that all this sticky goodness comes straight from the healthy apple.
This recipe couldn’t be easier but it’s not quick. However it’s worth it for the thick sticky syrup that you get at the end of it.
How to make Caramel
To make the caramel, you just take 1 liter or about 4 cups of apple juice. You can use whatever type of apple juice you like. To make things easier for yourself you can use a carton of store bought apple juice but if you want to be ultra healthy, you can juice your own apple juice if you have a juicer. Some people don’t see what the point of juicing your own apple juice is, if you are just going to cook it anyway, but it’s still healthier and fresher to use freshly squeezed apple juice rather than store bought apple juice as you have complete control over the ingredients. You can use organic apples and you know it’s not been heavily processed or been sitting in a warehouse for a very long time before it gets to you. I however don’t have a juicer so I just used a carton of apple juice and it worked very well. I’m sure the flavour would also be better with freshly squeezed apple juice.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
All you do is bring the apple juice to the boil in a large pan and then simmer it until it turns a dark colour and reduces in quantity. This will take anywhere from between 30-60 minutes depending on the size of your pan and how hot the pan heats. Just be sure to watch it when it’s been on for a while as it can very easily burn. If you stir it you’ll see how thick it is. The longer you leave it, the thicker the syrup will become.
If you want to test this to see whether it’s ready, take a small spoonful out and place it in a bowl until it cools down. You can now check whether it’s syrupy enough for you.
Be careful with it when you are pouring it as it’s very hot. Make sure there are no young children around.
Pour this into a glass jar or a bowl, cover and store in the fridge. When you want to use it, you may find it has hardened so you can either leave it at room temperature for a while or you can place the glass jar inside a bowl of boiling water to melt it quickly.
How to use caramel
Now you can use your new syrup in any number of gorgeous ways. For example you could:
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
- Add it to your smoothies
- Top ice cream with it
- Use it as a dip for fruit
- Use it as a jam or fruit spread
- Sweeten cakes, puddings or breads
The possibilities are endless. Just use your imagination!
[tweetherder]This gorgeous sugar free, vegan caramel contains only one ingredient![/tweetherder]
How to make caramel with just one ingredient (Sugar free, vegan, gluten free)
You’ll never believe this gooey syrup could be made from just one ingredient.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 31 minutes
- Yield: About a 1/2 to 1 Cup 1x
- 1 liter of Apple Juice (Fresh or from a carton)
- Bring the apple juice to the boil in a large pan.
- Simmer the apple juice for 30-60 minutes until it changes colour and thickens.
- Test the syrup be placing a teaspoon of apple juice on a plate, wait until it cools to check the thickness.
- Turn the heat off when the syrup reaches the desired consistency.
- Pour straight into a jar and allow to cool. (Carefully. It is very hot)
- Store in the fridge.
- When you want to use it, if you want to soften it, place the jar inside a bowl of boiling water until it melts slightly (if required).
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ...
And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
- 1 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe (Blender, Raw, Vegan, No Refined Sugar) - February 17, 2020
- Easiest Mango Smoothie Recipe (2 Ingredient, Raw, Vegan) - February 1, 2020
- How To Ripen A Mango Faster (Or More Slowly) - January 3, 2020