Today’s question is from Fiona. She asks
Q: Why do I feel so tired after drinking a Green Smoothie?
Hi Fiona. Although I’ve never had that reaction myself when drinking a Green Smoothie, I think it is a fairly common reaction.
There could be a few reasons for feeling this way so it’s worth exploring all the options before giving up on green smoothies altogether. Some of the reasons you are feeling tired after drinking Green smoothies might be:
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
- You are detoxing. There are a lot of cleansing ingredients in a smoothie, especially the greens which can remove toxins quickly from the body causing a temporary tiredness for the first couple of weeks.
- You are getting withdrawal symptoms from cutting out something else. What do you usually have for breakfast? Have you stopped or delayed having a caffeinated drink which usually wakes you up in the morning?
- You may be intolerant to some of the ingredients. Do you know that you can tolerate all the ingredients you are eating. Have you eaten them all before?
- Your body might not like the combination of oats, nuts, fruit and greens. Sometimes it’s too much. But this usually only happens when people follow a very restricted diet to start with.
- You are drinking it too fast: As it is a meal rather than a drink, I usually suggest drinking it slowly and ‘chewing’ the smoothie to prepare your body for the food which pre-digests it. If you down it too quickly it can be too much for the body. If you ate all the food that you put in your smoothie on it’s own, it would probably take you a lot longer to eat it.
Some people don’t tolerate raw greens very well. You could try drinking the smoothie without the greens to see if you still feel the same way. If it is the raw greens causing the problem, you could try steaming the greens before adding them to your smoothie or cutting down the amount of greens you add.
It’s hard to tell which one of the above is causing your tiredness but I’d suggest maybe cutting down your portion sizes and combining it with some of your usual food and see if you feel any better. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to and some people just can’t tolerate them at all for some reason.
Also, I would try the ingredients on their own in their whole form, for example, just have a bowl of oatmeal, a salad with leafy greens, a handful of seeds and some fruit on it’s own. Take a note of any reactions you get to the food. If you don’t get any reaction, it might be the combination of ingredients or that you are drinking the smoothie too quickly.
It might be worth asking yourself if you’ve always had this tiredness when drinking smoothies (any type) or have you only experienced this recently?
My husband had a very bad detox when we did the Live Below The Line project. This wasn’t because of the food he was eating (as he usually ate that kind of food, at least for his dinner anyway) but because he gave up sugar and caffeine at the same time and it was too much for his body to just suddenly stop drinking coffee.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
You could also try drinking green smoothies at a different time of day to see if that makes a difference, but if after a few weeks of experimenting you still feel bad, it might just be worth taking a break from them.
Well Fiona, I really hope you can get to the bottom of why you are feeling so tired. I believe that green smoothies are extremely healthy, full of natural and quite normal ingredients, but even natural and normal ingredients can affect people in different ways, so it’s worth just listening to your body and following the diet that you believe is best for you and your health.
If like Fiona you have a burning question you’d like me to answer, pop it in the box below and see an answer to your question appear on a future ‘Your Questions Answered’ post.
(If you ask a question you agree to have your question reprinted on this website and receive Green Thickies FREE e-course and email updates. I will never share your email address with anyone else.)
If you have already subscribed to my email list, you can just reply to one of my emails with your question.
Have you ever experienced tiredness after drinking Green Thickies? (You can answer in the comments below)
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
FREE Green Smoothie Online ClassI lost 56 pounds in a few months with my Green Smoothie Detox. This video shows you how you can do the same. Take my 28 day challenge to drop a whole dress size in one month following this easy plan. Best of all, you'll barely spend any time in the kitchen, and you can even eat on the go if you need to. This detox only contains natural ingredients you can buy locally. These meals are very simple and quick to make, and they still taste delicious. Click here to Watch my FREE video today. (No opt in required)
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020
Barbara Smalls says
I noticed that since I have been juicing greens, my skin is very itchy. Is there a known reason for this?
Katherine Natalia @ Green Thickies says
I actually experienced this myself when I first gave up refined sugar and sometimes still get it when I cut it out of my diet. My skin was itchy for about a week. I think it’s the toxins coming out of your body. Did it stop eventually?