No bake Chocolate and Cherry Granola Bars with hidden greens
Green thickies have just got even more portable. Enter the Green Granola Bar Recipe! You can now have your green smoothie in bar form!
I have wanted to make a green smoothie bar for such a long time and I’ve only recently got around to it. So after testing various recipes, I finally have a granola bar recipe that I am happy with and I’m sure you’re going to love it.
Green thickies are already fairly portable. You throw your big filling smoothie into a massive container and drink it wherever you are. It’s a meal on the run. But, what if you want something even more portable, smaller, more compact, longer lasting but still want your fresh dose of daily raw energising greens, nutritious fruit, protein packed nuts/seeds, and filling oats. You’ve come to the right place today as this recipe ticks all the boxes. Did I mention it also tastes sweet, gorgeous and not a hint of any taste of greens? This bar doesn’t taste healthy, but it is. You can give it to your kids, friends and family and they’ll be none the wiser that this moreish granola bar contains anything even remotely healthy. You can rest assured there are no nasties lurking in this bar, and it comes together pretty quickly.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Raw Granola Bar Recipe with sneaky greens
This granola bar recipe is chocolate and cherry flavoured which is one of my favourite combinations, but it’s a very flexible bar. You can substitute the cherries for any other fruit and leave out the chocolate completely. It will still work. You can also replace the seeds with nuts or oats, add in any mild greens you want or leave them out altogether. The choices are endless.
You also have a choice about how raw you want this bar to be. To retain all the nutrition, leave it raw, you can eat it from frozen, or from the refrigerator. Or dehydrate it to keep the nutrition but maximize the longevity. You can also bake it in the oven which will kill some of the nutrients but make it last longer and be more flexible for travelling.
The consistency of the raw bar is fairly soft, but it holds together fairly well if it’s wrapped up. The best way to eat it raw from the fridge is to break chunks off with your fingers as it can flop a little bit if you tried to bite into it. It is harder eaten from frozen. If you want to harden it up and make it more of a substantial and portable bar, either dehydrate it or bake it.
The only thing this ‘green smoothie bar’ is missing is the water, so if you are using this as a meal replacement make sure you pack some water to take with you.
[tweetherder]Put your Green Smoothie in your pocket! Raw Green Granola Bar Recipe[/tweetherder]
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
I have tried to keep the ratios of ingredients very similar to a green thickie, so that when I calculated the calories it turns out that half of this entire recipe is about 500 calories, the same as an average green thickie. So these bars can be used as a complete meal but you need to eat about half of them, or as many as it takes to fill yourself up!
UPDATE: I was just telling my husband about my green smoothie bars and he suggested I call them Green Brickies. I love that name! So the GREEN BRICKIE is born. I’m going to get to work creating some different flavoured bars so I can have a series of Green Brickies!
Green Thickie’s Raw granola bar recipe: The filling Green Smoothie in a bar!
- 1/2 cup Date Paste (Or 1/2 Cup fresh pitted dates. You may need to add a little bit of water if it’s too thick.)
- 1/8 cup Carob Powder (Or Cocoa/ Cacao Powder)
- 1/4 cup Ground Flaxseeds (Or Ground Almonds or other nuts or seeds)
- 1/4 cup Cherries (Divided) (Or Strawberries or other fruit)
- 1/2 cup Dried Coconut (Shredded/ Desiccated )
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 cups Spinach ( Or other mild greens)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Add the date paste, carob powder, ground flax, HALF of the cherries (1/8 Cup), greens, salt and dried coconut to a food processor and process for a couple of minutes or until well mixed and the greens have been well broken down.
- Stir in the oats and the other half of the cherries (1/8) until well mixed.
- Press down into a non stick or greased baking pan and you can either:
1) Freeze for 1-3 hours and eat from frozen. Can be stored for up to 3 months. (RAW)
2) Refrigerate for 3 hours and eat within 3 days. (RAW)
3) Dehydrate in a dehydrator for 24 hours or until firm. (RAW)
4) Dehydrate in an oven on the lowest setting with the door open until firm. (Raw if less than 115F)
5) Bake in the oven at 180 C/ 355 F/ Gas Mark 4 (Baked)
- The RECIPE for DATE PASTE can be found here.
- This granola bar recipe is suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free, salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (This doesn’t include coconuts)
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started