Blackberry Smoothie with basil
Green Thickie recipe
This fresh, sweet and aromatic blackberry smoothie has a twist. It contains basil which works amazingly well with blackberries in this Green Smoothie. The two are a match made in heaven. If you don’t believe me you really have to give it a try . It’s such a treat for your taste buds and really gets your senses working (in a good way).
Blackberries in season
Blackberries are just coming into season here in the UK but I know this varies across the world and if you can’t get hold of fresh blackberries you might be able to get hold of frozen blackberries. I actually used frozen blackberries in this recipe as they are cheaper than fresh ones here and they’ve got the added benefit of making the smoothie lovely and cool without having to go to the trouble of freezing them myself.
We refer to blackberries as brambles here, and I’ve heard that they get called black caps in the US.
Benefits of Blackberries
- Blackberries are low in calories. One cup of Blackberries only contains around 62 calories, but don’t let that fool you, this is a recipe for a complete meal smoothie (Green Thickie) so it will fill you up if you replace your normal meal.
- Blackberries are extremely high in antioxidants and can fight off free radicals which cause cancer.
- They have inflammatory properties which is good for reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Two cups of Blackberries contains more than the amount of recommended daily vitamin C. So you can get your daily quota in just one serving (contains 2 cups) of this recipe. Vitamin C is great for the immune system.
The best thing about blackberries is that you can actually freely pick them, costing you nothing. If you can’t find anywhere in the wild to pick them, you can always visit a pick your own farm.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
As I’ve recently moved to the north of Scotland (Inverness) and also have a baby I’ve not got round to finding anywhere that I could pick blackberries yet, but it’s on my to do list for the future.
Some people say that thorny blackberries taste sweeter, so just be careful to only touch the blackberry, not the thorns while you are picking it.
Blackberries don’t ripen once they’re picked so make sure they are ripe when you pick them.
How to tell if blackberries are ripe
You can tell if a blackberry is ripe before you pick it as:
- It will come away freely from the branch
- It is a deep black colour, not purple or red
- It is plump and firm to the touch
Blackberry Smoothie with Basil
To be honest, I’m not actually a massive fan of raw blackberries. I find them a bit too tart for my liking. That could be because they are picked unripe, who knows! Anyway, throw them into a smoothie or a crumble and they take on a whole new dimension.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
This blackberry smoothie just has the freshest taste ever. It might sound a bit too unusual for you, but I really think it’s worth pushing yourself out of your comfort zone for this one. This is another smoothie that would be on my ‘regular smoothies’ list if blackberries were a bit cheaper here or if I could find a place locally to easily pick them.
This smoothie was originally found on Choosing Raw, and I loved it so much I actually featured it on my Top 10 Green Smoothies list. I have now decided I had to turn it into a Green Thickie (as I need my smoothies to fill me up!) so I’ve added in some oats, a few almonds and some raisins to sweeten it up. I think it’s just perfect!
[tweetherder]You might enjoy picking some free blackberries for this Blackberry smoothie with basil. [/tweetherder]
I can’t wait to take my baby blackberry picking when she’s a bit older. Do you ever go blackberry picking?Print
Blackberry Smoothie with basil (Green Smoothie/Green Thickie)
This fresh, sweet and aromatic blackberry smoothie has a twist. Basil works amazingly well with blackberries in this Green Smoothie.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Green Thickie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 2 Cups Water (If you are drinking this straight away substitute one cup of water for ice)
- 1 Cup Basil, loosely packed (Or any other mild green if you really can’t face basil but it really is delicious with the basil)
- ¼ Cup Almonds (or any plain seeds if you don’t eat nuts, or leave out for less calories).
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (Pure or ground vanilla has a better flavour)
- ½ Cup Raisins (or any other dried fruit which can also be pre-soaked for a smoother blend)
- 4 Cups Blackberries (I used one punnet of frozen blackberries)
- 1 Banana
- 1 drop of basil therapeutic grade essential oil.(Click here to find out where I buy my favourite therapeutic essential oils at wholesale prices)
- 1 Filler (Click here to choose a filler)
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- Blend the greens and liquid first and then blend the rest of the ingredients.
- This creates more space in your blender.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
The calories shown are for half of the ingredients listed as this smoothie serves 2. If you want less calories add less oats.
- Serving Size: 550 ml/20 oz /1 pint
- Calories: 549
- Sugar: 44g
- Sodium: 20mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 102g
- Fiber: 25g
- Protein: 15g
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started