Today I’m revealing How To Use Bananas For Sleep and giving you my Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe that will help you drift off into a more peaceful sleep than you’ve ever experienced.
Do you struggle to sleep? Did you know that people have been using bananas for sleep for centuries with great success? Funnily enough, when you eat bananas during the day they don’t have the same effect. This is because bananas provide natural nutrients which work in combination with your body’s natural cycles and the hormones released by your body depending on how dark it is outside. So at night when you lower the lights, and your body recognises it is time for bed, the nutrients in bananas will start to convert in the body and release the natural hormones needed to trigger your body to get to sleep.
So basically, whatever time of day you eat bananas you’ll feel the appropriate benefit, energised during the day and tired at bedtime.
Proof This Bedtime Banana Elixir Helps You Sleep
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Bananas have quite a few nutrients that help you sleep better.
Bananas contain a high level of vitamin B6. You get about 38% of your recommended daily dose of B6 from the one banana contained in this recipe.
Vitamin B6 plays an important role in the ability to get a good night sleep.
Vitamin B6 converts tryptophan into niacin (B3) and serotonin. B3 and Serotonin both play a crucial role in your body’s ability to get a good night sleep.
However, taking too much B6 in supplement form can actually cause insomnia too. That’s why it’s important to get nutrients from food where possible to avoid toxicity that comes from an excess of synthetic vitamins.
One banana also contains 16% of your recommended vitamin C daily dose. Studies have show that people who have low blood levels of vitamin C had more sleep issues and were more prone to waking up during the night.
One banana provides 20% of your daily manganese levels. If you are low on manganese this can give you low blood sugar which interferes with your sleep.
You get 11% of your daily magnesium minimum levels from the banana in this recipe. Most people in Western societies are low in magnesium. Magnesium has many functions in the role of a good night sleep. Including regulating the hormone melatonin, which controls your sleep cycles, and helps you relax and wind down at the end of the day.
So what about the other ingredients in this bedtime elixir? Why did I choose those?
Turmeric is another powerhouse of nutrition in this bedtime elixir.
Studies have shown that a compound within turmeric called curcumin lessened the symptoms associated with lack of sleep. Studies have also shown that taking turmeric relieves stress and improves your mood, which also helps you get a good night sleep.
The liquid base of this banana elixir is made from lemon balm (Melissa) tea, which not only tastes amazing, but studies have shown that it does help people to get a better night sleep. It also helps you improve your memory and mental function too.
Herbs and spices
A variety of other herbs and spices are included such as black pepper which helps the turmeric be absorbed better in the body. I also included other immune boosting herbs which also make the elixir taste great such as ginger, cloves, cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. These herbs also balance the blood sugar levels, satisfy the sweet tooth and help you to lose weight.
How To Use Bananas For Sleep
- 1 cup lemon balm tea made from loose tea leaves
- 1 banana
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ginger fresh or powdered
- Pinch cardamom powder
- Pinch cinnamon powder
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon turmeric fresh or powdered I used fresh
- Add 1 cup of boiling water to 1-2 teaspoons of lemon balm loose tea leaves.
- Steep the tea for 10 minutes. Get the other ingredients ready while the tea steeps.
- Add the banana, all of the spices and the steeped tea to a blender.
- Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Drink 30 minutes before you go to bed for a great night sleep.
- This banana elixir recipe is fairly sweet due to the banana, but if you want to make it a little sweeter, I suggest adding some date syrup to the recipe. Date syrup is a whole food, made up of whole dates, with nothing bad added and nothing good taken away. All of the fiber is still there, and no nasty fillers have been added.
- You can add 1-2 tablespoons of date syrup or other healthy sweetener to suit your taste buds and get even more body balancing nutrients from them.
Here are all the most popular resources that will help you take things to the next level:
- Over 200 Fruit Recipes: Complete Guide To Fruit
- 21 Lowest Calorie Fruits For Weight Loss List
- 10 Awesome New Ways To Eat More Fruits For Health
- Is Sugar And Fruit Bad For Us? (I Reveal The Truth)
- 10 Best Fruit Based Meals (Raw Vegan)
- FREE Weight Loss Green Smoothie Recipe Card
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020