Here’s a way to get your kids drinking green smoothies. Turn them all pink by adding just one simple ingredient:
Just a small sliver of beetroot will turn your smoothie a lovely pink colour and your kids will never know there are greens in the smoothie.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
A lot of kids won’t eat anything green and especially won’t drink green drinks. Who could blame them. I kind of agree that green thickies aren’t the most attractive looking drink in the world.
If you give greens smoothies to your kids early enough they don’t tend to mind the green colour but the older they get the more they don’t seem to like eating their greens at all.
My little 2 year old girl is a funny one. She has had green thickies from birth and loves them. She’d have them for every meal if she could. I generally give them to her in a coloured sippy cup so she can’t see the colour most of the time but it does drip out and she sees me pouring it in there so she knows it’s green.
However she won’t touch salad or any green vegetables on he r plate. But if I drop some lettuce on the floor by accident she’ll pounce on it like it’s a prized find. She also loves pottering around the garden picking leaves off my leafy greens and herbs and trying them making ‘Mmmmm’ noises as she goes. They do say when kids can see where their food comes from they’re more likely to eat it. So I’m definitely going to have to grow more veg with her as she gets older.
But if your kid won’t touch green drinks at all. Try this trick and drop some beetroot in your smoothie (whichever recipe you use) to turn it an attractive pink colour. They won’t be able to taste the beetroot or the greens.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Benefits of beetroot
There isn’t much beetroot isn’t good for! I wish I’d have known that beetroot was so good for anemia when I was pregnant and I would have eaten more of the stuff. Here’s more reasons to sneak some beetroot into your smoothie:
- Reduces blood pressure, risk of heard attacks and strokes
- Reduced risk of osteoporosis
- Lowers cholesterol
- Stabilises blood sugar
- Treats anemia and fatigue
- Slows the progression of dementia
If beetroot isn’t available where you are right now, why not try some powdered beetroot juice. This is highly concentrated juiced beetroot to intensify all beetroots goodness.
Here is a recipe for you to try with beetroot but feel free to add beetroot to any of my other recipes.Print
Fruity Beetroot Hidden Greens Smoothie
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds (or sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
- 2 cups Strawberries (or other berries)
- 2 Peaches (or 1 mango)
- 1/4 cup Raisins (Or dates or date paste)
Green Thickie (Optional):
- 1 cup Oats (Or other carbs)
Green Smoothie (Optional):
- 1 cup Kale (Or other mild greens)
Pink Smoothie (Optional):
- Half Small Beetroot (Raw) (Peeled)
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next. (If using) for a short time
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a green thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- This allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- This green thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie. Or read this guide on How to make a smoothie perfect every time.
Find out what greens you can add to your smoothie to ensure you get enough variety.
The RECIPE for DATE PASTE can be found here.
Suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu), salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
* If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet,) please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started