Green Overnight Oats
Green Smoothie in a bowl
Happy Valentines Day! To celebrate I’m bringing you something a bit different today. Overnight Oats! If you’ve never heard of overnight oats, it is a fantastic quick breakfast. You basically mix your oatmeal/porridge ingredients in a bowl, leave it overnight and in the morning you have lovely soft oatmeal ready to eat straight away.
So I thought I’d go one step further and make green overnight oats so we don’t miss out on all our leafy green goodness. This is a great breakfast for those who like to sit down with a bowl and a spoon and actually chew something. It’s still quick to make, and quick to eat though so it’s great for a weekend or a change from Green Thickies.
Benefits of Overnight Oats
- Breakfast is ready immediately in the morning, no more work to do.
- Gives you something to chew.
- It is a very filling breakfast so will keep you going all morning.
- A nice relaxing sit down breakfast
- Extremely healthy
- Breaks down phytic acid contained in all grains, which makes them much easier to digest
Benefit of soaking grains
I’ve been reading a lot about the benefit of soaking grains lately and I have always tried to soak my oats before I use them. I’m going to write more on this in the future, but I would recommend everyone soak their oats before adding to a smoothie especially if you have problems with digestion. For overnight oats, your oats soak overnight in the fridge which is much better for you.
Another way to ‘soak’ your oats for your smoothie is simply to make your green thickie as normal then leave your green thickie in the fridge overnight. Drink it in the morning and it will be a lot easier to digest and better for your health. However some of the nutrients evaporate so you have to weigh up the pros and cons. I always try and make my green thickies a day in advance as I like to have it ready immediately for my toddler and I as we are both hungry as soon as we get up. I never have a problem digesting my green thickies, so if you do it might be worth giving that a try.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
If you pre-soak your grains before adding them to your smoothie it will also make them easier to blend.
You can use any type of (plain) oats for your green thickie, but rolled (porridge) oats are better for your overnight oats as they will be soft enough to eat in the morning. I’ve not tried overnight oats with any other type of oats yet.
Have you ever made overnight oats? What are your favourite flavour combinations? You can use any flavours for overnight oats, just replace the strawberries and mangos with anything you like.
This breakfast is extremely filling as there is a double portion of oats, but you can make as much or as little as you like. This recipe serves 2 and should keep for up to 3 days in the fridge covered.
If the thought of a green breakfast doesn’t appeal to you, just make overnight oats without the greens to start with.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Green Thickie’s Overnight Oats: Filling Green Smoothie in a bowl
- Prep Time: 2 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 Minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 2 cups Dairy Free Milk
- 1 cup Oats
- 2 cups Spinach (Or other mild greens)
- 1.5 Mangos (Or 1.5 Cups of Mango)
- 1/4 cup Cashew Nuts (or Macademia nuts)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (Vanilla pod or Ground Vanilla)
- 1/4 cup Date Paste (Dates, dried fruit or other healthy sweetener to taste)
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 cups Strawberries (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Mango (Chopped)
- Blend all the ingredients for the Green Thickie until smooth.
- Divide the green thickie, and the ingredients for the overnight oats between 2 large bowls.
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning you can eat it straight from the bowl. Some people like to warm their overnight oats slightly before they eat them to take the chill off them. You can also leave them to room temperature before you eat them.
- This recipe serves 2 but you may need less than 1 serving to fill yourself up.
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie. Or read this guide on How to make a smoothie perfect every time.
- Find out more about adding OATS or QUINOA to your smoothies.
- The RECIPE for DATE PASTE can be found here.
- Suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk), salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
- * If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet,) please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
- Serving Size: 500 ml/ 1 pint/ 20 oz
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started