This is a great healthy muesli recipe. It is a bowl of cereal in a glass with all your added extra ingredients for a healthy balanced meal.
It doesn’t seem so strange to add oats to your smoothies but muesli is not something we are used to adding to a drink. Muesli gives this smoothie a rich toasted taste. With a first taste of sesame, followed by the sharpness of romaine lettuce, you are left with a pleasant sweet lingering taste from this green thickie.
Muesli, invented by a Swedish doctor was popular in the 1960s as it contained all aspects of a healthy meal, fruits, fibre, protein and calcium. Go one step further and add fresh fruit and greens to it for a powerful complete meal breakfast. Health benefits of muesli are that the rich source of protein can help in strengthening the bone and improving the health of the hair.
In the UK, we don’t have much choice with our romaine lettuces. They often taste very bitter and are all exactly the same. So try this with romaine lettuce if you can find a palatable one, but if you can’t feel free to add some greens that aren’t so overpowering such as spinach.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Healthy Muesli Smoothie Recipe: Healthy Hair
- - 1 Cup Water
- - 1 Cup Dairy free milk like this
- - 1 Cup mangoes
- - 1 Banana
- - 1 Cup muesli like this
- - 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds like this
- - ½ Cup dates or any other dried fruit (like this)
- - 1 Cup romaine lettuce
- OR if you run out of fresh greens add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost. (like this)
- Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- 1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- 2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- 3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- More tips:
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- - Add more water if required to thin it out.
- - Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- - If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- - Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- - This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
- Suitable for Special Diets:
- - Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- - Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- - Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
- - Salt free (don't add salt)
- - Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn't include coconuts)
- More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
Click here to pin this
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020