This Homemade Cookie Dough Smoothie can also be easily turned into a protein shake by including the optional natural plant based protein such as nuts or seeds.
As well as this lovely moreish Homemade Cookie Dough Green Smoothie recipe, I have been very inspired lately on lots of different levels and couldn’t wait to share it with you.
Although I’ve been posting regularly, I wrote a few posts before going on holiday so I’ve actually had a break from blogging.
We went to visit family and friends for 9 days across Scotland and England and we came back feeling so refreshed and raring to go.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
We thought it would be a lot of hard work as we’d found travelling with our baby hard work before, but it actually felt like a proper holiday this time. I think the glorious weather had something to do with it though.
It’s grey up North
We live in north of Scotland, Inverness where we hardly get any hours of daylight in the winter and far too many in the summer, but daylight and sunshine are two totally different things.
And apart from 3 days this year it has literally been grey, cold, miserable and raining practically every day. I’m a real outdoorsy person so I never really feel myself when I don’t get fresh air.
My Love/Hate relationship with the sun
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Before I adopted a more healthy diet, me and the sun didn’t get on at all. After 5 minutes in the sun I would be dizzy, weak with a headache and have such bad sunstroke I had to come inside and sleep it off.
Needless to say holidays abroad have been a bit difficult or non existent.
Anyway, as soon as I started a raw food diet I could immediately sit out in the hot sun, and after a few months I could run in the hot sun too.
When I went back to cooked vegan food I thought I may go back to sun intolerance, and I’ve had so little sunshine I’ve not been able to test my theory, until now.
We sat out in families back gardens eating dinner, had picnics and did some short walks and I felt absolutely fine. In fact I felt better than fine, I felt totally alive.
I think this is one of the major areas of health that was severely lacking so it’s great to finally have the opportunity to be healthy in this area.
Staying Healthy on Holiday
In the past, I’ve treated holidays as an excuse to binge on chocolate and junk food, even vegan junk food once I became a vegan. I dropped all my healthy eating and generally felt ill and tired throughout every holiday.
This holiday I was determined it was going to be different especially as I have a baby to look after. She’s now on solids so it’s important for me to keep her food healthy and consistent. So I packed up my cheap blender and made us both green thickies every morning.
I made such a big batch of green thickies that I ended up drinking them for lunch too which was really flexible to carry them around in my big travel mugs, and if we went for a meal anywhere I just got a salad as I wasn’t hungry.
I think it made the world of difference to how I felt and even though we weren’t getting much sleep as our baby was waking up earlier and earlier with the light, I didn’t feel bad for it at all.
Amazingly I also didn’t put on any weight at all which is also a first for me. Usually I put on at least 6lbs when I go on holiday.
It was also a good excuse to try out my less powerful blender so I can give better advice to those who haven’t invested in such a good blender. I’ll be giving you some hints and tips to make your green thickies really smooth in any blender in future posts.
Mid year health resolutions
If you haven’t read my latest post about how to dramatically improve your health in 20 minutes – I talk a lot about balancing your health.
I actually wrote the bulk of this post before I left for my holiday but it was funny, a lot of the reading I did echoed what I said in the post so I think it’s definitely time for me at least to take my health to the next level.
I realised there were certain areas that were lacking.
So I’ve come back afresh from my holidays and have several ‘After Holiday’ resolutions to improve my health:
1) Drink more water rather than herbal tea. I have now been drinking 2 litres of plain water a day. I drink a pint of water 30 minutes before every meal. I already feel loads better from doing this and my skin is looking much more hydrated.
2) Get to bed by 10pm. I have to say, I find this most difficult. With a baby the day goes so fast, there is always so many chores to do in the evening and I also like to work on my blog plus squeeze in a little bit of time to relax. It doesn’t exactly lend itself to getting to bed earlier but I’m going to keep working on it as I know when I have a decent 8 hours sleep I feel so good the next day.
3) Have one rest day per week. This is biblical and before baby and blogging days I didn’t have to force myself to have rest day per week but now it feels like non stop and when I’m not preparing something in the kitchen or doing baby things I’m on my computer. So this will probably make the world of difference.
4) Have regular fasts. This is also biblical and something I’ve never done before unless forced into a fast through illness. I think I’ve tried a couple of times but always felt so ill I couldn’t even go without one meal. Now that my diet is a lot healthier I am wondering if I can tolerate a fast more easily. I think it will be good for me spiritually, a good discipline, and great for my health. Although I’m feeling healthier than ever I still have some lingering small health problems that I’d love to clear up and I’m not sure just changing my diet is enough. I think I eat so frequently that my body never has a chance to work on old health problems.
5) Give the day over to God. I must admit, since I had a baby I’ve barely had time for God and my faith has been totally squeezed out. This needs to change and the only one who can change this is me. I think I’m ready for this now.
6) Make a fresh evening meal every day. Big batches of freezer meals have been a life saver since my baby has been born and I’ve only had to cook once a week. However I’ve just been given a slow cooker which seems the perfect invention for Mums with young children. I can’t always be available to cook an hour before dinner needs to be on the table as my baby might be needing a feed. So if I start the slow cooker first thing in the morning, there will be a lovely fresh meal ready for when my husband gets home from work. Perfect!
I don’t know about you, but a bit of sunshine always makes me feel more positive about things and gets me more motivation to improve my life and my health. So summer is the best time of year for me to start some resolutions.
Is there anything you’ve improved about your life recently or anything about your health you need to work on?
Homemade Cookie Dough: Green Smoothie of the week
This homemade cookie dough green smoothie recipe was inspired by a recipe on The Veggie Nook blog that I’ve recently discovered. Gabby posts so many delicious healthy vegan recipes that I literally want to try them all. If you are looking for some great plant based food recipes, this is a very good place to start.
The original recipe was made thicker because it was served in a bowl which is a great idea if you want to swap a green thickie for your normal bowl of cereal. I am going to do this at some point but at the moment it’s still much more convenient for me to drink them as I can get on with other things.
If you like Cookie Dough, you’ll love this recipe.
It’s definitely a dessert thickie as well as a green smoothie of the week (bonus 2 recipes in one), so it will be really filling, fulfill your dessert cravings and still be extremely healthy as it contains greens.
I made a dessert thickie with no greens for my husband and added greens for me and my baby which is why one of the smoothies is cookie coloured and the other is green.Print
Homemade Cookie Dough: Green Smoothie of the week and some mid year Health Resolutions
This homemade cookie dough green smoothie recipe is so filling, will fulfil your dessert cravings and is still extremely healthy as it contains greens.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Green Thickie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 2 Cups Non Dairy Milk (oat, rice, soya, almond, hemp, coconut drink or raw nut or seed milk)
- 2 Bananas
- 2 Cup Kale, tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed. (Or Spinach or any other mild greens) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- 1 Cup Oats (use raw oat groats if following a raw food diet or if you don’t have a powerful blender you can soak the oats in one of the cups of liquid for an hour first if you want to make it smoother)
- 2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
- ½ Cup dates (or any other dried fruit)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice of half a lemon
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- Blend the ingredients a few at a time so that your blender can cope with the work, unless you’ve got a high powered blender, then you might be able to add them all in at once.
- If it gets too thick, add more water as necessary.
- If your blender has made the smoothie too warm, you can either cool it down in the fridge or freezer, or add some ice cubes or frozen fruit to it (This might water the flavour down).
- Special Diets: Gluten free, raw, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, sugar free, wheat free, soya free, salt free, nut free
- See all of my favorite essential healthy ingredients needed to make these recipes AND all of the best resources and products I can’t live without by clicking here.
- Serving Size: 550 ml/20 oz /1 pint
If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet, please read this first.
Comments are extremely welcomed. Many thanks and blessings to you.
This recipe is a blended complete meal containing natural protein sources and leafy greens. If you’d like any more information about these topics, check out my complete guides below:
- The Ultimate Smoothie Blender Guide
- The Only Guide To Protein Shakes You’ll Ever Need
- Over 50 Spinach Recipes: The Complete Collection
- The Complete Guide To Green Smoothies
- The Essential Guide To Meal Replacement Shakes
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020