As I live in Inverness, Scotland next to the shores of Loch Ness, I thought this was quite a fitting name for this smoothie. Here I am at Loch Ness last year looking for monsters.
This Loch Ness Monster Smoothie contains Spirulina which is a blue green algae reported to be very good for you. I’m going to tell you why I started eating spirulina and about the amazing health benefits of spirulina.
What is Spirulina Powder?
Spirulina is a natural algae made into a powder that is very high in protein and nutrients. It is possibly one of the most dense nutrient sources available. It is mainly made up of protein and essential amino acids, and is especially high in natural iron.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Health Benefits of Spirulina
- Dried spirulina contains about 60% protein. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids. Protein is essential for building and repairing your body and general health.
- Spirulina contains Omega 3-6 and 9s which are good for brain function.
- Spirulina is very high in Chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
- Spirulina is also extremely high in calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk. Calcium is essential to build strong bones.
- Spirulina can also increase fat burning during exercise.
Is Spirulina Safe?
Some people may be worried about the safety of Spirulina as it’s a natural substance, but the evidence suggests spirulina is probably safe.
In a 2009 study, 550 malnourished children were fed up to 10 g/day of spirulina powder, with no adverse effects. This page tells us that dozens of human clinical studies have similarly shown no harmful effects to spirulina supplementation.
You can usually find spirulina in most health foods or if you want to get some spirulina from the comfort of your own home you can buy a good source of Spirulina here.
Loch Ness Monster Spirulina Smoothie
A lot of people don’t like the taste of spirulina but I actually really like the taste in a smoothie. This smoothie is sweet enough to mask the taste of spirulina if you don’t like it.
Spirulina makes your smoothie turn a beautiful shade of blue/green. I don’t normally like to add too many powders and so called ‘superfoods’ to my diet but here in the UK we struggle to get hold of many types of leafy greens and I needed more variety of them in my smoothie. So I add spirulina now to my smoothies on a regular basis.
Loch Ness Monster Smoothie and Health Benefits of Spirulina
Fruit Smoothie Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/4 cup of Raisins Dates, or use your own healthy sweetener to taste
- 1/4 cup of Dried Coconut
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Mango
- 2 Bananas
- Juice 1 Lemon
To make into a Fruit Thickie add:
- 1 Cup Oats Like this (or one cup of Quinoa like this)
To make into a Green Thickie add:
- 1 tablespoon Spirulina Like this
- 1 Cup Oats Like this (or one cup of Quinoa like this)
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020