As I live in Inverness, Scotland next to the shores of Loch Ness, I thought this was quite a fitting name for this smoothie. Here I am at Loch Ness last year looking for monsters.
This Loch Ness Monster Smoothie contains Spirulina which is a blue green algae reported to be very good for you. I’m going to tell you why I started eating spirulina and about the amazing health benefits of spirulina.
What is Spirulina Powder?
Spirulina is a natural algae made into a powder that is very high in protein and nutrients. It is possibly one of the most dense nutrient sources available. It is mainly made up of protein and essential amino acids, and is especially high in natural iron.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Health Benefits of Spirulina
- Dried spirulina contains about 60% protein. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids. Protein is essential for building and repairing your body and general health.
- Spirulina contains Omega 3-6 and 9s which are good for brain function.
- Spirulina is very high in Chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
- Spirulina is also extremely high in calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk. Calcium is essential to build strong bones.
- Spirulina can also increase fat burning during exercise.
Is Spirulina Safe?
Some people may be worried about the safety of Spirulina as it’s a natural substance, but the evidence suggests spirulina is probably safe.
In a 2009 study, 550 malnourished children were fed up to 10 g/day of spirulina powder, with no adverse effects. This page tells us that dozens of human clinical studies have similarly shown no harmful effects to spirulina supplementation.
You can usually find spirulina in most health foods or if you want to get some spirulina from the comfort of your own home you can buy a good source of Spirulina here.
Loch Ness Monster Spirulina Smoothie
A lot of people don’t like the taste of spirulina but I actually really like the taste in a smoothie. This smoothie is sweet enough to mask the taste of spirulina if you don’t like it.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Spirulina makes your smoothie turn a beautiful shade of blue/green. I don’t normally like to add too many powders and so called ‘superfoods’ to my diet but here in the UK we struggle to get hold of many types of leafy greens and I needed more variety of them in my smoothie. So I add spirulina now to my smoothies on a regular basis.Print
Loch Ness Monster Smoothie and Health Benefits of Spirulina
This Loch Ness Spirulina Smoothie will provide all the wonderful health benefits of the ocean.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie
Fruit Smoothie Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/4 cup of Raisins (Dates, or use your own healthy sweetener to taste)
- 1/4 cup of Dried Coconut
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Mango
- 2 Bananas
- Juice 1 Lemon
To make into a Green Smoothie add:
- 1 tablespoon Spirulina Powder (Like this)
To make into a Fruit Thickie add:
To make into a Green Thickie add:
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
– Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
– This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
Suitable for Special Diets:
– Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
– Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
– Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
– Salt free (don’t add salt)
– Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie:
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
- Serving Size: 2
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ...
And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
- 1 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe (Blender, Raw, Vegan, No Refined Sugar) - February 17, 2020
- Easiest Mango Smoothie Recipe (2 Ingredient, Raw, Vegan) - February 1, 2020
- How To Ripen A Mango Faster (Or More Slowly) - January 3, 2020