Refreshing Pumpkin Smoothie
Green Smoothie/ Green Thickie
Sometimes we can start indulging too quickly in stodgy pumpkin pie cakes and puddings and feel the need for something more refreshing. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for satisfying autumnal cravings for all things orange as well as giving us a citrus infused refreshing kick.
Benefits of pumpkin
Pumpkins are extremely low in calories and fat. Did you know that one cup of raw chopped pumpkin only has about 25 calories? That means you can throw pumpkin into your smoothie to your hearts content and not have to worry about overdoing the calories.
Pumpkin is also nice and sweet which means we’ll probably not need to use as much sweetener in this recipe.
Pumpkins are rich in antioxidants, high in fiber and a great source of vitamins. Pumpkin seeds are extremely nutrient dense. If you want to know how to perfectly roast your pumpkin seeds, Oh She Glows has a great tutorial.
Can you eat raw pumpkin?
Yes you can eat raw pumpkin and you can eat raw pumpkin seeds. I find raw pumpkin seeds a bit chewy though so I don’t enjoy them raw. The best type of pumpkin to eat raw is a ‘pie pumpkin’. If you are going to eat raw pumpkin it is much better to blend it to use in a smoothie or a pie as it’s harder to digest eaten as it is.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
I was planning on using my pumpkin raw for this recipe but when I opened it up, it was green inside and very hard so I didn’t really fancy adding it raw. Also it was very tough to slice the skin off so I thought it would be much easier to bake it too.
Orange juice and pumpkin smoothie
If you want to bake your pumpkin, you can put in whole or halved straight into the oven on a baking tray. Cook at 350 F for 45-60 minutes. It will then be very easy to peel the skin off (wait for it to cool first) and scoop the seeds out. If you have a high speed blender, you can add the seeds to your smoothie too.
This smoothie is very spicy, not too sweet and very refreshing due to the cup of orange juice. Use your citrus squeezer to quickly juice 1 cup of orange juice. (This squeezer will work for limes, lemons and orange quarters). Adjust the spices and sweetener (raisins) to suit your own tastes.
[tweetherder]This orange juice & pumpkin smoothie is a refreshing break from all the stodgy autumnal recipes.[/tweetherder]
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Other News: Challenge Testimonials
Well the first public 7 day Green Thickies Challenge has come to an end. I’ve already heard some great success stories that have arisen from this challenge. I’m going to start sharing some inspiring testimonials, probably on a weekly basis. So I’m asking for your help. Do you have an inspiring story to share with me? I’d love to hear any stories about how green smoothies or green thickies have helped you improve your health or lose some weight. If you’d love to see your story published, then please share it with me, either by my contact form, or by emailing me at GreenThickies AT gmail.com . It doesn’t matter if your story is short, I can always post 2 stories together.
Would this be something you would be interested in reading more of?Print
Orange Juice and Pumpkin Smoothie
This orange juice and pumpkin smoothie is a refreshing break from all the stodgy autumnal recipes. You can use either cooked or raw pumpkin in this drink.
- Prep Time: 2 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 1 Cup Water (If you are drinking this straight away substitute one cup of water for ice)
- 1 Cup of freshly squeezed Orange juice
- 1 Cup Spinach, tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed. (Or any other mild greens)OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- 1/4 Cup Raisins (or any other dried fruit which can also be pre-soaked for a smoother blend)
- 1 Cup Oats, one cup of Quinoa Or 1 Cup of Sweet Potato
- 2 cups Pumpkin, raw or cooked, chopped.
- 2 Bananas
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice (or mixed spice)
- Pinch of Cloves
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- Blend the greens and liquid first and then blend the rest of the ingredients. This creates more space in your blender.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
The calories shown are for half of the ingredients listed as this smoothie serves 2. If you want less calories add less oats.
- Serving Size: 500 ml/ 1 pint/ 20 oz
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ...
And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
- 1 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe (Blender, Raw, Vegan, No Refined Sugar) - February 17, 2020
- Easiest Mango Smoothie Recipe (2 Ingredient, Raw, Vegan) - February 1, 2020
- How To Ripen A Mango Faster (Or More Slowly) - January 3, 2020