There are so many people who are avoiding fruit at the moment for one reason or another. Some can’t tolerate it, some think the sugar in it is bad for them and others just don’t like it. Just for the record, I not only love fruit (at the moment while I’m pregnant but I haven’t always loved fruit) but believe it’s one of the most healthy, natural and healing foods we can eat, and as long as we eat it raw and whole (or blended up) then the sugar is exactly what our bodies need to function at an optimum level.
Is fruit unhealthy?
However sometimes fruit can cause problems if people are allergic to it, or they are eating unripe fruit (bad for you) or if they are combining fruit with a diet that is full of processed unhealthy fatty foods. Then fruit can disagree with us. People often think fruit causes them digestive problems too, and it can if you eat it after a big, rich meal. This is because fruit digests so quickly that if it can’t pass straight through our bodies then it gets stuck and starts to ferment and give us gas, bloating and stomach aches. Sometimes the meal you have eaten the night before hasn’t digested yet and your healthy fruit breakfast might still get stuck behind the big meal and cause you problems.
I actually think fruit is the most perfect food we can eat as in nature we can pick it straight from the tree, and eat it straight away without cooking it or processing it in any way. It is also appealing to us in it’s appearance, smell and taste. However we’ve become so obsessed with sugar being so bad for us that we are trying to avoid it in all forms. But our body does need sugar, just natural sugar from whole foods, not refined processed sugar that causes us so many problems.
Creamy, filling smoothie recipe without fruit
This recipe is for all those people who ask me for a smoothie without fruit. However the definition of a smoothie is a thick, smooth drink of fresh fruit pureed with milk, yoghurt or ice cream. So this is technically not a smoothie anymore, but it looks like a smoothie and tastes like a smoothie to me so I’m still going to call it a smoothie.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Despite the fact it contains no fruit, it’s actually quite sweet. That’s because it’s made with coconut, almonds and oats which are all naturally sweet nuts and grains but contain no fruit.
I don’t think I’ll be drinking this one on a regular basis as I love the sweetness of fruit and the nutrients that they give me but I’m sure you’ll enjoy this if you are on a fruit free or sugar free diet.
This recipe is made using Coconut Butter / Creamed Coconut. This can be quite expensive so you can either make your own or use coconut milk instead. TIP: If you are buying this coconut butter tends to be more expensive and creamed coconut cheaper but they are exactly the same thing. You can get reasonably priced creamed coconut here.
If you have been feeling tired lately and are stuck indoors most of the time, you could do with reading my latest blog post on Love Health, Love Life all about my latest experiments with combating Vitamin D deficiency fatigue.
Just a reminder to check back tomorrow for the latest installment of the blog hop, Healthy Vegan Fridays where you can read and share a variety of health related articles and healthy recipes.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Delicious No Fruit Smoothie Recipe (sugar free smoothie recipe)
If you are avoiding fruit but want a quick breakfast that will keep you going, try this Creamy Filling No Fruit Smoothie. It actually tastes fairly sweet.
- Prep Time: 2 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 1/3 cup Coconut Butter/ Creamed Coconut (Or use 1/2 Cup of Coconut milk from a tin)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (Or cut up a vanilla pod or use ground vanilla)
- 1 cup Ice (If you are not drinking this straight away you can use water instead and store in the fridge to cool down.)
- Pinch Sea Salt
Green Smoothie (Optional):
- 2 cups Spinach/ Other mild greens OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- If you are making a green smoothie blend the greens and liquid first and then blend the rest of the ingredients. This creates more space in your blender.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- This smoothie serves 2 but if you have an active job, do work outs or have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink both servings.
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie. Or read this guide on How to make a smoothie perfect every time.
- Find out more about adding OATS or QUINOA to your smoothies.
- Suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk), salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
- * If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet,) please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
- Serving Size: 500 ml/ 1 pint/ 20 oz
I know you may not have time to digest all this right now, so I wanted to give you a handy print out of this blog post so you can stick it on your fridge to help you on your journey to optimal health.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ...
And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
- 1 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe (Blender, Raw, Vegan, No Refined Sugar) - February 17, 2020
- Easiest Mango Smoothie Recipe (2 Ingredient, Raw, Vegan) - February 1, 2020
- How To Ripen A Mango Faster (Or More Slowly) - January 3, 2020