The Ingredients that will feed my family for the next 5 days
It’s taken so much planning to get my shopping for the next 5 days within budget but I’ve finally managed it. I actually came in under budget which allows me the use of some herbs and spices in my meals and some extra emergency snacks in case any of us are in need of some more food.
Here is a list of what I bought for the 5 days to feed the 3 of us in our family. Our budget was £15 for 5 days which works out at £1 per person per day.
- 1KG Rolled Oats: £0.75
- 1KG Frozen Spinach: £1.20
- 20 Bananas: £1.97
- 250g Flaxseeds (Linseeds): £0.99
- 1.5KG Wholemeal Breadflour: £1.39
- 1KG Onions: £0.63
- Tin Kidney Beans £0.21
- 1.3KG Cannellini Beans: £1.09
- 1KG Mixed Frozen Vegetables: £0.75
- 2.5KG New Potatoes: £1.90
- 500g Passata: £0.29
- 16 Apples: £2.00
Total : £13.17
This is a fair bit under budget but I do want to allow for some more just in case food if I feel like this won’t be enough to keep us from getting hungry.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
When I look at the ingredients I can’t believe this is all we’re going to be living on. It looks so boring to me, but I think my meals are a lot more tempting than the raw ingredients. That’s the thing with ingredients, you can be creative and no 2 meals have to look the same. But when you buy ready meals you have no option but to eat it exactly as it is.
I planned my shopping for the week based on the Tesco online prices and when I got to my local Tesco store a few of the ingredients were 10 or 20p more than the figure quoted online. Normally I may not even notice these kind of things, but the odd 10 or 20p can make the difference between affording to come in under budget or not.
Another 2 things that I found difficult about buying my food for this experiment at Tesco were:
- Almost all my bananas had black and bruised chunks on them. Luckily I found this out before I actually needed to eat them. I had to buy my bananas about a week in advance so they would have time to ripen. I was lucky that I had more bananas so I could replace the bruised chunks but if I truly didn’t have any extra money I’d have to take them back to the shop for a refund which may cost some people more bus fare and wouldn’t be worth it.
- When I was trying to price up the apples in the shop, I couldn’t decide between the bag of value apples and the bags of apples on special offer. I was told how much each apple cost per bag but it didn’t seem right to me so I got out my calculator and worked it out myself. It turns out the apples were much cheaper per apple than they were actually quoted for some reason. In the end there wasn’t much in it but the apples on special offer were twice the size so I went with them.
Although there are 2 packs of flour in the photo I have only planned to use one for my meals and the other will serve as my emergency food in case we need it but hopefully we’ll be fine on what I’ve already planned.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Can you guess what my meals are going to be based on my ingredients? What would you make with these ingredients? Stay tuned for tomorrow’s blog where I’ll show you our food for the day and tell you if we’ve felt at all hungry on our first day on the challenge.
You can read all about this challenge and my first post about it here, and read about my preparations here. If you read yesterday’s preparations, you may have seen my little quiz where I asked which you thought were better value, the tinned beans or the dried beans I’ll give you the answer now. There was actually very little in it at all, they were pretty much the same price for the quantity of beans in weight. So basically if you have more free time I’d opt for the dried beans, but if you have limited time then opt for the tinned beans. I do perhaps have more free time so I chose the dried beans. I also like to use food that has had as little processing as possible and the dried beans will be a healthier option.
Besides which, my little girl is allowed to ‘play’ with dried beans and hold them for me in the shop, but she doesn’t get to play with tins.
I’m already really enjoying preparing for this challenge as I’ve been reading some very inspiring blogs from other people. I’ll be sharing more of these in the next few days.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started