15 Reasons to eat a blended food diet
I was recently asked why I would bother blending up my water, berries, greens, oats, nuts and seeds into a green thickie (filling green smoothie) rather than just enjoying eating the foods on their own. There are a number of reasons I blend up my food into smoothies and eat a mainly blended food diet.
1) Faster to eat your meals: I don’t have time to sit down and enjoy my food as I have an active baby who takes about 2 minutes to finish her breakfast, so it’s much better for me to drink sips in between getting on with other jobs.
2) Fruit and vegetables are very chewy: I’m a very slow eater and like to chew my food thoroughly so it can take me an hour to eat a salad and I don’t have the luxury to be able to do that at every meal.
3) Greens have a bitter taste: I don’t really enjoy raw broccoli, kale or spinach so it’s a great way for me to get my greens if I don’t notice they are there in a smoothie. You will gain much more benefit by eating the raw greens rather than cooking them.
4) Nutrients are absorbed much more quickly into the body: After I’ve drunk a green smoothie I feel light and full of energy, however I don’t feel so light after eating a meal that hasn’t been blended. Most of the ingredients in a smoothie are raw which means the nutrients are preserved instead of being destroyed during the cooking process.
5) It is much easier for the body to digest blended food.: I find it much easier to digest all foods in a smoothie. I never have any digestive trouble after a green thickie, where as I still sometimes have digestion problems if I eat food in the wrong order, for example if I ate oranges after my main cooked meal I would usually get a stomach ache.
6) Smoothies taste delicious: I prefer the taste of a smoothie instead of eating the items separately as you can add herbs and spices which make smoothies taste amazing. For example, take some forest fruits, oats, pecans, spinach and mango and throw in some dates, pecans and vanilla and you’ve got yourself a Black Forest Fruit Cake Dessert Smoothie. This smoothie tastes so amazing like an indulgent dessert. I can’t imagine enjoying any of the raw ingredients anywhere near as much as I adore this smoothie.
7) Easy to digest: When you drink blended food the body doesn’t waste energy digesting it so it actually gives you more energy. The body can use this extra energy for healing so it’s more beneficial for people with health problems. I always feel more alert and awake when I eat mainly blended foods even after a bad night sleep.
8) Eat a truck load of greens without noticing: You can pack many more greens into a smoothie than you would normally eat. Green are so amazingly good for you, but we don’t eat anywhere near enough. Adding a couple of large handfuls to your morning smoothie will help you more than you’ll ever realise and let’s face it, would you ever normally eat spinach for breakfast?
9) Faster meal preparation: It’s quicker to blend up a smoothie than make other meals with the same ingredients. It takes much more planning and preparation trying to work out what you are going to cook for lunch or dinner.
10) No cooking time: You don’t have to wait for smoothies to cook. They are ready straight away.
11) Less washing up to do: Just rinse your blender with water straight away and it takes seconds.
12) Eat less fat: Most people cook with some added fats whether it’s oil on a salad dressing or in a stir fri. They add butter to their bread or potatoes and sauces. With a smoothie people are more likely to get healthier fats or can avoid high fat foods completely if they choose to.
13) Better for your teeth: When you drink your food you avoid food getting stuck in between your teeth which can cause a lot of problems especially if you don’t floss.
14) Get more liquids with your blended food: You have to add water or another liquid to your smoothies and as most of us suffer from chronic dehydration, it’s no bad thing to have an excuse to get some more liquid.
15) Easily use up leftovers: Smoothies are a great way to use up leftover fruit and greens in the same way as you might put your leftover veg in a soup.
So if that doesn’t convince you to get your blender out, nothing will! How much blended food do you usually eat? Why do you eat blended foods? Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
News Update: This post on a blended food diet couldn’t have come at a better time as for 7 days I am trying a Green Thickie Challenge. I will drink nothing but Green Thickies during this week. I’m going to be sharing my mid week findings on Wednesday with you for my first ‘What I ate Wednesday’ post, so make sure you come back for that plus 2 new green thickie recipes this week. If you want to take part in the Green Thickie challenge, you can sign up here. Read about how I lost 56 pounds on a mainly smoothies diet.
This post has been shared with these Fabulous blog hops.Green Thickies also co-hosts a blog hop, Healthy Vegan Fridays so join us on Friday to find fabulous health related articles and healthy recipes.. The best type of blender to make Green Thickies is a Vitamix and you will get beautifully smooth Green Thickies, but you can use whatever type of blender you have or can afford. This blender is reasonably priced and will easily make green thickies along with lots of other delicious food.
Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
If you have enjoyed this post please pin it to Pinterest, Tweet it or share it on facebook (below) so others can enjoy it. Many thanks.