Easy Apple Pie Smoothie: Dessert Thickie
We all love our desserts but we don’t love what they do to our waistlines and health. Unless you make a healthy thick dessert smoothie – A Thickie! These are great for breakfast and they are so decadent that you can literally enjoy them at any time of day especially after a meal as a sweet treat. You can also freeze them and make them into ice lollies.
I am starting a series of dessert Thickies that I have been experimenting with lately so keep coming back to check out the latest dessert thickie.
I still totally believe in the power of greens and don’t like to have very many drinks that don’t contain greens but I love these dessert thickies at the weekend for a treat. They are also great for making for other people as everyone will really love them. Once you have them hooked with a great tasting smoothie, ask them if they would notice if you dropped a couple of spinach leaves in and would they will still try it? A great way to get kids drinking green smoothies too is to start off with a great taste like this and add a couple more green leaves every day until they get used to the colour. They won’t be able to taste the greens at all as these dessert thickies are so sweet, as every dessert should be. But you don’t have to worry, they all contain healthy sweeteners or mostly whole dried fruit which I prefer.
Apple Pie is one of my all time favourite desserts so this Healthy Apple Pie Smoothie was an obvious thickie to start with. I don’t always enjoy eating apples on their own, but mix apple with a bit of cinnamon and some other great ingredients and I can’t get enough.
You know the old saying, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. It’s so true. The humble apple has so many benefits including preventing diabetes. Even if your kids won’t eat them raw, they will be asking you for seconds of this smoothie.
Although I’ve given you the calories for one large serving (half the recipe) you may want to only consume a quarter of the recipe so you don’t take in so many calories if you are just having this as a snack. If you have this as a meal it will fill you up for a very long time. I have these at the weekends and I am still able to lose weight over a whole week. These are also perfect for a pre or post workout meal.
Gluten free*, raw*, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, sugar free, wheat free*, soya free*, salt free, nut free*
- 2 Cups Non Dairy Milk (oat, rice, soya, almond, hemp, coconut drink or raw nut or seed milk)
- 1 Banana
- 2 Apples
- ¼ Cup Pecans
- ½ Cup dates (or any other dried fruit)
- 1 Cup Oats (use raw oat groats if following a raw food diet or oatmeal if you don’t have a powerful blender)
- 1 teaspoon Cinammon
- ½ teaspoon Allspice/Mixed Spice
- Optional: 1 Cup Spinach or other mild greens
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- Blend the ingredients a few at a time so that your blender can cope with the work, unless you’ve got a high powered blender, then you might be able to add them all in at once.
- If it gets too thick, add more water as necessary.
- If your blender has made the smoothie too warm, you can either cool it down in the fridge or freezer, or add some ice cubes or frozen fruit to it (You may need to add more water as this will thicken it further).
If you want to ensure this recipe is gluten free or wheat free, either use gluten free oats or substitute the oats for another healthy gluten free grain such as brown rice or quinoa.
If you want to ensure this recipe is raw, ensure all your ingredients are raw. Include raw oat groats or raw buckwheat. Include raw nut or seed milk or water instead of the oat milk.
All the Green Thickie recipes on this website are suitable for vegetarians and vegans and are dairy free. They do not include any animal products at all.
If you are avoiding soya, use a soya free milk.
Feel free to add a healthy sweetener that fits in with your diet or avoid extra sweeteners altogether. Feel free to substitute sweeteners with whole fruits such as date to increase the sweetness. All the recipes are sugar free.
No green thickie recipes contain salt.
All recipes are suitable for babies as they contain no salt or sugar. Substitue seeds for nuts to make these recipes nut free if you are avoiding potential allergens.
If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet, please read this first.
I have shared this with Wellness Weekends.
Did you enjoy this post? Like my Facebook Page for fun, freebies and interesting facts, and subscribe to my FREE 12 week e-course to get started with Green Smoothies, lose weight and transform your health. Please comment below.
Latest posts by Katherine Natalia @ Green Thickies (see all)
- 1 Minute Blender Mint & Choc Vegan Hot Chocolate - December 8, 2013
- Healthy Vegan Friday 72: Best Vegan Recipes Roundup - December 6, 2013
- $1000 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway – December 2013 - December 4, 2013