Who made you the person you are today?
Do you have a guru or an expert that completely turned your life around?
A lot of people give credit to just one person for helping them make that shift and they religiously follow everything they do.
Someone asked me who my favourite guru was the other day.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
I wracked my brain for a long time before finally coming up with the answer…
I don’t have a favourite guru.
It’s not that I haven’t learned from anybody because I have.
I have read over 300 health related books and followed many gurus, but I’m afraid there isn’t one that actually stands out as my favourite.
I did used to have favourites but I’ve since changed my mind
After following strict diets in the past, I have religiously followed people and used to agree with every word they say.
For example, there are some raw food gurus that I used to follow every word they said, but now I don’t.
That’s because I’ve been on quite a journey with my health and I have experimented with many forms of eating with successes and failures before coming up with my own ideal way of eating.
And to this day, I cannot find anybody who agrees with my own principles.
Many gurus would disagree with at least some of my ways of eating, and each to his own. We are all attracted by different things and that’s perfectly OK. Otherwise the world would be a very boring place.
But I hesitate to recommend anybody because I know that many of the things I believe in, they don’t.
For example, I find many gurus who agree with my love of real food, but not my love of fruit.
I can find people who agree that smoothies are great for your health, but that meat should be avoided at all costs.
So I thought I’d share my diet principles with you, in the hope that it helps you to form your own set of beliefs.
And if you do know of anybody who shares my beliefs, please reply and let me know – I’d love to check them out.
I am the kind of person who loves lists. My husband says everything has to be a list in my world. Heck I even have a list of lists!
You may not agree with all this – and that’s fine, but this is my own preferences when it comes to healthy living and dieting. Here goes. Here’s Green Thickies 20 principles of healthy living. This is what I believe:
- Diets should include an abundance of fruit
- Leafy greens should be consumed daily – at least 1 cup, preferably more
- Green smoothies are an essential part of the diet for people who don’t eat a salad and several pieces of fruit every day
- Complete meal smoothies (Green Thickies) are the perfect balanced meal, especially for busy people
- Plant based diets are healthy….but
- Most people do need to consume animal products for optimal health
- Diets should be made up of real unprocessed food made from scratch
- Some people can tolerate grains, beans and pulses and other can’t
- Processed dairy should be avoided by everyone
- Most people should avoid all types of dairy but some can tolerate raw dairy
- To lose weight we need to eat real food AND eat the right quantities of food
- Healthy diets are a great way to keep on track with healthy eating and losing weight
- Calorie counting is a good practice to follow when starting to lose weight, but not forever
- Health matters more than weight loss…but
- Healthy weight loss can lead to improved health
- Detoxing should be a daily occurrence
- Meals should be healthy AND tasty
- There is no such thing as ‘diet’ food. Healthy food is good for the whole family
- Packaged, processed foods should be avoided most of the time
- There is no right way to eat – everybody is different
Is there anything from my list that you agree with? Anything you don’t agree with? I’d love to know!
A lot of my beliefs come from the hundreds of books, articles and research that I’ve read on these topics and some come from my own experimentations with food.
For a long time I was blown around by the wind by people convincing me I had to eat a certain way. I was so confused and didn’t know what to believe when it came to food. I was a raw foodie, then I was a vegan, then a real food fan, then I went to a Paleo diet.
Now I’m just me. (And obviously I consume my daily Green Thickies and follow The Leaf System Diet which is based on these principles)
After years of struggling I finally decided to just listen to my own body and what it was telling me. And sometimes my beliefs differed from what my body could tolerate.
For example I believe that beans can be a healthy food – but I personally can’t tolerate them.
I believe that certain types of fish can be healthy – but I have a fish phobia – I’m terrified of them. So I won’t go anywhere near them.
What can your body tolerate? Have you listened to your body when consuming healthy food? How do you feel afterwards? Is this the way you’d like to feel again?
Hope that helps you to get your own mind straight about what you believe.
And if you do agree with my principles (or at least most of them) then great! I encourage you to take that belief one step further and join the FREE 7 Day Lean Green Smoothie Challenge.
Have a healthy day
Katherine ‘all principled out’ Kyle
p.s. If you’re ready for another unusual take on something – tomorrow I’m going to be sharing my honest thoughts about diets. This one might surprise you.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020