2 years ago I had no income. My plan was to stay at home and look after my kids while my husband went out to work. we knew there would be sacrifices, that we wouldn’t be able to afford holidays, or organic food, or new clothes for the kids or a big house or a new car. But we were fine making do with what we had. After a while I started to want more. I wanted something to do with my mind. I loved looking after my kids but I needed something to keep my mind active. I started reading about making money online from home so I could continue to look after my kids, make some spare money and buy a few extra things that we needed.
I started reading books, and learning how to make a living from home, and within about a year of working part time in my spare time, I had become the main breadwinner. Now I’m so thankful that I can support my family, buy organic food, go on holiday and afford some of the luxuries in life that I had only dreamed of a couple of years ago.
I get asked all the time by my friends, family and readers how to get started making money online and I really want to help you so you can achieve all this too.
I’m not telling you my income to boast, but only so you can see the potential. I do not have the perfect life. Life has been very tough for us lately with my health taking a dive and suffering from post natal depression. I had lost my way spiritually, stopped seeing my friends and family and struggled daily with my kids. I am just grateful that during that time that money wasn’t something I had to worry about, praise God, and I’ve been able to afford to buy things that will help me get healthier faster. So now it’s time for me to give something back for the blessings I’ve received. I am hoping that this post will help you get started on the path to financial freedom.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
I also want to say thank you for reading my blog and supporting me over the last couple of years. None of this would be possible without you, so I really hope I can give something back to you with this post and that it helps you achieve your financial dreams.
There are actually plenty of ways to make money online. Some of them are difficult to make a good living from, so I’m only going to share 5 ways that have the potential to make you enough money to replace your current income and actually have unlimited earning potential.
I only use 2 of these 5 methods myself, so I’m only going to briefly touch on the first 3 methods and then describe the other 2 methods in more detail.
Then after I’ve explained the methods you can use to make money online, keep reading because I will share the 4 secrets of actually making your financial dreams come true. This is the critical step to success so please don’t skip over it. It really works.
5 Ways to Make Enough Money Online To Give Up Your Day Job
The 5 methods of making unlimited money online are:
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
- Sell Products
- Kindle Books
- Multi Level Marketing
If you are trained or have a skill that you could share or help someone else with, you can provide paid consultations over the Internet. You can either use Skype or Google Hangouts to chat via video or you could provide an email based consultation. A lot of health practitioners do this, but you could actually offer consultations for any subject that you happen to know enough about that someone else would be interested in paying for.
- You can charge whatever you like – the sky is the limit. The more value you provide or the better your reputation, the more you can charge.
- You can start earning money straight away.
- You get paid directly for the time you spend working.
- The income isn’t passive, meaning you have to work to earn a living. If you don’t work for a few days, you don’t earn anything.
- You have to have some way for people to find you, so you either have to refer in person, or take time to build up a reputation. This might mean working for a reduced rate or even free until you get more well known.
2. Sell Products
This means that you buy and sell physical products online. You could buy a batch of products at a wholesale price, then advertise the products at a higher price on websites such as ebay or Amazon and then parcel up and ship out the products yourself. I have done this in the past but didn’t have enough money to invest in products initially to make a real success of this. Plus I really dislike parcelling up packages and taking them to the post office. I did this on ebay for about half a year and got very bored very quickly.
- You can get started making money straight away
- Once you’ve bought your stock and listed them for sale, you’re in business
- It’s easily duplicatable and scaleable
- Once you start making more money you can get help with the more boring parts of this job
- You need enough money to invest in the initial product to start with
- This is quite time consuming until you’re able to afford help
- This work can be very boring
3. Kindle Books
This is something I’ve researched a lot but haven’t made any money in yet. I’m just about to release my first two books with a third one on it’s way on the kindle. I’m actually very excited about writing kindle books because I really love to write and this is a big motivation for me to write more. I have heard that it’s quite easy to make a bit of passive income with kindle books, but to make a full time living you really need to have a series of popular books. You can use each book to promote the next book in the series. This helps you to build up a following of interested readers who will keep buying your new books. As long as you can write the books fast enough that people remember who you are, you’re much more likely to succeed with kindle books.
- It’s interesting, if you love writing there is no better way to spend your day
- The income can be passive eventually. Amazon takes care of the marketing while you sit back and write books.
- No initial outlay of money.
- The income isn’t passive to start with. You have to work hard writing books that people actually want to read.
- It can take a long time before you see any decent money from this.
- You don’t have complete control over the process and what Amazon will and won’t promote.
Now this is where I’ve really made most of my money online so far, so I’m going to cover this in more detail as I have a lot more experience in this area. A lot of people are very confused about blogging. How on earth do you make money by writing a blog that people read for free? I’m going to break down my income streams for you so you can see exactly how I make my money through my blog.
Blogging Income Streams
- Banner Adverts: You can sign up with Google Adsense, media.net. Lijit, Content.Ad to name a few. These are all the ad networks that I currently use. You get paid when someone clicks on your advert. I didn’t have any adverts on my blog for 6 months and even after that I didn’t really make much money. So you have to have a certain amount of traffic to be able to make money with ads. This can be quite a reliable income stream if your traffic remains stable. It is also passive so you get paid on your old blog posts if people are still reading them.
- Affiliate Schemes: If you promote other’s products you can get a commission for doing that. The biggest affiliate scheme is Amazon. The commission can be quite low but you do get a commission on anything someone buys on Amazon for the next 24 hours even if they haven’t bought your item, so you can make a nice amount of money with Amazon. You can also sign up to promote other blogger’s books and courses and these usually pay a lot more – about 50% or higher normally. The downside is that usually bloggers are not as convincing as Amazon and there is only normally one product for sale. I make some money with affiliate schemes but not as much as I used to. This can be passive for old blog posts, but a lot of affiliate deals are time dependant which means a lot of constant work for not much return.
- Create Your Own Product: When I had been blogging for about a year and a half I wrote my first book. This is when my income really shot up and I was able to support my family. Writing an ebook or developing an online course can provide you with a really good consistent and often passive income. The downside is it takes a lot of hard work before you can finally release it. I had no idea of the amount of work that had to be completed to release a book for sale. It took me about a year to release my first book from start to finish. You can also offer an affiliate scheme so that others can make a commission from selling your book. This is my affiliate scheme. Others place a link to my book on their website, email or facebook and make a 50% commission.
Should You start a blog?
Blogging isn’t for everyone. If you love to write and don’t mind people reading your thoughts, then it’s definitely a great way to make money eventually.
- It takes very little money to start blogging.
- Anyone can write a blog. You don’t need any special training. I learned everything I needed to know online to make my blog a success.
- It has the potential to make a lot of money
- It can be very passive. I went away for a week recently and when I came back, my income was still the same.
- It can take a very long time to make any money from it at all, most people would say 1-2 years before they started earning money from their blogs.
- You have to work very hard at it for a long time before you see the reward. It can be passive eventually but at the start it can take a lot of work.
- There is a lot of learning required to start a blog. It takes a lot of knowledge to be able to make money online. You can find everything you need just by Googling it, but the amount of information out there can be very confusing to navigate through which is very time consuming.
- You have to have a thick skin. People can be very very nasty and hurtful online. You have to be able to get used to being able to delete and forget if you come across a hurtful comment. Otherwise you’ll lose your confidence to carry on blogging.
- You can forget about privacy. Everyone wants to know about you, and has an opinion on your writing, what you look like or what you’re wearing. You don’t have to share personal information but it helps your readers see that you’re a real person if you do.
- Not great for perfectionists! You have to do your work quickly and move on to the next task.
- There is so much work apart from just blogging. I spend more of my time posting to various social media, finding good images, taking good photos, responding to emails and comments, deciding what to write about, researching topics, writing newsletters, sorting out finances, and admin jobs than I do writing blog posts.
- It can be a lonely business. When you work from home on your own blog, you don’t usually manage or help colleagues or have anyone to chat to over your coffee break.
Having said all that, I absolutely LOVE my job as a blogger. It’s my ideal job. I get to decide my own hours, work from home, make as much money as I like by putting in more hours, I get to constantly learn new skills, I’m challenged, I get to connect with people from all over the world, I help people change their lives, get healthy, lose weight and increase in confidence. And I get paid for it! What could be better than that? I wouldn’t swap my job in a million years.
How to start a blog in 5 minutes
So you want to start your own blog? There is so much information out there that will help you when you begin a blog, but here are the basics to get you started quickly.
1) Decide what your blog is going to be about. It needs to help people, to create value to other’s lives. What are you passionate about? You need to decide if your blog is specific (green thickies) or general and about whatever you want to write about. I actually think it’s easier to get an audience more quickly if your blog is specific and highly targeted. The downside of this, is you might get bored or even change your mind about your website. So think carefully before deciding on the subject of your blog. I recommend that you do have some sort of niche. People need to identify with you in some way. They need a reason to visit your blog. If you just write about everything in your life, to start with it’s going to be hard to get many visitors.
2) Set up a hosting account at Bluehost: Bluehost will host your website and give you a free domain name. My domain name is GreenThickies.com. Think of a creative name for your website and head on over to Bluehost and see if it’s available. You can set up your website on WordPress very easily through bluehost. They also offer some great real time to support you through the process.
3) Find some good photos for your blog: Most popular blog posts usually have good images. So you either need to get good at taking photos with a good camera or you can pay a small amount to buy some professional stock photos that you can use for your blog images. You can buy your images here.
4) Write your first blog post. Log on to WordPress, click on Posts, Add New and you can start to write and publish your first blog post immediately. Upload your good quality photo to your post. Now your blog is live for the world to see!
A Step By Step Guide To Starting A Blog
Now of course, if you’re starting a blog you will want to know more about blogging. You have 3 choices, you can either:
- Google everything. This is what I started off doing. It is time consuming and confusing. So eventually I did the next step.
- Buy a Book: These blogging books are written specifically for beginners, and are written by expert bloggers who know exactly what they are talking about. Click here to see the blogging books I recommend you start with.
- Enroll in a more intensive course: Get more help and support as you begin your blogging journey. Sign up here.
5. Multi Level Marketing
Did you forget about the fifth way to make money? This is new to me and I have to be honest, I’m most excited about this than anything else I’ve ever done.
What is multi-level marketing?
Multi-level marketing is a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they personally generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit.
So basically the sky is the limit for the income you can achieve.
Now Multi-level-Marketing (MLM) has never interested me previously. Why? I simply wasn’t interested in the products. I saw my friends recommending Pampered Chef, Avon and Kleeneze but I just wasn’t interested in those products so I never gave it another thought.
I became very ill, I tried everything and nothing was working. I was depressed and beginning to lose hope that I’d ever feel well again. One of my friends had started using essential oils and was trying to persuade me to try them. I had bought essential oils before and never noticed any health benefits previously. But these oils were different. They were good quality therapeutic grade oils, and guess what? They worked! My health started to improve day by day. My health is still improving and my quality of life is now unrecognisable compared to how bad I was. You can read about my experience here.
So of course, what happens when something changes your life so dramatically? You want to share it with others. Young Living don’t pay to advertise. They pay us to advertise and we do. Why? Because their products are so good that you can’t help yourself. If I didn’t make any money from Young Living essential oils, I would still promote them, they are that good! How many times do you recommend a product from your local store? That store never compensates you but all Multi Level Marketing is, is sharing a product you love and being compensated for it.
- You get to change lives, you see people’s lives improve just by using the product you fell in love with
- You get to change lives by helping other people achieve financial freedom
- You get a residual income based on your team’s sign ups
- You get to work closely with people helping them grow
- You get to work as part of a team
- You share resources with your team meaning you don’t have to create your own resources
- You share a product that’s already been invented, tested, packaged and shipping is done automatically
- You can start making a good income almost immediately
- You get out of it directly what you put into it
- There is little to no financial outlay
- You get to talk about and share a product that you already love which comes naturally to most people
- You get to learn a lot of skills and get the help and support of a team and a leader to help you develop further
- You make some life long genuinely close friendships.
- If you don’t sign up under a good leader, you may not get the help and support that you could have recieved
- If you choose a fairly recent MLM company there may not be as much support and training available to you.
- I honestly am so excited about this that I really can’t think of any other cons!
How do you make money by sharing essential oils?
So you share the oils with others, and when they sign up, you get a substantial amount of income. Then you help the people you sign up to share with others (which they will want to because the oils are that good) and you also get a commission on that purchase, and you continue to get commissions in the same manner.
This is why I’m so excited about this opportunity, because not only do I get to help others to recover their health, but I get to help others make a very good income and very quickly.
Young Living actually offer one of the best compensation plans I’ve ever seen, are growing rapidly and have been in business for 20 years. They have a stable business with a reliable income stream that enables you to make money just by sharing the oils with your friends and family. Sounds good?
I’m actually currently looking for new members of my leadership team. So if you would love to work with me, click here to find out more.
The 4 Secrets To Making Enough Money Online To Be Able To Give Up Your Day Job
4 Steps to making your dreams a reality
This is the most important part of this post so please don’t skip it or think, yeah yeah I’ve heard this before. You need to hear this to succeed.
No matter which method of making money you decide to go with, you MUST do the following steps to succeed:
1) Why: Write down the reasons WHY you want to do this? Why do you want to make money, what will that money pay for? Who will you help? Don’t skip this. It’s very important. You need to have good reasons and write them down. If you don’t do this step, don’t dismiss this as something that won’t work for you.
2) What: Write down your exact goal for this month, 6 months time, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years and 10 years time. How much money do you want to make? What will your life look like then? Really dream the dream here. Make sure you write the date next to the amount of money you want to make. The sky is the limit.
3) How: Write down exactly how you will achieve your goals. What exactly are you doing to do to get this money? This is the part where you must think about how you are going to provide value to others. It can be as simple as providing information or recipes that will help people get healthier or achieve a particular skill. How will you make money from this? Write it all down.
4) Believe: You HAVE to believe that you can achieve whatever you want to achieve. This can be hard as we’re all programmed to accept our circumstances and have been raised to have a particular kind of life. YOU have the power to change this. You might not believe this at first. I was skeptical. But here is what I did. I wrote down my goals and my tasks to achieve those goals and read them out loud twice a day (I kept this next to my toothbrush and read it after brushing my teeth much to my husband’s amusement!) I did this for 6 months. After that I really and truly believed that I would never have to worry about money again. My husband said the change in me was unrecognisable. I was certain that I would make enough money to be able to achieve my dreams.
I got this advice from a book which I followed to the letter. You can buy this book here for just a couple of dollars. If you follow the advice in this book to the letter, you’ll also see big things happening to you. It’s not the method of making money that enables you to reach your goals, it’s your own mindset. I had heard this a thousand times before and dismissed it just like you are probably about to. But why not give it a try, what do you have to lose? It turned my whole life around. I really hope you can turn your life around too. Let me know how it goes!
Has this post inspired you to take action? What are your dreams? What are you going to do to make your dreams a reality?
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started