This homemade moisturizer for dry skin takes 5 minutes, only uses 3 ingredients, lasts for a long time out of the fridge and is hard to mess up!
Quick, easy and fool proof
I have been trying to get healthier for the last 3 years but it’s a slow process as everything takes so long to research, save up for and get into long lasting habits.
I am getting there slowly with a lot of things though, and making my own cosmetics has been next on my to do list for a long time.
I became chemically sensitive when I had my health problems 3 years ago and anything I put on my face literally burned it, so I went organic with my products and that seemed to be good enough at that time.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
However, at the start of my pregnancy, I would wash my hair with my normal organic shampoo and then spend the rest of the day scratching my back where my hair hung down.
This happened during my first pregnancy too but for some reason, I had no idea it was my shampoo.
So I decided I had to start making my own personal care products starting with shampoo, and more recently I have made this amazing moisturizer.
I have been searching for a good moisturizer recipe for such a long time but they all seemed to take too long, too complicated with measuring temperatures, water separating from oil, expensive ingredients list, fancy equipment needed and bad reviews.
So I finally found this recipe which I’ve changed to make it quicker and easier to suit my busy lifestyle. I know it’s a recipe I’m going to return to time and time again.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
* UPDATE: I’ve been making and using this moisturizer for well over a year and use it for EVERYTHING! I have pots of this in almost every room of my house now.
I’m going to be totally honest with you on this blog and tell you the pros and the cons as nothing is ever perfect, but I will try and bring you articles which will help your overall health, so overall I think this is an amazing recipe. Here are some great points about this moisturizer and not so great points so you can make your own mind up whether you should give it a try:
Homemade Moisturizer Benefits
- Only has 3 easy to find ingredients, that you may already have
- Seems to be foolproof, very easy to follow instructions
- Great for dry skin. This is a good moisturizer as it creates a barrier that keeps your existing hydration within your body and protects you from drying effects of hand washing. I can still feel it on my skin after I’ve washed my hands. I wash my hands so many times a day that this is very important to me, as my hands are the only part of my body that are dry due to the constant washing.
- Lasts for a long time out of the fridge: As this moisturizer contains no water you can store it out of the fridge and it will last for ages. This was important to me so I can keep a small pot in each bathroom and in the kitchen.
- It’s always soft and doesn’t have to be melted before use.
- Absorbs fairly quickly into the skin
- Great for nappy rash: My baby’s chronic nappy rash has completely cleared up after using this. I loved coconut oil but it never lasted long enough or created a barrier on the skin to protect it.
- Only need a tiny amount so this will last for ages.
- Recipe makes a small quantity so you don’t waste your ingredients. You don’t need a lot as it’s so concentrated.
- It’s a great base for adding your own favorite ingredients to if you want to experiment.
- Luxurious, thick and creamy and great for any part of the body. I have also used this as a lip balm.
- You can use this cream as a base to add your favorite essential oils. (Learn how to get my favourite therapeutic essential oils at wholesale prices here.)
Homemade Moisturizer Drawbacks
- When you first apply it, it can feel a bit greasy, and you need to rub it in but it usually absorbs within a minute unless you’ve used too much. You only need to use a tiny amount, but you soon get used to the amount to take.
- It’s so thick I don’t think you could use this with a hand pump which I used to use to save time. However, I have put mine in a jar with a flip top lid which is almost as fast to get access to. I would suggest putting this in a wide shallow container as you will need to dip your finger into it. It’s not runny so you can’t pour it out of a tall thin bottle. I recommend a jar like this.
- Depending on how strong your olive oil is, it might smell a bit of olive oil but you can disguise this by adding some essential oils to the moisturizer. My olive oil isn’t too strong smelling anyway and I love to add few drops of either orange or Joy essential oil which smells amazing. (Learn how to get my favorite therapeutic essential oils at wholesale prices here.)
You just need to use a tiny little dot of this for your hands or face as it is so rich. Rub it in for a minute and your skin will be able to lock in it’s moisture. Store this out of the fridge in a wide, shallow jar or container or a few very small tubs. It will make about a Cup’s worth.
Homemade Moisturizer for dry skin Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil (or Almond or other oil)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (If you don’t have any, you can order some on Amazon)
- 1/4 Cup Beeswax Pellets (You can buy some here on Amazon if you don’t have any)
- Optional 10 drops of Essential Oils. I love to use Orange or Joy essential oils. (Learn how to get my favorite therapeutic essential oils at wholesale prices here.)
- Combine the Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Beeswax into a heatproof jug or large jar.
- Put the jug/jar in a saucepan and fill the pan with water until it comes 3/4 of the way up the jug/jar.
- Put it on a low heat on the stove. Heat and stir it until it has melted (About 5 minutes)
- Now empty out the hot water from the pan and replace it with cold water to the same level. Put the jug/jar back into the pan. (This helps to cool the moisturizer down quickly – I was impatient and this worked very well for me)
- Add your essential oil to the jug/jar now if you are using.
- Now to finish this quickly, use an electric whisk to quickly whip the ingredients into a moisturizer. OR if you don’t have a whisk you can use a fork and give it a good stir. You may have to stir this every 5 minutes until the texture is thick and creamy.
I couldn’t actually believe how easy this was and how well it worked. It saves me a fortune, hardly takes any time at all and I know I’m not putting loads of toxic chemicals into my skin now. Perfect! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Have you ever made your own moisturizer?
I know you may not have time to digest all this right now, so I wanted to give you a handy print out of this blog post so you can stick it on your fridge to help you on your journey to optimal health.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use Discount Code to get 50% off: BLOG (Add discount code BLOG at the checkout)
Click here to get started