I have been wanting to cut my food shopping bill down for a while now so when I saw an opportunity to take part in the Live Below The Line project I jumped at the chance. This involved living below the poverty line for 5 days and making extremely frugal meals.
I made this smoothie on Day 1. You can read all about it complete with my costings for each meal. All my costings are in British Pounds, but whatever country you live in, this smoothie is very cheap and will also give you a complete healthy balanced breakfast.
If you are going to drink green smoothies regularly you may notice that the ingredients can end up costing a fair bit. You have to pay for all types of different exotic fruits, different types of dairy free milks, expensive nuts, flavourings and fresh greens which all add up. Once you’ve bought all these ingredients and made yourself a great healthy green smoothie, you may be dismayed to find that you are hungry again within an hour and have to think of another healthy filling breakfast to make to see you through until lunch time.
With this smoothie, not only is it extremely frugal, but it’s a very balanced healthy meal and it will actually fill you up and keep you going until your next meal as it contains oats.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
I have just used a few simple ingredients chosen for their nutrition and cost, bananas (usually the cheapest fruit, filling and naturally sweet), frozen spinach (usually cheaper than fresh), flaxseeds (one of the cheapest seeds), and basic rolled oats. I blended this smoothie with water. The oats make it creamy enough so you won’t miss the milk.
You can read all my Live Below The Line posts here: How I’m going to live below the poverty line for 5 days, What food I bought to Live Below The Poverty Line and Day 1 Living Below the Line: Finding out what true hunger really means, Day 2 Living Below the Line: Why eating unrefined food is essential on a budget, Day 3 Living Below the Line: Why eating vegan food is cheaper, Day 4 Living Below The Line: Why Variety is the Key to Health, Day 5 Living Below the Line: How to plan cheap healthy meals.Print
Cheap Smoothies 1: Healthy Ginger Cake (Frugal Full Meal Green Smoothie)
- Prep Time: 2 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 Minutes
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- 1 & 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
- 4 tablespoons Flaxseeds (Use Ground Flaxseeds if you don’t have a powerful blender) OR Cashew Nuts
- 5oz Frozen Spinach (140 grams (About 3 cubes) or about 1 cup of fresh spinach) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- 3 small Bananas (Frozen bananas will keep the smoothie cool. )
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 & 1/2 cups Water
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- If you are making a green smoothie blend the greens and liquid first and then blend the rest of the ingredients. This creates more space in your blender.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
This smoothie serves 2 but if you have an active job, do work outs or have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink both servings.
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie. Or read this guide on How to make a smoothie perfect every time.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
The RECIPE for DATE PASTE can be found here.
Suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk), salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
* If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet,) please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started