Homemade Orange Refresher
A Healthy Version
Not only will this homemade orange refresher give you that sweet vanilla orange taste but it will save you calories, give you health benefits and it cuts out all the refined sugar.
Homemade Orange Refresher
This recipe is based on Orange juice and you are very welcome to use a carton of shop bought orange juice, but bear in mind there will be very little nutrition left in the orange juice. And orange juice in cartons has usually been stored for a very long time. You may find this post interesting to read on the Secret Ingredient not in your orange juice carton. If you use a carton of orange juice, this drink will be extremely quick to make. However, as I am all about promoting good health, I obviously recommend that you make your own orange juice.
You might be there for a fairly long time using your manual citrus Squeezer for this amount of orange juice, so I’d recommend you get hold of a cheap electric citrus juicer. It will only take a couple of minute to make enough orange juice for this recipe and they are very quick to clean afterwards and don’t take up too much room in your kitchen.
There is actually another option if you don’t have a citrus juicer. You can just blend your oranges straight in the blender. I tried this option first and did use my Vitamix, so I can’t guarantee how smooth your drink will be if you don’t use a high powered blender. If you are using a standard blender, try chopping your oranges small and blending them first before adding the other ingredients. I still enjoyed the taste of this version but it actually took me longer to peel my oranges and remove all the pith than it did to juice the same number of oranges.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
You can sweeten this drink with any healthy sweetener you like. I added date syrup as it’s quite neutral tasting. You can easily make your own date syrup too. I also tried this recipe with maple syrup but didn’t like the taste. I thought it overpowered the oranges. If you’re not vegan, you might want to try honey.
Homemade Orange Refresher
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED FOR HEALTH BENEFITS:
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- 1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- 2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- 3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
- Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
- Salt free (don't add salt)
- Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn't include coconuts)
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020