Raw Buckwheat and Banana Smoothie
It’s time to explore adding another grain to our smoothies today. This raw buckwheat and banana smoothie will appeal to most people and has the benefit of being completely raw. Raw food retains more of it’s nutrients so it’s much better for us all to eat a higher proportion of raw foods in our diets.
What is Buckwheat?
A lot of people think Buckwheat is a grain as it looks like a grain, is filling and used just like a grain. But in actual fact buckwheat is a seed. Despite it’s name it doesn’t actually contain any wheat and is gluten free so it’s also perfect for people on a grain free or a gluten free diet.
Buckwheat is one of the best sources of complete protein as it contains all 8 of the essential amino acids. Buckwheat is so good for healing the colon as well as for people with varicose veins or hemorrhoids as it contains Rutin which is a capillary wall strengthener. Buckwheat is also very good for the brain and is very high in iron. Could this pseudo-grain get any better?
How to add Buckwheat to your smoothie
I have already explained how to add Oats and Quinoa to your smoothie and Buckwheat is just as easy. All you need to do is soak your buckwheat overnight for about 8 hours and rinse it very well in the morning, then add it to your smoothie.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
If you can’t get hold of Raw Buckwheat you can find it on Amazon.com. It also gives instructions on how to cook it if you’d prefer to cook it and then add it to your smoothies.
I have finally got the taste for greens back after completely going off them at the start of my pregnancy. I am now back to drinking my green thickies although I’m finding I need more to fill myself up than I did before I was pregnant. I know I’m not supposed to literally be eating for 2 but I believe in eating whole foods until you are full up so I’m going to continue with that philosophy during my pregnancy. Even if I gain load of weight like I did last time I don’t mind as I know I’ll easily lose it again. Although my diet has been so much better so far so hopefully I won’t gain as much this time. I am also loving my salads again so have a massive amount of greens back in my diet again which should soon make up for the months when I couldn’t eat any.
I’m currently testing recipes for my first ebook. I had started it just as I got pregnant but had to put it on hold as I couldn’t stomach any of the food I was planning to make. But I’m loving the meals I’ve planned so far so I’m hoping you will too.
Raw Buckwheat and Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup Buckwheat Soaked for 8 hours and rinsed
Green Thickie (Optional):
- 1 cup Spinach Or other mild greens OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- If you are making a green smoothie blend the greens and liquid first and then blend the rest of the ingredients. This creates more space in your blender.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- ubstitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- This smoothie serves 2 but if you have an active job, do work outs or have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink both servings.
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie. Or read this guide on How to make a smoothie perfect every time.
- Find out more about adding OATS or QUINOA to your smoothies.
- The RECIPE for DATE PASTE can be found here.
- Suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk), salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
- * If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet,) please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020