I’ve been looking forward to sharing this recipe for a while as it means green thickies can now reach more people. If you are somebody that can’t tolerate eating oats, there is now an alternative option for you. The long awaited quinoa smoothie has arrived.
I’ve been getting requests for a while now from people who can’t tolerate oats in their diet but still want a filling green smoothie to see them through the morning. I’ve found the perfect oat substitute for you, quinoa!
What is quinoa
If you don’t know what quinoa is, it is very similar to rice. People use it like a grain as the staple carb of their meal, but it’s actually a seed not a grain. A great thing about quinoa is it’s quick to cook in around 10 – 15 minutes, has the highest levels of protein of most grains and the best thing about quinoa is that provides all 9 essential amino acids.
Quinoa is gluten free so it’s perfect for you if you are following a gluten free diet, and even if you’re not it’s still an extremely healthy option. Quinoa is gradually becoming more and more popular so if you can’t find this in your normal store, you should be able to find it in a health food shop or order quinoa online. It’s really worth giving it a go as it’s so versatile in all your cooking.
How to make a quinoa smoothie
There is some debate about whether oats are gluten free. There can be cross contamination from wheat in packets of oats, so it’s better to buy gluten free oats if you’re sensitive to gluten. Even so some people still can’t tolerate oats and if you suffer from celiac disease you will probably already know whether you can or can’t tolerate oats.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
So as almost all of my smoothies contain oats, I think it’s high time I started looking at alternative carbs that will be just as filling. I’ve got some more great oat substitutes to share with you in the future but today we’re focusing on quinoa smoothies.
Quinoa actually works amazingly well in smoothies. It blends up really easily as it’s nice and soft, and it’s so neutral I can’t taste it at all. I also felt even lighter after drinking a quinoa smoothie so I’d really urge you to give it a try and see how you feel. It’s very easy to digest so perfect if you have digestive problems. A cup of cooked quinoa actually has much less calories than oats too so it’s also an ideal food if you are trying to lose weight. However if one cup of cooked quinoa isn’t filling enough for you, try adding one and a half cups. According to cronometer.com a cup of cooked quinoa has 222 calories and rolled oats have 307 calories. Quinoa expands when it cooks so one cup of uncooked quinoa will make a greater quantity of cooked quinoa.
How to prepare quinoa
To prepare you quinoa for your smoothie, you either have to cook it or soak it. Whatever you do, make sure you rinse it first to remove the bitter saponin. To cook it, you can usually bring about 1 cup of quinoa along with 2 cups of water to the boil, then simmer it for 10-15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. You will have to watch it carefully at the final stages to ensure it doesn’t stick when all the water is absorbed.
To soak quinoa, you could soak 1 cup of quinoa with 1 cup of water overnight. The quinoa will still be pretty crunchy at this stage and it would be worth rinsing it again before adding it to your smoothie.
Quinoa can be eaten raw if it’s soaked first. Some people like to sprout their quinoa but it might depend on the type of quinoa you’ve got, whether this is actually possible. Some think it’s harder to digest than cooked quinoa but it retains more of it’s nutrients this way.
Honeydew and Peach Quinoa smoothie
I’ve given you a great recipe for a quinoa smoothie below made from honeydew melon and peaches, but you can take a cup of cooked quinoa and use it to replace the oats in any of the green thickie recipes on this website. Quinoa will work in any smoothie recipe and will fill you up turning your green smoothie into an entire filling meal. 1 serving of the recipe is actually lower in calories than my usual green thickies so it’s a good option if you’re trying to lose weight.
So if you are on a gluten free diet or simply want a healthy alternative to oats in your filling green smoothies try adding some quinoa to it. It’s also good to eat a varied healthy diet so adding some quinoa occasionally will be great for all of us. Have you ever tried quinoa? Have you ever had it raw, soaked or sprouted?
How to make a quinoa smoothie: Honeydew and peach quinoa smoothie recipe
- 1 Cup Water if you are drinking this straight away substitute one cup of water for ice
- 3 Cups Honeydew melon about half a small melon (or any other white melon)
- 4 small Peaches
- 1 Banana
- 1 Cup Spinach tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed (or any other mild greens)
- 1 Cup Quinoa cooked. Like this
- Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- 1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- 2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- 3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- More tips:
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- - Add more water if required to thin it out.
- - Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- - If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- - Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- - This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
- Suitable for Special Diets:
- - Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- - Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- - Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
- - Salt free (don't add salt)
- - Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn't include coconuts)
- More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie:
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020