10 new ways to add fruit to every single meal
Ways to enjoy eating fruits for health
Fruit can be very boring compared to other foods on offer. At times I can honestly say even eating fruits for health is the last thing I want to do. Even when it’s summer here in Scotland a lot of the time it’s cold and wet, and eating unripe, old fruit that’s been sitting in a supermarket for weeks isn’t really that appealing. So how do I get through so much of it? I’ve got some great tips to share with you on eating fruit when you are really struggling to eat much of it.
I used to hate fruit and sometimes I still don’t enjoy eating it on it’s own. I think it’s mainly down to the cold weather where I live and the fact that most of the fruit is picked unripe. So after it’s been sitting on the shelves of the store for a few weeks, it’s tasteless, hard, bland and very boring. Not so good when you’re trying to be healthy and you know the best way to be healthier is to eat your fruit and greens.
Fruits for health
We all know that raw fruit is one of the healthiest things you can eat. Some say it’s actually our most perfect food because it’s sweet, easy to eat, comes in it’s very own wrapper so we can take it with us and it can be eaten exactly as it is without cooking or any other processing. It’s got all the nutrients we need for health in perfectly balanced proportions. You would have thought we’d be really enjoying nature’s perfect food but our taste buds have been so warped by adding so much sugar to everything that we forget how good raw naturally fruit is supposed to taste. So we could all use a little help in getting more fruit into our bodies.
So I’m going to share some tips with you to make eating fruit much easier if you struggle with it as much as I do. Here are my top tips to get more fruit into your diet:
- Add chopped fruit to your salad. You’d be surprised how much a salad comes to life when you add fruit to it. It really does create the perfectly balanced meal for your tastebuds. There’s not too much fruit and not too much savoury. Try it with all different kinds of fruit. I’ve yet to find a fruit that doesn’t go with a salad. This recipe for a Watermelon, Avocado Fennel smoothie is a great example. Simply chop up the ingredients and mix it in a bowl instead of blending it for a smoothie. This salad is my favourite salad every and everyone I make it for completely agrees. If you want a fresh taste of summer, this recipe can’t be beaten. It also explains how to make a watermelon smoothie out of the same ingredients.
- Mix chopped fruit into your warm main dish. If you are having a hot meal in the evening, sprinkle some chopped fruit all over the top of the dish. It sounds disgusting but this actually really works too, especially if you serve it with a green salad. If you can’t bear to mix your fruit with your savoury meal, serve it on the side with a salad.
- Make an interesting fruit salad. My baby and I were getting so bored of eating plain fruit so I made a different fruit salad every day and added various different toppings and dressings to it which completely change the taste of it. If you’ve ever sprinkled lemon juice on a plain banana you’ll understand how different it tastes. Try these toppings: lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice and zest, toasted nuts and seeds, shredded coconut, coconut milk, dried fruit, ground vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, mint, basil, parsley, cilantro/coriander, and healthy sweeteners.
- Of course, make a Green Thickie. The oats in the thickie make me feel like I’m having a warming bowl of porridge in the winter. I find green smoothies hard to drink when I’m cold, but a green thickie is totally different. It’s thick, filling, substantial and very easy to drink regardless of the weather.
- Add fruit to your savoury sauce, such as cherries or strawberries. or make a Fruit pizza!
- Make healthy desserts out of fruit such as raw chocolate pudding or any raw desserts.
- Make fruit puddings. Just blend your fruit without the water. You might need a more powerful blender for this depending on the fruit you use.
- Make salsa from fruit and salad veg. These are great with any meal.
- Add fruit to your sandwich. I used to adore grapes in any sandwich.
- Make a dip to serve with your fruit. Cut your fruit into crudities to serve with the dip.
So there you go, 10 different ways to get as much fruit as you possibly can into your diet. So there’s no excuse not to eat more fruit now. My motto is if you keep eating at least some raw fruit or vegetables with each meal you eat, soon you’ll be craving more of the raw food and less cooked food which is much healthier. That’s what happened to me and I didn’t think I’d ever prefer fruit and vegetables over a stodgy creamy vegan meal but that’s what my palate is deciding for me now as I’ve been making an effort to just eat greens and fruits for health and now I am actually getting a taste for it and really craving it. I really hope the same happens for you.
How do you make sure you get more fruit into your diet? Do you enjoy eating fruit? Please say hello below.
This post has been shared with these Fabulous blog hops.Green Thickies also co-hosts a blog hop, Healthy Vegan Fridays so join us on Friday to find fabulous health related articles and healthy recipes.. The best type of blender to make Green Thickies is a Vitamix and you will get beautifully smooth Green Thickies, but you can use whatever type of blender you have or can afford. This blender is reasonably priced and will easily make green thickies along with lots of other delicious food.
Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
If you have enjoyed this post please pin it to Pinterest, Tweet it or share it on facebook (below) so others can enjoy it. Many thanks.