Basic Green Thickie Recipe
Create your own recipes from this base
This post should really have been my very first recipe! However here we are, 76 recipes down the line and I’m being asked all the time, ‘where is your basic green thickie recipe?’. I usually just tell people to make whichever recipe they like, but I do think there is a need to have a very basic recipe that you can tweak to suit your own needs, so here it is, the basic green thickie recipe.
A green thickie is a complete meal, not just your ordinary green smoothie. This is because it contains filling carbs so you get your breakfast or lunch all in one glass and don’t have to make numerous meals. We are busy people and I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time to make myself multiple breakfasts. This drink gives you everything you need, your drink, your carbs, nutrients, protein, iron etc. It’s all there.
A green thickie is not intended to be a very low calorie drink as it is a complete meal. However you can definitely lose weight by incorporating them into your diet. I think it’s important to get a good number of calories at the start of the day as that’s when we most need most energy and help staving off hunger pangs and cravings for unhealthy foods.
This basic green thickie recipe contains 419 calories. I think this is a good amount of calories for most people to eat for breakfast, but the great thing about them is that you can reduce some of the ingredients to save calories or add in extra ingredients to fill yourself even more. We all have different calories needs so we all need different amounts of food. This recipe is for 2 servings. Each serving is about 1 pint (500ml or just over 2 cups) So you can either drink one for breakfast and one for lunch, save one for tomorrow, share it with someone or if you are extra hungry or need extra calories, drink them both (I often do this).
You can also tweak the ingredients to suit your own taste, budget, food availability and nutrients required. You can pretty much put anything in a green thickie and be able to enhance the flavours or hide them. For example, the taste of spinach is hidden as it’s dominated by sweet fruit, but you could add in some more powerful flavours such as mint to make that the most dominant taste.
Play around with this recipe, add things in and see what works, and let me know if you’ve got a fantastic recipe to share.
Basic Green Thickie Recipe
There are 6 basic ingredients in a green thickie:
- Liquids (water, milk or juice)
- Greens (Spinach, Chard, Collard Greens, Lettuce, Kale or other mild greens) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- Fruit (Add any fruit you like, you don’t have to worry about adding creamy fruit as the oats provide the creaminess)
- Carbs (Oats, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Sweet Potato)
- Seeds or nuts (Any plain seeds or nuts can be added)
- Sweetener (If it needs it add in some healthy sweetener. I prefer to use whole foods so mostly use dates/ date paste)
-2 cups Water (or use dairy free milk (Like this) or freshly squeezed fruit/veg juice)
– 2 cups Spinach (or use Chard, Collard Greens, Lettuce, Kale or other mild greens) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
– 1 cup Oats (or use quinoa, buckwheat or sweet potato)
– 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds (or any other plain seeds or nuts (unsalted and un-roasted))
– 1/4 cup Dates (or date paste, other dried fruit or healthy sweetener to taste)
– 2 medium Bananas (or 2 small mangos (or 2-4 cups of any other fruit e.g. berries))
Blend the ingredients in the following order: 1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time 2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using) 3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
More tips: Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
Add more water if required to thin it out. Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have. If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
*How much should I drink to replace a meal?* – Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa. – This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should *DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE*. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
*Suitable for Special Diets:* – *Gluten free* (Use GF Oats or Quinoa) – *Raw* (Use raw oats/quinoa) – *Vegetarian*, *vegan*, *dairy free*, *egg free*, *refined sugar free*, *wheat free*, *soya free* (don’t use soya milk or tofu), – *Salt free* (don’t add salt) – *Nut free* (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
*More information about making the perfect Green Thickie*
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
Did you enjoy this post? Like my Facebook Page for fun, freebies and interesting facts, and subscribe to my FREE 12 week e-course to get started with Green Smoothies, lose weight and transform your health.
Due to the popularity of essential oils with my readers, I now have an essential oils Facebook Group. If you want to know more about essential oils, please join us by clicking here
Do you have weight to lose? Are you struggling with your health? My new 7 Day Diet Plan for Weight Loss and Improved Health will give you the boost you are looking for. Click here to read more
Latest posts by Katherine Natalia @ Green Thickies (see all)
- Join me for a weight loss tea challenge - December 23, 2014
- DAY 8 – 30 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GIFTS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS: Scented Play Dough - December 11, 2014
- DAY 7 – 30 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GIFTS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS: Lemon and Honey Lotion Bars - December 10, 2014