Use this basic Green Thickie Recipe as your starting point to create your own fabulous smoothies. These are the green smoothies you can make a meal of!
This post should really have been my very first recipe! However here we are, 76 recipes down the line and I’m being asked all the time, ‘where is your basic green thickie recipe?’.
I usually just tell people to make whichever recipe they like, but I do think there is a need to have a very basic recipe that you can tweak to suit your own needs, so here it is the basic green thickie recipe.
A green thickie is a complete meal, not just your ordinary green smoothie.
This is because it contains filling carbs so you get your breakfast or lunch all in one glass and don’t have to make numerous meals.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
We are busy people and I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time to make myself multiple breakfasts. This drink gives you everything you need, your drink, your carbs, nutrients, protein, iron, etc. It’s all there.
A green thickie is not intended to be a very low-calorie drink as it is a complete meal. However, you can definitely lose weight by incorporating them into your diet. I think it’s important to get a good number of calories at the start of the day as that’s when we most need the most energy and help to stave off hunger pangs and cravings for unhealthy foods.
This basic green thickie recipe contains 419 calories.
I think this is a good amount of calories for most people to eat for breakfast, but the great thing about them is that you can reduce some of the ingredients to save calories or add in extra ingredients to fill yourself even more. We all have different calorie needs so we all need different amounts of food.
This recipe is for 2 servings.
Each serving is about 1 pint (500ml or just over 2 cups). So you can either drink one for breakfast and one for lunch, save one for tomorrow, share it with someone or if you are extra hungry or need extra calories, drink them both (I often do this).
You can also tweak the ingredients to suit your own taste, budget, food availability and nutrients required.
You can pretty much put anything in a green thickie and be able to enhance the flavors or hide them. For example, the taste of spinach is hidden as it’s dominated by sweet fruit, but you could add in some more powerful flavors such as mint to make that the most dominant taste.
Play around with this recipe, add things in and see what works, and let me know if you’ve got a fantastic recipe to share.
Basic Green Thickie Recipe
There are 6 basic ingredients in a green thickie:
- Liquids (water, milk or juice)
- Greens (Spinach, Chard, Collard Greens, Lettuce, Kale or other mild greens) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Grass Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- Fruit (Add any fruit you like, you don’t have to worry about adding creamy fruit as the oats provide the creaminess)
- Carbs (Oats, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Sweet Potato)
- Seeds or nuts (Any plain seeds or nuts can be added)
- Sweetener (If it needs, add in some healthy sweetener. I prefer to use whole foods so mostly use dates/ date paste)
Basic Green Thickie Recipe: How to make your first Green Thickie
- - 2 cups Water or use dairy free milk (Like this or freshly squeezed fruit/veg juice)
- - 2 cups Spinach or use Chard, Collard Greens, Lettuce, Kale or other mild greens
- - 1 cup Oats or use quinoa, buckwheat or sweet potato (Like this)
- - 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds or any other plain seeds or nuts (unsalted and un-roasted) (Like this)
- - 1/4 cup Dates or date paste, other dried fruit or healthy sweetener to taste (Like this)
- - 2 medium Bananas or 2 small mangos (or 2-4 cups of any other fruit e.g. berries)
- Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- 1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- 2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- 3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- More tips:
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- - Add more water if required to thin it out.
- - Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- - If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- - Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- - This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
- Suitable for Special Diets:
- - Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- - Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- - Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
- - Salt free (don't add salt)
- - Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn't include coconuts)
- More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
Need A Quick Diet Plan For FAST Weight Loss?
My 7 Day Green smoothie Detox contains a complete meal plan showing you exactly what to eat every day you are on the detox.
The 7 Day Green Thickies Detox has helped THOUSANDS of women drop a significant amount of weight in just one week. A lot of ladies manage to drop a whole dress size in one week by following this easy plan.
Best of all, you’ll barely spend any time in the kitchen, and you can even eat on the go if you need to. This detox only contains natural ingredients you can buy locally. These meals are very simple and quick to make, and they still taste delicious.
I know you may not have time to digest all this right now, so I wanted to give you a handy print out of this blog post so you can stick it on your fridge to help you on your journey to optimal health.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020