Did you know that superfoods are one of the best ways to supercharge your energy?
Mix in a super food or food that is extremely nutrient dense into your smoothie every morning and you will see amazing benefits to your health.
Why are superfoods so great? Per calorie these foods contain more micronutrients than other foods.
This means you can eat less of them and get way more nutrition into your diet.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
They also have disease fighting properties so if you aren’t sure what to mix into your smoothie every morning try some of these amazing superfoods.
What is the ORAC scale and why does it matter?
All foods have an ORAC value (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity), a measurement for level of antioxidants developed by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
You can use this database to browse foods alphabetically to find their ORAC values, or if you want to get straight to the best antioxidants and anti-aging “superfoods”, you can view them sorted by their ORAC values – higher values generally imply stronger antioxidant capabilities.
The ORAC scale- “Foods higher on the ORAC scale effectively help to neutralise free radicals, slowing the damage caused by the oxidative process that can contribute to age-related degeneration and disease.”-Sans
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
- These amazing berries have an ancient tradition in chinese medicine and are also called Wolfberries.
- They are packed with vitamins and minerals and are a very high source of protein.
- They contain around 36,000 orac units which is very high.
- Goji berries also contain sesquiterpinoids which boost the production of human growth hormone, producing and anti-aging effect.
- This amazing fruit can also improve your immune system and help people with autoimmune disorders.
- Goji berries are a great addition to any smoothie.
- My favorite source is Young Living Ninxia Red. I drink it every morning and I really notice the difference when I don’t have it as it’s the only time I get colds these days.
- Are a superfood that come from the hemp plant.
- They contain an optimal 3-to-1 balance of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids
- They also contain very healthy fatty acids called gamma-linoleic acid and stearidonic acid which are considered good for your skin, metabolism, cholesterol levels, and inflammation.
- Hemp is great for vegetarians as a source for protein and these important fats.
- You can mix the seeds right into your smoothie!
If you are adding hemp seeds to your smoothie, you will want to use hulled hemp seeds or you will end up with lots of hard shells that won’t blend.
- These tiny seeds have a lot to offer.
- They are packed with protein and Omega 3 fatty acids.
- They also have tons of fiber so they help keep you full and are a great addition in weight management.
- In addition to helping balance blood sugar levels, reduce high blood pressure and inflammation they can improve your digestion, and give you energy.
- Put 2 Tbsp in your smoothie and it will help keep you full all morning!
- This amazing healing nectar comes from New Zealand and contains anti-bacterial and anti-viral compounds.
- It’s highly antioxidant and is used in hospitals throughout the world to help heal resistant strains of infection such as MRSA.
- Adding a teaspoon to your smoothie will increase your energy levels and ward off illness!
- This dark red berry has an earthy flavor and is one of the highest foods on the ORAC scale at 102,000 units.
- It’s delicious paired with Cacao and a little honey mixed into a smoothie.
- Acai is good for your cardiovascular system and helps fight cancer cells.
- Acai is 102700 on the ORAC scale which is very high.
- Spirulina, Chlorella and wheatgrass and spinach are all greens that are high in B vitamins and minerals such as magnesium.
- These powders mix well in any smoothie.
- You can buy a mix such as this one that have multiple greens mixed together to save money.
- These greens are loaded with chlorophyll which helps your cells to produce energy or ATP.
- They are highly detoxing and are great to cleanse your liver and digestive system and help remove heavy metals.
Amla fruit or Indian Gooseberry
- This tart little gem has so many health benefits it has become the super star of superfoods.
- Amla has the highest value on the ORAC scale of any food.
- Only spices are higher.
- Amla powder can be mixed in your smoothie or you can buy frozen Amla but make sure they are pitted before mixing them in your blender.
- Amla is very high in fiber, antioxidants and vitamins, especially vitamin C.
- At 95,000 on the ORAC scale cacao is higher than green tea and many fruits.
- Cocao will give your smoothie a rich decadent flavor but without the guilt of regular chocolate.
- Cacao has anticancer benefits and is great for your heart and cardiovascular system!
- This unusual fruit is higher in Vitamin C than any other fruit.
- It’s benefits include; reduce inflammation and battle oxidative stress in the body.
- It also improves the immune system, eases arthritis pain, and fights depression.
- You can buy the powder and add to your smoothie.
- The mesquite tree is found throughout the Southwest United States and South America.
- The seed pods are picked and then the seeds ground down into flour.
- The flour was a staple food for many indigenous people and is highly nutritious.
- The main benefit is its ability to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- It has soluble fiber and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Mesquite has a slightly sweet flavor and can be used to sweeten your smoothie without the bad effects of sugar.
- It can be used in baking too!
Get your mesquite powder here.
Superfoods should be consumed everyday for optimal health.
Adding a superfood to your smoothie is the easiest way to ensure that you are getting enough of these antioxidants in your diet.
Its also a great way to make sure your smoothies never become boring as these foods taste great!
I know you may not have time to digest all this right now, so I wanted to give you a handy print out of this blog post so you can stick it on your fridge to help you on your journey to optimal health.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020