This review of the 12 Best Smoothie cups for travel will help you find the perfect container for storing your smoothie, and for taking it out of the house.
I have been getting a lot of people asking me what are the best reusable smoothie containers for taking your smoothies out of the house to work or school or travelling with them.
I own a massive collection of smoothie cups myself because my whole family drinks so many of them.
So I’m going to provide an honest review of these smoothie-to-go cups and will share the pros and cons so you can make up your own mind.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
I will also highlight some other popular travel smoothie cups including smoothie cups with lids and straws that you may like.
This is my number one favorite smoothie bottle that I keep going back to time after time. It’s also very reasonably priced, and you can get it in most Amazon stores across the world. I have about 6 of these in my home and I use these bottles more than any other bottle I’ve owned so far. Here’s what I love about it…
- It has a large capacity which is important to me. When you cram in loads of spinach into your smoothies, it makes the volume much larger – hence the need for a bigger smoothie bottle. The capacity is 700ml / 23.67oz / 2.96cups. Enough for a nice filling 500 calorie complete meal smoothie.
- It doesn’t leak. This is my primary concern about smoothie bottles – they have to be leak proof, because who wants to be covered in thick green slime?
- It can be easily cleaned by hand or in the dishwasher.
- It is very easy to drink from – just flip open the lid and drink.
- It doesn’t have a built in straw or any areas of the bottle that can’t be reached. Straws are a mold hazard waiting to happen. I like to be able to see and clean all areas of my smoothie bottles.
- It is long lasting and robust. I have had mine for years and they are still going strong. I now have 4 of these, 2 for me and 2 for my husband. You can get them in a range of colors like pink, blue and green.
- It is see through which means I can see whether or not it is clean – yes cleaning is important to me in case you haven’t guess by now :)
- It has a built in shaker on the lid. I never usually use the shaker balls in most smoothie bottles because I lose them and forget to put them back in – and they are fiddly to clean. But not this lid. It is easy to clean. You can shake up your blended smoothie in a few seconds with this built in shaker lid.
- The bottle is slim enough to fit in the water bottle holders in my backpack which is where I put it when I am out and about. Yes I take my green thickies everywhere I go, because I always need energy and vitality out of the house.
- Dirt can collect in the lid in the dishwasher, so sometimes they need an extra rise under the tap. Tip: put the lid facing down so you can see the top of the lid for the best clean.
- If my smoothie is ultra thick (i.e. like ice cream) I have to remove the lid to drink the thick shake – but that’s no problem to drink from this bottle with the lid off
- You have to be careful to line up the lid properly when screwing it on. But once you are aware of this, it’s no trouble to screw the leak proof lid on quickly.
You can read more about what others think of these Sistema Smoothie Bottles and buy one here.
This pack of 6 Clear Glass Water Bottles are perfect for storing healthy beverages. Boasting a slender design and a wide mouth neck, get ready for easy pouring, drinking and clean up, plus the lids are leak proof. Specifically made for storing beverages and toting them around in your car, backpack or to the gym. Healthy living has never been easier!
I love that my thick smoothies (Green Thickies) never struggle to pour out of this wide mouthed smoothie bottle. I can easily pour in my smoothies straight from my blender, and the glass makes them super healthy and easy to clean.
This is a nice large container so perfect for a filling meal replacement smoothie.
- An extra wide neck for no-spill drinking
- Airtight caps seal in freshness & won’t leak
- Easy to add ice or pour in a smoothie without spills
- Safe for the environment & health-friendly bottles
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Made from thick glass to withstand life on the go & freezing
- Great for smoothies, protein shakes, nut milks, sauces, lemonade & water
- Slender easy fit for refrigerators, car cup holders & gym equipment
- No chemicals, toxins or BPA’s to contaminate your beverages
- A wide neck = easy cleanup. No bottle brush needed. Pour your juices, smoothies & nut milks without spills right into the jar. You’ll never need a funnel.
Need to make Green Thickies on the go? Read more about the Clear Glass Water Bottles and buy one here.
Bubba kegs come in a range of sizes to completely suit your needs. Bubbas have dual wall insulation that keep hot food hot for up to 3 hours and cold food cold for up to 12 hours. There is also a bottle opener in the handle.
I love the large sized bubba mug that I can get my entire blender’s worth of smoothie inside if I want to take a large amount with me. The mug handle makes it very easy to drink despite the size. The drinking hole is just large enough for a thick smoothie to go through. The clasp attaches to the other side of the mug when it’s open so it doesn’t spring back in your face. It’s lovely to be able to take my smoothie with me on a hot day and leave it out in the sun knowing it’s going to stay cool.
The bubba mug is very thick so it adds a lot of bulk to the mug making it feel quite cumbersome and not so comfortable to handle. The major drawback of bubba mug is that it leaks if it’s laying on it’s side. There is an air hole that always remains open to let steam escape so it can never be fully leak proof. This is a major stumbling block for me as my massive bubba mug won’t fit in my fridge unless it’s lying on it’s side so I don’t end up using it. The bubba mug isn’t dishwasher safe.
Looking to buy a Bubba? Check out more reviews and get your hands on one here.
If you want to stand out with your smoothie, this bottle certainly makes a statement. Sometimes you can end up with very similar smoothie cups to everyone else. This cup will ensure you stay unique.
I love using this smoothie bottle for my smoothies as it’s so easy to drink my green thickies from due to the rapid flow designed for easy drinking. It’s very easy to hold and best of all the top is very easy to close and open by just pulling it, but yet it feels extremely secure and I’ve never had any leaks with it. The small size is small enough to fit easily in your pocket and easy to hold and carry around. The larger size is great for those complete meal smoothie which I drink 99% of the time.
I know this is the most common design for a shaker smoothie bottle, but for me personally, I just don’t like the style of the lid. I know this bottle hasn’t leaked on me yet, but I just don’t trust the design not to leak in the future. So for that reason I don’t find myself using this as often as I could. I do like the smaller sizes for my kids and they love these designs.
Have to have a Be Strong BeYoutiful smoothie shaker bottle? Read what others think about it and buy one here.
If you want to avoid plastics, you may want to consider keeping your smoothies in a mason jar. Mason jars have become extremely popular as smoothie storage solutions as they are completely air tight and BPA free.
I always feel better about storing my food in glass jars rather than plastic, especially when I keep my smoothies overnight in the fridge. These are perfect to allow you to make your smoothie in the evening, and grab your smoothie and go when you’re in a rush the following morning.
Kids absolutely love these cute designs and they even have farm animal design options too.
I use these for the kids and for my smoothie videos, but I don’t actually drink from them myself too often as they are just too small for my massive smoothie servings. They are also fine for storing smoothies in the fridge but not so practical for travelling as they are breakable. And I wouldn’t want to travel with glass containers AND kids as that’s a recipe for disaster.
You can find more reviews of the Fruit Mason Drinking Jars or buy one here.
I haven’t tried the following smoothie containers so I can’t give them a review, but you can read all the reviews that other people have left on Amazon if you click the links.
These bottles can be bought in a variety of sizes and are deemed to be no spill as are like sippy cups for adults. You just bite and sip! The lid has a quick flip close and is easy to clean. They come in a variety of colour and are BPA free.
Check out what others think of the Camelbak or buy one here.
This Double Walled Vacuum Insulated Cruiser tumblers go above and beyond any glass, plastic or paper cup. These guys were designed to keep your ice 2-3x’s longer and work just as awesome for your steamy hot beverages. No more cold coffee! Includes a push on lid, 18/8 stainless steel straw and straw cleaner for your convenience.er safe.
You can find reviews of this Healthy Human Tumbler and buy one here.
This 20 oz smoothie container is perfect for either hot or cold drinks. It has a built in straw for easy drinking. It has a very funky design so you can drink your smoothie in style! It has a double wall insulation so your smoothie will stay cooler longer. It is perfect for walking around with and is BPA free. It has to be hand washed.
I have had several vacuum bottles like this and I really love them.
Want to buy a Funcube? Read more reviews and grab one here.
9 Klean Kanteen Coffee Set Wide Mouth Insulated Bottle w/ 2 Caps (Stainless Loop Cap and Cafe Cap) – Brushed Stainless 12 oz
This isn’t the biggest smoothie cup but it is made of stainless steel so it’s BPA free and smells don’t linger on it. It’s insulated so your smoothie will stay cold and it has a leak free design.
Check out what others think of the Klean Kanteen or buy one here.
This smoothie bottle has compartments on the top where you can store powders if you use them before you mix it all together. It also has a clip for your keys at the gym. If you’re a fan of bright pink, then this bottle is the ultimate fashion accessory.
Need to take you Green Thickies to the gym? Read more about the Smart Shake or buy one here.
If you want to take pretty pictures of your smoothies, you’ll definitely be needing this trendy mason jar with a handle. I have a stack of these in my house and I mainly use them for photos and videos of my smoothie recipes on this blog.
This mason jar solves the problem I have of finding it hard to drink from as it has a handle and the option of adding a lid. So you’ll be able to drink from a trendy glass mug which is also BPA free.
I personally don’t actually drink from them too often though because I make BIG smoothies which are over 20 ounces/ 500 ml and they simply don’t fit in these jars. But if you drink smaller quantities of smoothie that are around 16 ounces/ 300ml then these drinking jars will be perfect for you.
Kids really love them too.
Love the look of these cute drinking jars? Read why others love this too and buy one here.
These mason jars have a screw on lid with a reusable straw. They are 16 oz containers so should be easy to hold. These are very trendy looking and perfect for those avoiding plastics.
Read more reviews of the Rednek and buy it here.
Extra: Bebe Dubon Bottle Brush
With all those little nooks and crannies to clean on your smoothie cups, you may find a bottle brush handy. Your smoothie cups will probably be OK if you rinse them out immediately after use but if you leave smoothie to harder it may be harder to get off. However with this bottle brush you’ll have no problem cleaning all those hard to reach places on your smoothie container.
Buy a Bebe Dubon here. Mine is invaluable!
Bonus Smoothie Cups
Since I wrote this post and plenty more great smoothie cups and accessories have come on to the market, so here are a few extras for you!
By the way, have you ever thought about using a personal blender or a mini blender where you blend up the contents of your smoothie in the cup you are going to drink from? That can save you a lot of time.
You can look at my best blenders for smoothies post to see examples of the types of blenders I recommend.
And if you want more information about blending in general, you can check out my tips and tutorials and over 50 blender recipes in my Ultimate Smoothie Blender Guide by clicking here.
How To Lose Weight With Smoothies
If you’d love to be one dress size lighter this time next week, why not give my proven smoothie weight loss plan a go?
What do you use to store your smoothies in for storing in the fridge and taking out of the house? Do you have any good tips to share?
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020