Learning to grow organic super foods in your garden is fun and easy!
Not all superfoods come from exotic locations and you don’t need a lot of space to grow them. (Container gardening is great for small spaces.)
There is nothing more rewarding than growing, harvesting and preparing a recipe right from your own garden.
Incorporating these foods into your diet will improve your health too.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
What is a superfood?
Superfoods are foods that are considered to be extremely nutrient dense. This means that these foods have more vital nutrients per calorie than some other foods.
Many contain antioxidants and phytonutrients that can help your body to stay healthy and even heal.
The ultimate healthy superfoods list
10 best superfoods you should be eating straight from your garden with tutorials
- Spinach is a powerhouse of nutrition and is easy to grow it claims a special place among vegetables in terms of its phytonutrient content. Researchers have identified more than a dozen different flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents. Learn how to have amazing spinach crops every time.
- Dandelions are a great source of nutrients and can be found in most yards. Most people consider them to be weeds but don’t throw away those dandelion greens! Dandelion is anti-inflammatory and has anti-cancer properties. It actually contains four times as much calcium, 1.5 times as much vitamin A and 7.5 times as much vitamin K as broccoli. It’s also a diuretic and good for the kidneys and bladder! Learn how to grow the best dandelions.
- Kale is one of the top superfoods because of its risk-lowering benefits for cancer including cancer of the bladder, breast, colon, ovary, and prostate. Isothiocyanates (ITCs) made from glucosinolates in kale play a primary role in achieving these risk-lowering benefits. Kale is now recognized as providing comprehensive support for the body’s detoxification system at a genetic level. Researchers can now identify over 45 different flavonoids in kale. With kaempferol and quercetin heading the list. It’s a leader for antioxidants. Learn to grow Kale!
- Blueberries contain wide variety of nutrients. This makes them superstars of nutrition. Most health research on blueberries involves their phytonutrient content. Anthocyanins – the colorful antioxidant pigments that give many foods their wonderful shades of blue, purple, and red but this is only one of the many of blueberries phytonutrients. Blueberries are great for eye health, cardiovascular health, memory and cognitive function, blood sugar levels and are anti-cancer. Backyard Blueberry tutorial!
- Herbs such as Oregano and Rosemary, Sage and Basil are a great addition to a small herb garden and have medicinal qualities. All are anti-inflammatory. Sage is a great memory enhancer, Basil has anti-bacterial properties as does Rosemary. Oregano is anti-viral and anti-bacterial all of this is due to the high amounts of flavonoids and volatile oils found in these culinary herbs. Grow your own herb garden!
- Garlic contains Allicin—one of garlic’s most highly valued sulfur compounds. Recent research has identified additional sulfur-containing compounds that are responsible for garlic’s star status as a health-supporting food. Garlic helps with Iron absorption and is highly anti-bacterial. Grow garlic!
- Garden Cress is another leafy green that’s great for your overall health. It’s great in salads and smoothies. Garden cress leaves contains fiber, protein, Vitamin A, folate, calcium, iron, and one cup contains enough Vitamin C to fill over half the recommended quota for the day. Benefits include, cardiovascular, eyes health and anti-cancer. Learn how to grow cress!
- Cabbage is the best anti-cancer vegetable. The benefits increase with fermentation! More than 475 studies have examined the role of this cruciferous vegetable in cancer prevention (and in some cases, cancer treatment). The uniqueness of cabbage in cancer prevention is due to the three different types of nutrient groups that are abundant in this easy to grow food. Antioxidants, Anti-inflammatory anthocyanins, and Glucosinolates. Learn to grow cabbage!
- Goji Berries are at the top of the list for nutrient density. They contain all essential amino acids, and also have the highest concentration of protein of any fruit. They have lots of vitamin C and contain more carotenoids than any other food as well as having twenty-one trace minerals. They also top the list for fiber and there is no doubt that the humble goji berry is a nutritional powerhouse. Grow your own Goji berry bush!
- Beets are one of my favorites for liver and Gallbladder health. They are great detoxifiers. Beets contain vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). They also contain folate. Grow beets!
10 best superfoods recipes
Kale- Tasty kale Chips
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Blueberries- Blueberry walnut feta salad
Herbs- Oregano pesto
Garlic- Serrano and Garlic Aioli
Garden Cress- Garden Cress salad with apples and walnuts
Goji Berries- Apricot-Goji Smoothie with Maca
Beets- Golden beet and Cress salad
Brooke Murray is a certified nutrition, green living and essential oil coach at healthylivinghowto.com
To pin this click here
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020