Woo hoo! Today is my favourite day of the year!
I love this day more than Christmas or birthdays…
It’s pancake day!
Seeing as pancakes are my favourite food (apart from Green Thickies of course) I just adore pancake day – also called Shrove Tuesday.
Now depending on where you live in the world you might not have a clue what I am talking about, so let me explain.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Pancake day is celebrated in the UK and many other countries all over the world (sometimes called Mardi-Gras). It is the day before Ash Wednesday.
Ash Wednesday is the start of Lent, and for Christians that means 40 days of fasting or giving something up before Easter which is 40 days after Ash Wednesday.
So before this time of fasting people would use up the eggs, fats and sugar in their house as they would be giving up anything indulgent during lent.
So the best way to use up eggs, fats and sugar is to make pancakes!
In the UK the types of pancakes that we make are like French crepes. They are big, filling the whole frying pan with batter, but they are also very very thin.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
It is traditional to cook the pancake batter on one side and then flip the pancake over by throwing up the pan to make the pancake flip over and land the other side down without even touching the pancake.
It’s really funny to watch, especially when you have pancake failures that end up in other places of the kitchen or a crumbled mess. It’s all part of the fun of pancake day.
And the best thing is eating the pancakes covered in more sugar and lemon juice. Yum!
Well, now that I am a clean eating fanatic, there isn’t any sugar or white flour to be found in my house.
I have a rule that I eat what I want out of the house as I eat out occasionally, but in my own home, I eat healthy.
But I can’t possibly go my whole life without pancakes, that would be too tough.
So I actually eat them every single weekend.
But with 2 young kids always wanting something whenever I’m cooking, making crepes in the pan is a lot of work and often leads to burned pancakes.
So I found an easier way to make delicious pancakes, and that is what I’m sharing with you today.
I am giving you my delicious, healthy Oven Baked Pancake Bars Recipe.
Yes you heard that right – not only do these pancakes bake in the oven, meaning you can set and forget them, but they are made into the shape of bars, which means kids absolutely adore them.
And best of all, the mixture is made right inside your blender and it takes just 2 minutes to throw together this recipe. Yay!
I’m assuming you already have a blender (as you are already making your Green Thickies right? You are aren’t you?)
So the only thing you need to buy is a mold for pouring your pancake batter into.
I got myself a bar mold as I really love this shape.
My kids also adore the waffle molds and the texture seems to make them taste better for some reason.
The best thing about this recipe is that it is flour free, refined sugar free and it is so so delicious, you’ll definitely be wanting seconds, so you might want to double this recipe!
This batch will fill approximately 2 molds depending on the size.
Silicone molds are great because they are non stick so it’s very easy to get your pancakes out of them.
They are also non toxic so you don’t have to worry about any toxic chemicals leaching into your food like you do with traditional non stick baking trays.
If you don’t have any silicon, just grease any baking tray you have and pour the batter it in. As long as it’s not more than about an inch height it will cook in any container.
You will also need a set of measuring cups – but seeing as I use cups to measure all of my recipes, I am hoping you already have these.
If you need to get some measuring cups, you can get a lovely set of measuring cups here. It’s so much quicker than weighing everything!
Oven Baked Pancake Bars Recipe
Oven Baked Pancake Bars Recipe
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 Cups Rolled/Porridge Oats
- 1 Cup of water or non dairy milk (free from additives, fillers and sugars. I like this brand but I prefer to make my own)
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds (use whole if you have a high speed blender)
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or date syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or ½ teaspoon raw vanilla powder – yum!)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional) (this is my favourite cinnamon powder)
- Coconut oil or avocado oil for greasing the molds (or use olive oil if that’s all you have)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F
- Add a small amount of coconut oil (about 1 teaspoon) to the mold and put it in the oven for a few minutes until it’s melted.
- Remove the mold from the oven and spread the oil all over the inside of the molds to grease them. You can use a silicone brush like this to spread out the oil. If you use avocado oil you don’t have to melt this first as it’s already liquid.
- Add all of the ingredients (apart from the oil) to a blender and blend for about half a minute slowly until mixed together
- Pour the pancake batter into the molds. Leave a small gap at the top of the tray so that the pancakes can rise and won’t over spill.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the mixture is set and has started to turn brown.
- Remove the pancakes and serve with fruit and your favourite pancake sauce. Click here to get my pancake sauce recipe.
You’ll have a happy family if you make this recipe at the weekend.
Let me know what you think!
Have a great pancake day!
If you loved this recipe, and want more just like it, I am giving you a month’s worth of meal plans completely FREE in The Leaf System.
The Leaf System is my healthy weight loss system and it contains delicious recipes just like this one which are calorie counted to make sure you consistently lose weight.
Click the link below to get started with The Leaf System FREE:
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020