Finally – a natural protein shake that is high in protein and HAS NO PROTEIN POWDER! This vegan smoothie gets most of the protein from one natural ingredient.
I think we all agree that protein is an essential macronutrient in the diet.
But what everyone argues about is how much protein do we need?
We all have different bodies and different needs – but I believe if you eat a sensible whole foods diet then you should get enough protein.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
When it comes to smoothies – however we like to chuck everything under the sun in them and use them as an excuse to stock up on everything we think we’re lacking.
I think there is a danger in just throwing all sorts of powders into your smoothie as we sometimes forget what we have in there and might not make a link between how we are feeling and the ‘healthy’ smoothie we are drinking.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while you’ll know that I believe in trying to do things as naturally as possible using food which is as close to it’s natural state as possible.
For me that definitely means that protein powder is out. There are several reasons why I don’t use protein powder:
- It is a refined food. The protein has been taken out of the food source which means it’s harder for the body to utilize
- Proteins should be balanced with the fat and the carbs that they came from. On it’s own it’s easy to throw the body out of balance
- When we become dependent on powders and pills to sort out our nutrition it’s easy to forget that we should be getting most of our nutrients from our diets
- If you take the fat out of the protein source – it won’t satisfy you and fill you up for as long
How To Make Your Own Natural Protein Powder
If you are determined to use protein powder in your smoothie, I suggest you make the most natural version of a protein powder that you can. I actually created a 2 ingredient whole foods homemade protein powder that is both vegan, gluten free and free from harmful chemicals. Click here to get my natural protein powder recipe.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
If you are a vegan you do have to be more careful about getting your protein – but before you reach for the protein powder, I want to tell you the secret high protein ingredient that makes up the majority of the protein in this natural protein shake.
Do you know how good the simple pumpkin seed is for you?
Here’s a great video that delves deeper into the benefits of pumpkin seeds if you’re interested.
They are full of all kinds of nutritional goodies!
This natural protein shake contains 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds which is a fantastic source of protein. So what are we to do if we don’t eat dairy (or eggs for that matter). How do we make sure we still get enough protein in our smoothie to make it a complete meal and fill us up?
That’s why I created this natural protein shake for you. It has got a whopping 25 grams of protein per shake. This is more than your average scoop of protein powder!
Benefits Of This Homemade Natural Protein Shake
The great things about this natural high protein shake are:
- It’s full of real food that is GREAT for your health
- It doesn’t contain any nasty chemicals, preservatives or toxins
- It can be made organic if you use organic ingredients
- It is dairy free, egg free, vegan, gluten free, grain free, Paleo and free from lots of allergens with a nut free option
- It tastes gorgeous
- It is a full meal and will keep you going until lunch time
- It makes a great post workout meal
- You can substitute your favourite milk and favourite fruit
If you are concerned that you aren’t getting enough protein you could always get your amino acids tested to see if you are low on anything. But it’s very rare to live in the Western world and be protein deficient.
How to make a Natural Homemade Protein Shake without Protein Powder
Usually my recipes serve 2 but this one SERVES 1. For it to be a meal replacement you will probably need to drink most or all of this shake.
It is high in calories but it’s about a third of your calories for an average woman which is the amount I’d recommend having for breakfast.
If you scrimp on energy at breakfast time you’ll end up reaching for junk mid morning. This smoothie will keep you going until lunch time. I believe the best way to lose weight/fat it to make sure you’re completely satisfied from healthy foods to stop yourself reaching for unhealthy foods.
Once you balance your sugar levels and eat a healthy diet you’ll start to notice the fat shifting.
How Much Protein Is In This DIY Natural Protein Shake?
Here is a break down of the nutrition in this natural protein shake: The 25 grams of protein in this smoothie is based on all the recommended ingredients including the spinach. If you make substitutions your protein will be adjusted accordingly.
If you don’t want to use the spinach just take 2 grams of protein off the smoothie – so it would contain a total of 23 grams of protein. Popeye wasn’t strong for no reason!
How To Make A High Protein Meal Replacement Shake Without Protein Powder
Although the recipe that I’m sharing today is high in protein, it is also fairly high in calories which is fine if you want to gain weight. But if you want to lose weight, you might be better off making my other high protein smoothie. You can click the link below or watch the video for more details about that here.Print
How to make a Natural High Protein Shake without Protein Powder (Dairy Free, Paleo, Vegan, Raw)
Natural high protein meal replacement shake.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- 2 Cups Milk. Use your favourite milk. I use either Homemade Almond Milk or Homemade Coconut Milk
- 1 Banana or mango or peach
- 1 Peach or pear or mango
- ¼ Cup Dates or raisins or use your own healthy sweetener to taste
- ¼ cup of Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ cup of Almonds or ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds or other seeds
To make into a Green Smoothie add:
- 1 Cup Spinach, tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed (or any other mild greens)
- OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract or half a vanilla pod (adds amazing taste and contains no nasties – but only suitable for high speed blenders)
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
– This smoothie serves 1 so if you have higher calorie requirements you might need to make more.
Suitable for Special Diets:
– Gluten free
– Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free
– Salt free (don’t add salt)
– Nut free
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
I know you may not have time to digest all this right now, so I wanted to give you a handy print out of this DIY protein shake so you can stick it on your fridge to help you on your journey to optimal health.
If you would like more high protein natural smoothies, you are going to love my book, 80 Green Thickies Recipes. Check it out.
If you would like to know how to make your own meal replacement shakes, you’ll love this article where I walk you through it step by step and give you 20 different ingredients you can use to make your shakes more filling, 20 Ways to Make Homemade Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss.
And if you’re ready to dive deeper into the world of homemade protein shakes, I’ve got you covered. I have created the Ultimate Guide To Natural Protein Shakes which contains all of my resources, tutorials and over 50 natural protein recipes. Click here to get my complete guide to protein shakes.
3 Must-Have High-Protein Natural Smoothie Products
1. A Blender That Will Last A Lifetime
I recommend this blender to make your smoothies in. This is the best quality blender at the lowest price you’ll ever see. You will need a good quality blender to blend hard ingredients like pumpkin seeds and make the smoothie completely smooth without any bits.
If you want more blender recommendations, here are my top 10 blenders for smoothies.
2. A Smoothie Cup For Healthy Meals On The Go
The best thing about smoothies is they are portable which saves you time.
So you’ll be needing a container to transport them from A to B.
This is my favorite smoothie container as it doesn’t leak and there are no hidden areas which makes it easy to clean in the dishwasher. Plus it’s pretty cheap, and good quality.
And if you want ALL of my smoothie bottle recommendations, you’ll want to read this post.
3. Digital Scales
As you are trying to make sure you keep your nutrients on track, you’ll be needing to get exact with your measurements. The best way to do that is to weigh everything. Sometimes ingredients can get stuck in measuring cups making the measurements a lot lower. Or when you just guess, you’ll always end up doubling your calorie count without a doubt.
I especially like to weigh my frozen spinach as that never fits neatly into a measuring cup anyway.
How To Guarantee Your Weight Loss With Green Smoothies
And if you’re looking for even more delicious, natural protein, gluten free, dairy free, low calories recipes, including an abundance of filling green smoothie recipes, I am giving you a month’s worth of meal plans from The Leaf Systemcompletely FREE this month.
Pin this for later.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020