Green Hawaiian Smoothie: Perfect for travelling
Sometimes it’s just nice to keep it simple and go back to basics with good sweet, fresh ripe fruit as the base for our green smoothies. This Hawaiian smoothie is naturally sweet so doesn’t need any additional sweeteners. I found this recipe on the Girl In The Green Apron. The original recipe included hemp oil but I prefer to include whole foods in my smoothies and save the oils for my salads when I will enjoy them much more. So I added hemp seeds but you could add any type of seeds you have.
My husband, baby and I are preparing for a visit to family in Scotland and England for 10 days so I’ve been busy trying to organise this trip. Trying to organise travelling with a baby has involved much more thought and time than it used to with only the two of us, especially when she’s now eating solids, is a vegan and I’m trying to keep her eating healthy whole foods. I’ve been wondering where will she eat, how will I prepare her foods, will she mess up other people’s houses? etc etc. A holiday is no longer a holiday when you have children, it’s just taking your normal chores to someone else’s house! Anyway, I’m really looking forward to seeing my family, some who have never met my baby.
I’m packing my blender so I can continue making green thickies for us all. Usually I just eat unhealthily when I go away and feel tired and run down the whole time. This time I’m determined that me and my baby at least are going to eat healthily as normal and have as much energy as we normally do. It’s also the first time I’ll be away from my vitamix, so I’ll be taking my old cheap blender (ah, how I remember the bottom falling out of that blender full of burning hot soup and scalding my hand. I know it was a stupid thing to do to put the soup in while it was still boiling, but while I was pregnant, I just wasn’t thinking straight and kept having very silly and quite serious accidents- I blame baby brain!) Anyway, I’ve never attempted making green thickies in a cheaper blender so I’ll be in a much better position to know what works with other types of blenders when I return. I’ll let you know if it all worked out well when we get back.
It’s recipes like this Hawaiian Green Smoothie that are perfect for travelling as they just contain a few simple ingredients, nothing too fancy, nothing that can go too far wrong. I’m just going to be making very simple recipes while I’m away with fruits that don’t require too much chopping or peeling. How do you eat when you go away? Do you still carry on making green smoothies?
Gluten free*, raw*, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, sugar free, wheat free*, soya free*, salt free, nut free*
- 1 Cups Non Dairy Milk (oat, rice, soya, almond, hemp, coconut drink or raw nut or seed milk)
- 1 Cup Kale, tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed. (Or Spinach or any other mild greens)
- 2 Cups Melon (Cantaloupe, Galia or honeydew)
- 3 Cups Pineapple
- 1 Banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup Oats (use raw oat groats if following a raw food diet or oatmeal if you don’t have a powerful blender)
- 2 Tablespoons Hemp Seeds (or ground flaxseeds if you don’t have a powerful blender.
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- Blend the ingredients a few at a time so that your blender can cope with the work, unless you’ve got a high powered blender, then you might be able to add them all in at once.
- If it gets too thick, add more water as necessary.
- If your blender has made the smoothie too warm, you can either cool it down in the fridge or freezer, or add some ice cubes or frozen fruit to it (You may need to add more water as this will thicken it further).
Please rate this recipe and leave a comment. Help to spread the word about Green Thickies and share this recipe. Many thanks and blessings to you.
[udesign_recent_posts title="More Green Smoothies of the Week" category_id="77" num_posts="8" post_offset="0" num_words_limit="23" show_date_author="0" show_more_link="0" show_thumbs="1" thumb_frame_shadow="1" post_thumb_width="100" post_thumb_height="80"]
Did you enjoy this post? Like my Facebook Page for fun, freebies and interesting facts, and subscribe to my FREE 12 week e-course to get started with Green Smoothies, lose weight and transform your health. Please comment below.
Latest posts by Katherine Natalia @ Green Thickies (see all)
- 35 Healthy Luxurious Holiday Drinks to heal your body this Christmas - December 10, 2013
- 1 Minute Blender Mint & Choc Vegan Hot Chocolate - December 8, 2013
- Healthy Vegan Friday 72: Best Vegan Recipes Roundup - December 6, 2013