Healthy Carrot Cake Dessert Thickie: (Green Smoothie of the Week) Indulgent but amazingly healthy
This Healthy Carrot Cake smoothie will be the last Dessert Thickie in the series, unless I come across one during Green Smoothie of the week. Although I absolutely adore Dessert Thickies and I have made many more of them, I feel the need to move on to something a bit lighter.
These particular thickies are higher in calories than a lot of other Green Thickies, but they will keep you going for a lot longer. In fact you may be able to drink the same portion for breakfast and lunch. You could also drink a quarter of the recipe for half the number of calories listed. I don’t actually count calories. I just let my hunger guide me and try and eat healthily. It works most of the time. (I have bad food days as I am human but they are getting less and less the more greens I consume) I know a lot of people do count calories and I’m always interested to know the calorie count, so I include them anyway.
So this recipe for Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie is a bonus recipe – not only is it a gorgeous dessert thickie (one of my favourites) but it’s a green thickie so you’ll get your usual energy boost from the greens without being able to taste them.
Plus it actually includes 10, yes 10 carrots! It made a full blender’s worth of smoothie so the quantity increased but this is mainly due to the carrots, all other ingredients stayed the same. So if you want some more inspiration for making this smoothie (not that you’ll need any more once you taste it) I can tell you that the full recipe contains over 9 cups of fruit or veg portions.
If you drink half of this for one meal you’ll have 4.5 cups. Basing the fruit and vegetable consumption on serving sizes is now a thing of the past, and the USDA is now advising you measure your fruit and veg intake in cups. They say a person on a 2000 calorie diet should be eating 2 cups of fruit and 2.5 cups of vegetables per day. This is 4.5 cups which is exactly how many cups half of this recipe contains. So you’ll meet the daily recommendations just from this one meal!
OK so that’s not an excuse to eat rubbish for the rest of the day, as we’re aiming for improved health here, but by drinking this smoothie you can definitely have your cake and eat it!
I used a high powered blender for this smoothie, so if you are using a standard blender you might want to chop your carrot small enough for your blender to handle and add it in piece by piece to test it. It might not end up ultra smooth but at least it will encourage you to chew your food. I heard a great expression the other day: ‘Chew your liquids and liquidise your solids. So basically chew everything until it becomes liquid in your mouth. If you don’t chew your smoothies your stomach won’t be prepared, (your saliva sends a signal to the stomach to produce enough stomach acid) and you might end up with a stomach ache. It sounds funny but it makes the world of difference if you let your mouth pre-digest your food.
Who needs a juicer for carrots when you can have carrot cake smoothie!
If you missed my latest ‘How To’ post, this Ultimate Guide to Green Smoothies, will answer all your green smoothie questions and more.
Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie
FRUIT SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS*
2 Cups *Dairy Free Milk (Like this) |
½ Cup *Water* (or enough so your blender can blend your carrots easily)
10 small to medium *Carrots*
¼ Cup *Pecans (Like this)
¼ Cup *Dates (Like this)
1 Teaspoon *Cinnamon (Like this) | ie
Juice ½ *Lemon*
Optional: 1 Cup of *Oats* or other Filler – click here to see the other fillers you can choose from |
*Blend the ingredients in the following order:*
1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
– _Add more water if required to thin it out._
– _Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have._
– _If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down._
*How much should I drink to replace a meal?*
– Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
– This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should *DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE*. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
*Suitable for Special Diets:*
– *Gluten free* (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
– *Raw* (Use raw oats/quinoa)
– *Vegetarian*, *vegan*, *dairy free*, *egg free*, *refined sugar free*, *wheat free*, *soya free* (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
– *Salt free* (don’t add salt)
– *Nut free* (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
*More information about making the perfect Green Thickie*
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
Please like this post on G+ by clicking the + in this box
Get your copy FREE!The ultimate no hunger one week smoothie cleanse.Previously sold for $19.00. Only available FREE for a limited time...Give your body a much needed detox, eliminate the harmful toxins from your body so your body finally has a chance to heal…This free cleanse is like no other cleanse you’ve ever seen. It is simple, easy to follow, you won’t go hungry and hey - you’ll even enjoy it! Plus you are going to see results - and fast! Like as soon as tomorrow morning if you can get started today. Click here to download your copy.