This Easy Black Forest Cake Smoothie can also be easily turned into a complete meal replacement if you include the optional extra healthy fillers such as oats.
You can also easily convert this smoothie into a protein shake by including the optional natural plant based protein such as nuts or seeds.
You can turn this recipe into a green smoothie by including the optional leafy greens in this recipe.
This Healthy Carrot Cake smoothie will be the last Dessert Thickie in the series, unless I come across one during Green Smoothie of the week.
Although I absolutely adore Dessert Thickies and I have made many more of them, I feel the need to move on to something a bit lighter.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
These particular thickies are higher in calories than a lot of other Green Thickies, but they will keep you going for a lot longer. In fact you may be able to drink the same portion for breakfast and lunch.
You could also drink a quarter of the recipe for half the number of calories listed.
I don’t actually count calories. I just let my hunger guide me and try and eat healthily.
It works most of the time. (I have bad food days as I am human but they are getting less and less the more greens I consume) I know a lot of people do count calories and I’m always interested to know the calorie count, so I include them anyway.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
So this recipe for Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie is a bonus recipe – not only is it a gorgeous dessert thickie (one of my favourites) but it’s a green thickie so you’ll get your usual energy boost from the greens without being able to taste them.
Plus it actually includes 10, yes 10 carrots!
It made a full blender’s worth of smoothie so the quantity increased but this is mainly due to the carrots, all other ingredients stayed the same.
So if you want some more inspiration for making this smoothie (not that you’ll need any more once you taste it) I can tell you that the full recipe contains over 9 cups of fruit or veg portions.
If you drink half of this for one meal you’ll have 4.5 cups.
Basing the fruit and vegetable consumption on serving sizes is now a thing of the past, and the USDA is now advising you measure your fruit and veg intake in cups. They say a person on a 2000 calorie diet should be eating 2 cups of fruit and 2.5 cups of vegetables per day.
This is 4.5 cups which is exactly how many cups half of this recipe contains. So you’ll meet the daily recommendations just from this one meal!
OK so that’s not an excuse to eat rubbish for the rest of the day, as we’re aiming for improved health here, but by drinking this smoothie you can definitely have your cake and eat it!
I used a high powered blender for this smoothie, so if you are using a standard blender you might want to chop your carrot small enough for your blender to handle and add it in piece by piece to test it. It might not end up ultra smooth but at least it will encourage you to chew your food.
I heard a great expression the other day: ‘Chew your liquids and liquidise your solids. So basically chew everything until it becomes liquid in your mouth. If you don’t chew your smoothies your stomach won’t be prepared, (your saliva sends a signal to the stomach to produce enough stomach acid) and you might end up with a stomach ache. It sounds funny but it makes the world of difference if you let your mouth pre-digest your food.
Who needs a juicer for carrots when you can have carrot cake smoothie!
If you missed my latest ‘How To’ post, this Ultimate Guide to Green Smoothies, will answer all your green smoothie questions and more.Print
Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie: Dessert Thickie
This indulgent yet extremely healthy carrot cake smoothie contains a whopping 4.5 cups of fruit and veg per serving. It tastes just like the real thing.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie Ingredients
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 2 Cups Dairy Free Milk (Like this)
- ½ Cup Water (or enough so your blender can blend your carrots easily)
- 2 Bananas
- 10 small to medium Carrots
- ¼ Cup Pecans (Like this)
- ¼ Cup Dates (Like this)
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (Like this)
- Juice ½ Lemon
- Optional: 1 Cup of Oats or other Filler – click here to see the other fillers you can choose from
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
Suitable for Special Diets:
- Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu)
- Salt free (don’t add salt)
- Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
See all of my favorite essential healthy ingredients needed to make these recipes AND all of the best resources and products I can’t live without by clicking here.
- Serving Size: 550 ml/20 oz /1 pint
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie:
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie.
This recipe is a blended complete meal containing natural protein sources and leafy greens. If you’d like any more information about these topics, check out my complete guides below:
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ...
And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)