This Easy Black Forest Cake Smoothie can also be easily turned into a complete meal replacement if you include the optional extra healthy fillers such as oats.
You can also easily convert this smoothie into a protein shake by including the optional natural plant based protein such as nuts or seeds.
You can turn this recipe into a green smoothie by including the optional leafy greens in this recipe.
This Healthy Carrot Cake smoothie will be the last Dessert Thickie in the series, unless I come across one during Green Smoothie of the week.
Although I absolutely adore Dessert Thickies and I have made many more of them, I feel the need to move on to something a bit lighter.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
These particular thickies are higher in calories than a lot of other Green Thickies, but they will keep you going for a lot longer. In fact you may be able to drink the same portion for breakfast and lunch.
You could also drink a quarter of the recipe for half the number of calories listed.
I don’t actually count calories. I just let my hunger guide me and try and eat healthily.
It works most of the time. (I have bad food days as I am human but they are getting less and less the more greens I consume) I know a lot of people do count calories and I’m always interested to know the calorie count, so I include them anyway.
So this recipe for Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie is a bonus recipe – not only is it a gorgeous dessert thickie (one of my favourites) but it’s a green thickie so you’ll get your usual energy boost from the greens without being able to taste them.
Plus it actually includes 10, yes 10 carrots!
It made a full blender’s worth of smoothie so the quantity increased but this is mainly due to the carrots, all other ingredients stayed the same.
So if you want some more inspiration for making this smoothie (not that you’ll need any more once you taste it) I can tell you that the full recipe contains over 9 cups of fruit or veg portions.
If you drink half of this for one meal you’ll have 4.5 cups.
Basing the fruit and vegetable consumption on serving sizes is now a thing of the past, and the USDA is now advising you measure your fruit and veg intake in cups. They say a person on a 2000 calorie diet should be eating 2 cups of fruit and 2.5 cups of vegetables per day.
This is 4.5 cups which is exactly how many cups half of this recipe contains. So you’ll meet the daily recommendations just from this one meal!
OK so that’s not an excuse to eat rubbish for the rest of the day, as we’re aiming for improved health here, but by drinking this smoothie you can definitely have your cake and eat it!
I used a high powered blender for this smoothie, so if you are using a standard blender you might want to chop your carrot small enough for your blender to handle and add it in piece by piece to test it. It might not end up ultra smooth but at least it will encourage you to chew your food.
I heard a great expression the other day: ‘Chew your liquids and liquidise your solids. So basically chew everything until it becomes liquid in your mouth. If you don’t chew your smoothies your stomach won’t be prepared, (your saliva sends a signal to the stomach to produce enough stomach acid) and you might end up with a stomach ache. It sounds funny but it makes the world of difference if you let your mouth pre-digest your food.
Who needs a juicer for carrots when you can have carrot cake smoothie!
If you missed my latest ‘How To’ post, this Ultimate Guide to Green Smoothies, will answer all your green smoothie questions and more.
Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie
- FRUIT SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS
- 2 Cups Dairy Free Milk Like this
- ½ Cup Water or enough so your blender can blend your carrots easily
- 2 Bananas
- 10 small to medium Carrots
- ¼ Cup Pecans Like this
- ¼ Cup Dates Like this
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Like this
- Juice ½ Lemon
- Optional: 1 Cup of Oats or other Filler - click here to see the other fillers you can choose from
- Buy good quality smoothie ingredients at Village Green Network Marketplace
- Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- 1. Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- 2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- 3. Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- More tips:
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- - Add more water if required to thin it out.
- - Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- - If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- - Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- - This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
- Suitable for Special Diets:
- - Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- - Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- - Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
- - Salt free (don't add salt)
- - Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn't include coconuts)
- More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
- If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie:
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie.
This recipe is a blended complete meal containing natural protein sources and leafy greens. If you’d like any more information about these topics, check out my complete guides below:
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020