71 Coconut Oil Benefits: My Experiments with Coconut Oil
There is so much hype about Coconut Oil benefits at the moment. I remember reading a book about coconut oil when I was suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so I started taking it daily and did actually start to feel better. However when I started my major healing through my raw food diet I kept my fat intake much lower so forgot all about coconut oil.
I’ve recently stumbled upon another book, The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife which was very convincing, so I decided it was high time to experiment with this ‘miracle’ food.
To give you a bit of background, coconuts have been used as a major food source for thousands of years by millions of people in Asia, PacificIslands, Africa and Central America. Before the introduction of modern foods, many of these people depended almost entirely on coconut to sustain life. They didn’t suffer from heart disease, cancer, arthritis, diabetes and many other degenerative diseases until they abandoned their traditional diets.
Coconut oil has a long and highly respected reputation in many cultures throughout the world, not only as a valuable food but also as an effective medicine. The healing miracles of the coconut have long been recognised in those cultures where it is grown. Only recently have these benefits started to become known to the rest of the world.
There have been many reported claims of coconut oil such as:
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
- Reduce Psoriasis
- Eliminate Dandruff
- Remove Pre cancerous skin lesion
- Speed Flu recovery
- Stop bladder infections
- Overcome chronic fatigue
- Relieve haemorrhoids
- treat dental cavities
- reduce peptic ulcers
- Can help with benign prostaic hyperplasia
- To treat Epilepsy
- Clear up Genital herpes
- To treat Hepatitis C
- To treat HIV/AIDs
- Prevent heart disease
- Indirectly lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
- Reduces blood clotting
- Reduces stroke risk
- Prevents damage from free radicals
- Improves dental health
- Improves immune system
- Treats Candida
- Treats infections
- Treats parasites
- Improves IBS
- Lose weight
- Speed your metabolism
- Gain energy
- Reduce cravings for junk food
Apply to body to
- Prevent liver spots
- Remove dead skin cells
- Limit damage from sun exposure
- Eliminate dry skin
- Protect skin from germs
- Heal wounds
- Condition hair
- Quickly reduces blisters
- Reduce warts
- Eliminate athletes foot
- Prevent wrinkles
- Reduce inflammation
It also has been claimed that coconut oil:
- Supports the development of strong bones
- Protects against osteoporosis
- Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis
- Reduces severity of symptoms in malabsorption syndrome
- Reduces severity of symptoms in cystic fibrosis
- Relieves symptoms of gallbladder disease
- Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease
- Relieves symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis
- Relieves symptoms associated with stomach ulcers
- Protects the body from breast, colon and other cancers
- Prevents premature aging and degenerative diseases
- Prevents liver disease
- Kills bacteria that causes pneumonia
- Kills bacteria that causes earache
- Kills bacteria that causes throat infection
- Kills bacteria that causes food poisoning
- Kills bacteria that causes urinary tract infections
- Kills bacteria that causes meningitis
- Kills bacteria that causes gonorrhoea
- Kills fungi and yeast that causes ringworm
- Kills fungi and yeast that causes nappy rash
- Expels or kills tapeworm
- Expels or kills lice
- Expels or kills giardia
- Reduces symptoms associated with eczema
- Reduces symptoms associated with dermatitis
- Prevents sagging skin
- Treats burns
- Treats kidney stones
- Treats choleraic dysentery
Daily Recommended Dose
- 3 ½ Tablespoons Coconut Oil or
- Half a Coconut or
- 2 ¾ cups dried coconut or
- 10 ounces (295 ml) Coconut milk
How to use coconut oil
Coconut oil is hard at room temperature but will melt when you add it to your cooking. Replace all your vegetable oils with coconut oils. It is perfect to fry foods in.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
If you want to melt it without cooking it (to drink it, add it to a drink, soup or yoghurt etc.) you could put the desired amount of coconut oil in a cup. Place the cup in a bowl and fill the bowl with boiling water. The oil will melt quickly.
You don’t need to store coconut oil in the fridge. It will keep for 2 years out of the fridge.
Other ways to eat coconut oil
- Spread it on your toast
- Use it on your baked potato
- Add it to smoothies
- Add it to your hot drinks
- Add it to baking to replace butter
- Add it to your pancake mixture
- Add it to soups and stews
My Personal Experiments with Coconut Oil
I have been taking about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil daily and using it in my cooking for the last 3 months for this experiment.
In addition to eating it straight, I have been using coconut oil for:
- Nappy Cream for my baby
- Hand moisturiser
- Lip moisturiser
- Hair conditioner
- Face cleaning
- Face moisturiser
- Replaced all oils for cooking with coconut oil
- Added it to smoothies, pancakes and hot drinks
- Oil pulling (I’ll talk more about this in another post)
Benefits of Coconut Oil that I’ve noticed myself
- Baby’s chronic nappy rash cleared up completely
- Clearing up a rash on my body that’s been there for over 2 years by applying coconut oil to it.
- To immediately eliminate a very itchy foot (had been there for 4 days and went straight away as soon as I put coconut oil on it and didn’t return)
- Reduced cravings for junk food
- Filled me up and stopped me getting so hungry and low blood sugar while pregnant as no foods seemed to keep me going for very long until I added coconut to them.
- Hair has become softer and less frizzy
- Skin is much softer from just ingesting it
- Skin became even softer when I used it as a moisturiser.
- Have completely eliminated any acne (3 months of pregnancy, got lots at the start which disappeared when I started moisturising face with coconut oil)
- So far none of the problems that I had during my previous pregnancy at this stage (severe cravings for sugar, toothache, crippling backache, heartburn, agonising stomach aches, extreme insomnia, spots, severe reaction to central heating, headaches, daily feverishness) which could of course just be a coincidence.
- Toothache and tooth sensitivity to foods completely went away. (I’m still awaiting a dentist appointment so I’ve yet to see if I do indeed have a cavity as I suspected at the start of my pregnancy)
Where to buy Coconut Oil
I had been using so much coconut oil for this experiment that I have been buying it in bulk which reduces the price by half.
Coconut Oil has a subtle coconut scent which you don’t notice when you use it to cook with. I’ve been using an extra virgin organic coconut oil which is the best quality of coconut oil.
What I like about Coconut Oil
I love the way my cooked food tastes when I’ve used coconut oil to stir fry my food in. I like that I can keep it out of the fridge and it lasts a long time. I love the fact it comes from a fruit as that makes it feel much more natural to me as I am consuming coconut oil every time I eat coconut.
What I don’t like about Coconut Oil
I really went off the taste of coconut oil eaten straight from the spoon and afterwards I would often feel sickly. This never happened if I cooked with coconut oil or if it was added to my food. I sometimes think why don’t we just eat the whole coconut rather than extracting the oil as I prefer to base my diet around whole foods. However if I am to use any oil then coconut oil would definitely be my preferred oil.
When coconut oil is applied directly to the skin it can feel a bit greasy if you use too much and seems to easily rub off. But I have developed some homemade cosmetics that include coconut oil alongside other ingredients and they work perfectly. I’ll be sharing these in the future.
My Conclusion about coconut Oil Benefits
I did see noticeable benefits from using coconut oil that couldn’t be attributed to other things, especially my 2 year rash clearing up after applying coconut oil to it. There is no denying my skin is a lot softer too. But the other benefits are hard to pinpoint directly to coconut oil. However I do believe it’s a great food and I am going to continue to use it. I’m still undecided as to how much fat I should be having in my diet but anytime I would be using another oil I’m going to try and use coconut oil instead and not go overboard with the use of it as I also consume a lot of coconut in other forms as I make my own coconut milk and add coconut to my smoothies, so I do think coconut oil is extremely beneficial but so is the entire coconut!
Like this on G+ by clicking the + in the box:
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020