If you like grapefruit and a sweet and sour kick to your green smoothies, this sweet and sour drink will be right up your street.
This smoothie contains dried apricots, and I’m going to explain how you can choose healthier dried apricots that don’t use sulphur dioxides in the drying process.
So when my Dad asked me if I had a recipe for a Green Thickie with grapefruit I was afraid I didn’t have a good one at that time to give him. (I’ve been creating more since).
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
So as he already had some grapefruit he went off and created his own green thickie recipe called Dad’s Big Super Sweet and Sour Drink. He said it was lovely and sweet so I couldn’t wait to try it.
His original recipe contained so many cups of dried fruit that would have made the calorie content go through the roof. So I decided to cut down the amount of dried fruit. The result may not be as sweet as the original, but you can always add more sweetener.
It’s definitely a sweet and sour smoothie as there is a strong grapefruit kick to it. So if you like grapefruit you’ll love this green thickie. I found it a very interesting taste and a nice break from all the super sweet green thickies I’d been making lately.
Grapefruit is a great fruit to have on stand by as it stays fresh for a good long time.
This smoothie contains dried apricots.
While I was shopping for apricots I was pleased to see ‘Natural Apricots’ available. This means they have been dried without the use of sulphur dioxide which produces sulphites. This is a preservative which stops the apricots turning brown and keeps them a bright orange.
Some people can have bad reactions to sulphites so if you have the choice it’s better to choose the more natural option. The natural apricots are brown and the apricots dried using sulphur dioxide are bright orange. The brown dried apricots also have a much nicer caramel taste to them.
This is a massive smoothie. I kept adding cup after cup of water to it and it was still extremely thick. So the quantity is much bigger but you can always half the recipe to make a more reasonable sized portion as this made a blender full.
Dried apricots are very gelatinous too so if you leave this smoothie in the fridge it will just get thicker and thicker! So feel free to add more liquids as it suits you.
A thickie is certainly the right name for this smoothie.
I also loved the fact that this smoothie contained broccoli and cauliflower which gives you another veg option to put into your smoothies if you run out of leafy greens.
Looking at the ingredients it could also probably make a really nice stir fry (You could make a sweet and sour sauce out of the oats, water and dried fruit), but I’ve not tried that just yet.
I just love receiving recipes from other people. I think it’s great to get inspiration from others as they have ideas for food that you would never have thought of. So I really hope all you grapefruit lovers out there will enjoy my Dad’s first shared green thickie recipe.
This sweet and sour drink has a great tang to it amongst the sweetness.
If you have any green thickie recipes to share I’d love to have them and feature them on this website. If you would like to share a recipe please leave it in the comments or Contact Me here.
Dad’s Big Super Sweet and Sour Drink (Green Smoothie/Green Thickie)
- 4 Cup Water If you are drinking this straight away substitute one cup of ice for water so it’s nice and cool
- 1 Cup Non Dairy Milk oat, rice, soya, almond, hemp, coconut drink or raw nut or seed milk
- 1 Pink Grapefruit or other type of grapefruit. You can use oranges instead for a less sharp taste
- ½ Cup Broccoli (Or any mild leafy greens)
- ½ Cup Cauliflower (Or mild leafy greens)
- 1 Tablespoon Linseeds or any type of plain seeds.
- 1 Tablespoon Almonds or any type of plain nuts
- ¼ Cup dates or any other dried fruit which can also be pre-soaked for a smoother blend
- 1 Cup Dried Apricots Brown un-sulphured ones are best or other dried fruit
- 1 Cup Oats If you don’t have a powerful blender and want the smoothie very smooth you can soak the oats for an hour before blending
- Blend the ingredients in the order listed.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge.
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie.
Suitable for Special Diets (Gluten free*, raw*, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, sugar free, wheat free*, soya free*, salt free, nut free*)
* If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
This recipe is a blended complete meal containing natural protein sources and leafy greens. If you’d like any more information about these topics, check out my complete guides below:
- The Ultimate Smoothie Blender Guide
- The Only Guide To Protein Shakes You’ll Ever Need
- Over 50 Spinach Recipes: The Complete Collection
- The Complete Guide To Green Smoothies
- The Essential Guide To Meal Replacement Shakes
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020