These smoothie sweeteners make your smoothie sweeter and are natural, healthy, plant-based, good for balancing blood sugar levels and weight loss.
It is very trendy to avoid sugar at the moment.
However, I think people have to define what they mean by ‘sugar’ before implementing a blanket ban on anything sweet.
There are naturally occurring sugars in most natural foods and that’s how we get our energy.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
The brain actually runs on sugar.
I’m not a fan of diets that cut out sugar completely. I’ve tried them all and I felt awful, no energy and I had severe brain fog.
So I do believe we need to eat ‘some’ sugar. Just not ‘all’ sugar.
Refined sugar is actually very harmful to the body in so many different ways. The body doesn’t process it well and it spikes your blood sugar levels eventually leading to long-lasting health problems.
And artificial sweeteners are even worse. These have been linked to cancer and other diseases, so they should definitely be avoided.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
So should we be eating sweet food at all?
I believe that yes we should. I think we have a sweet tooth for a reason, and that is to lead us to consume healthy naturally sweet foods such as fruit.
However, I don’t think we should only eat sweet foods. Have you ever tried eating only sweet foods and nothing else for a while?
I’ve tried it on various cleanses and fruit only diets.
Before too long you end up craving savory foods, and that’s why a balance of fruit and veg is very important for our health.
I also believe that when you add both sweet and savory foods to a smoothie, even if the predominant taste is a sweet one, that it satisfies you in a much greater way than simply making a fruit-only smoothie.
That’s why I always add leafy greens to my smoothies. It helps me feel much more balanced and satisfied.
So if sweet food is good for us, what natural smoothie sweeteners can we use?
Obviously, fruit is the perfect starting place for adding sweetness to your smoothie. But just say you added in your fruit, and it just doesn’t taste sweet enough?
What else can we use?
Luckily there are plenty of healthy natural sweeteners we can use. Here are my favorites.
All of these smoothie sweeteners are healthy, natural and will actually reduce your cravings for junk food which helps you lose weight much more easily.
19 Natural Smoothie Sweeteners To Balance Blood Sugar Levels
1. Raw Honey
A source of Vitamin C, antioxidants, protein, iron and fiber.
2. Date Syrup
- Only one ingredient: organic dates! No fillers, flavors, colors or additives!
- More potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, and phosphorus than maple syrup and honey,
- Rich in antioxidants and electrolytes. Dairy-free, nut-free.
3. Maple Syrup
- Maple syrup contains zinc, potassium, manganese, thiamine, calcium, iron, magnesium and riboflavin.
- It also contains many natural antioxidants that have many benefits for the body.
4. Chocolate Syrup
- Chocolate syrup is made from raw cacao powder and raw agave.
- Each ingredient is carefully processed without heat.
- It stores well at room temperature, not requiring refrigeration, yet contains no preservatives or binders.
5. Stevia Drops
- Stevia is a tasty and convenient way to flavor water, yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies, coffee, and much more.
- Zero calories and zero carbs.
- Safe for diabetics.
6. Stevia Powder
- Stevia powder is a natural sweetener made from the stevia leaf.
- No calories or carbs and no artificial ingredients.
- Non-glycemic response, no bitterness or aftertaste, non GMO.
7. Agave Nectar
- Low glycemic agave nectar is an all-natural sweetener harvested from organically grown agave plants.
- It’s a simple plant-based food that is a natural alternative to processed sugar and artificial sweeteners. A
- gave nectar is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar so you use less!
8. Coconut Palm Sugar
A healthy sweetener. Naturally low on the Glycemic Index, it won’t cause your blood sugar to spike.
Erythritol is a low-calorie sweetener and is a good substitute for sugar in your recipes.
10. Medjool Dates
- Perfect to make sweet snacks.
- Ideal to sweeten nut milk.
- Perfect substitute for sugar.
- Dates are nutrient-dense and full of minerals, vitamins, and health-benefiting phytonutrients.
- Easy to digest and obtain full use of the nutrients.
- Raisins contain antioxidants, fiber, and potassium which professionals agree contribute to good health and fitness.
- 100% natural with no fat or cholesterol.
12. Orange Essential Oil
- The rich citrusy scent of orange essential oil helps lift your spirit and provide a calming influence.
- It is rich in the antioxidant d-limonene.
- Wild vanilla is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamin b2, fiber.
- This potent concentration of wild nutrients helps reduce inflammation, regulate metabolism and aids in nervous system function!
- Pure xylitol sweetener derived from the fibrous parts of plants, similar in taste to regular organic sugar.
- This is a great sugar alternative.
- Xylitol sugar is 40% lower in calories than regular sugars but contains the same sweetness.
- It can be a great choice for using in diabetic foods and snacks, keto-friendly foods or used in blood sugar support supplements.
- Each serving of yacon syrup contains only 7 calories.
- It is a low-glycemic natural sweetener.
- It has insoluble fibers which are great for the digestive system.
Brown rice syrup is a healthful, tasty alternative for those who watch their sugar intake.
Taken from the second pressing of the cane, all of the white sugar has been removed from this molasses leaving all the trace elements — especially all of those valuable minerals.
- Coconut Nectar is a natural, healthier alternative to heavily processed syrups and sweeteners that are made from refined sugars.
- No additives or preservatives.
- No artificial colors or other sugars are added.
- Fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-glycemic, vegan and Paleo-friendly.
Zero net carbs, zero calories, zero glycemic sweetener.
Here is the list of natural smoothie sweeteners at a glance.
- Raw Honey
- Date Syrup
- Maple Syrup
- Chocolate Syrup
- Stevia Drops
- Stevia Powder
- Agave Nectar
- Coconut Palm Sugar
- Medjool Dates
- Orange Essential Oil
- Yacon Syrup
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Blackstrap Molasses
- Coconut Nectar
- Monkfruit Sweetener
Which of these sweeteners do you use to sweeten your smoothies?
Trick Your Taste Buds Dessert Smoothies Cheatsheet
6 Hacks To Create Your Own Delicious Dessert Smoothies
- Beat Your Sugar Cravings For Good With 2 Minute Delicious Dessert Smoothies…
- The Essential Elements That Your Smoothie Must Contain To Trick Your Taste Buds Into Believing It Is Dessert
- The 6 Essential Ingredients To Make A Smoothie Taste Like Your Favourite Dessert…
- The One Most Important Ingredient Your Taste Buds Are Missing From Your Homemade Smoothies
- My Perfect Tasting Secret Lemon Meringue Dessert Smoothie Recipe
Related Resources You Will Love
Here are all the most popular resources that will help you take things to the next level:
- 16 Best Smoothie Storage Solutions: My Smoothie Station Ideas
- 16 Best Reusable Smoothie Straws To Save Your Teeth… And The Planet
- 5 Best Smoothie Recipe Books, Meal Plans & Detoxes For Fast Weight Loss
- 17 Fruit Fashion Items That Makes A Statement
- 200+ Smoothie Ingredients Shopping List Printable
- FREE Weight Loss Smoothie Recipe Card
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started