It’s that time of year when it’s getting cold, dark and all you want to do is comfort eat and sit by the fire.
So what do we do when we still want to get our servings of fresh fruit and veg in – but we can’t stand the thought of drinking a cold smoothie?
We add warming spices to our smoothies.
This smoothie is the perfect cold weather smoothie and will warm you up in no time.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
It’s also a great drink to serve up on Halloween. Why? If you give your kids one of these smoothies just before they go and collect all their Halloween candy – they’ll be so full up they won’t be able to eat much of it.
My daughter is now 4 years old and having kids really makes you re-evaluate all your decisions in life. We want to be good role models as we know our children will copy us. So we have to decide what our beliefs are so we can be consistent and raise our children in ways we want to.
I’ve never had to think about Halloween much. I don’t really like it myself. I shut my door and don’t answer it. To be honest – little people wearing scaring masks and blood stained clothing kind of freaks me out. That’s the last thing I want to see when I open my door on a cold dark evening. Call me a wimp if you like but I just don’t engage with Halloween at all. It might be boring but I don’t want to celebrate Halloween myself.
Now I have a daughter who is already learning from other people that Halloween is a fun time that kids celebrate. So that means my husband and I had to sit down and have another chat about what our views were and what we were going to allow our kids to engage with.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
We have decided that we don’t want her to be excluded from the fun – but that any special outfits she wears have to be positive and not scary. She can enjoy dressing up but we don’t want her to scare any old ladies.
We have also decided that she can eat Halloween treats after a proper meal and only on Halloween. The next day we will go back to normal again.
So here is a smoothie that you can call a Halloween smoothie on Halloween and on every other day of the week it shall be known as a Warming Spicy Apple Smoothie.
Do you celebrate Halloween?Print
Warming Spicy Apple Halloween Smoothie
This spicy Apple Smoothie is guaranteed to warm you up during the cold months of winter.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Smoothie
Fruit Smoothie Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Apples
- 1 Banana
- ¼ Cup Dried Coconut (like this) or Coconut Butter/ Creamed Coconut (like this) or Coconut Milk (like this)
- ½ Cup Dates (like this) (or use your own healthy sweetener to taste)
- ¼ Cup Pumpkin Seeds (like this)
- ½ Teaspoon fresh or powdered Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla extract (or to taste) (Like this)
To make into a Green Smoothie add:
- 1 Cup Spinach, tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed (or any other mild greens)
To make into a Fruit Thickie add:
To make into a Green Thickie add:
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
– Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
– This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
Suitable for Special Diets:
– Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
– Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
– Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
– Salt free (don’t add salt)
– Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie:
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started