My 7 day Green Thickie Challenge (No.1)
What I ate Wednesday
I have already lost 56 pounds on a green smoothie diet plus my additional baby weight but I have a few pounds left that I want to lose. So I am currently participating in my own Green Thickies challenge. Find out how I’m getting on at the mid week point of this challenge and what I’ve learned so far. It’s definitely already been an emotional rollercoaster.
What is ‘What I ate Wednesday’
I have been inspired to participate in the fun of ‘What I ate Wednesday’. This is an activity started by Peas and Crayons where people show photos of everything they ate on one day and share it on Wednesday. It’s a fun way of looking at other people’s meals for inspiration, especially if they eat similar types of foods to you.
What I usually eat
Up until now I haven’t thought it would be very interesting for people to see what I eat every day as lately it has consisted of Green Thickies for breakfast, Green Thickies for lunch and a cooked vegan meal on top of a massive salad for dinner. If I had snacks in the evening, I might have kale chips, spinach ice cream, fruit ice cream, more green smoothies or oat cakes with home made jam, peanut butter or date syrup.
Why I’m doing a Green Thickies challenge
However this week I’m doing something slightly different. I am setting myself a challenge to eat nothing but green thickies all week. The reasons I want to do this are:
- To see if I feel any healthier by having a short detox
- To see if I drop any of the last few pounds I’m carrying
- To drop down to the next dress size. I’ve been between sizes for a while now and I’d like to be able to buy a pair of jeans as I can’t find any clothes to fit me.
- To test my willpower as it’s been a while since I restricted my diet like this
- To save time on cooking, washing up and chewing food.
- To find out how many calories I’m eating in one day. I’m very interested to find this out as I’ve never counted my calories all day.
- To see if I can eat more intuitively based on hunger rather than because it’s time for dinner.
Monitoring my meals with My Fitness Pal
I usually use Cronometer to calculate the nutritional information that I provide for Green Thickies recipes, but I was introduced to My Fitness Pal recently as a good way to record a food diary and get a support network of people all trying to reach their ideal weight and get fit. So I thought I’d give that a try this week.
I signed up and was asked how many pounds I’d like to lose in a week. I selected 2 as I thought that was achievable. I was then told to lose 2 pounds this week I could only eat 1200 calories each day. I had already had my breakfast and some of my lunch so I inputted my meals so far and was horrified to see I’d gone way over my calories already for the day. So I asked for some help in a forum and it caused quite a stir.
I had a lot of really positive feedback on the forum but also some quite negative comments about my website too. That upset me a lot as it’s the first time I’ve experienced any negativity since I started this website, but to be honest I was expecting it at some point. When you go public with a strong opinion about diet and health that goes against popular opinion, you’re bound to experience negativity. It’s just that’s the first time, but I’m sure it won’t be the last.
Should you lose weight based on calorie intake?
I can see the pros and cons of logging calories to help you lose weight. I think looking at calories is a great way to keep your diet in check and make sure you’re not eating way too much food. It’s especially good if you’re the type of person who never feels full and could keep on eating all day long. It’s good to be aware of the number of calories in certain foods so you can ensure that you don’t eat too much but also that you don’t eat too little which is equally as important.
I believe it’s very hard to tell exactly how many calories you are burning each day so it’s hard to eat exactly the right number to make sure you lose weight. You can estimate it but it can end up being way out like I believe mine was.
I wasn’t asked if I was breastfeeding but I soon discovered I should be logging about 500 calories that could be burned due to breastfeeding.
I had also set my activity level to lightly active, but who knows if lifting a baby all day long actually uses much more calories than I thought.
It also may not be good to just follow calories alone to lose weight as you might not take exercise into account. Next Wednesday I’m going to focus more on talking about exercise, why we should ditch our scales if we’re doing weight training, and getting your dream body next week during my next What I ate Wednesday post.
All calories are not created equally
Another reason I believe it’s not great to solely rely on counting calories is that not all calories are created equally. I believe weight comes off much more easily when you eat unprocessed whole foods such as an abundance of fruit and veg.
My results so far on the Green Thickie challenge
I’m only half way through my challenge so I’ll update you again next week with my final results at the end of the week but here is what I can report so far:
- Despite going over my calories on the first day I still had lost 2lbs the next morning.
- The second time I stayed within the calories which included additional calories for breastfeeding and other exercise. The next morning I had lost 2lbs yet again which amazed me.
- I’ve been eating to hunger, only having a meal when I’m hungry and stopping when I’m full. I’ve been logging the calories I’ve consumed rather than restricting myself and trying to eat a certain number of calories. It’s been very easy to stop drinking when I’m full. My body simply won’t let me drink anymore which again is unusual for me.
- I’ve had no cravings whatsoever for any other type of food.
- Despite only getting 4 hours sleep the first night and 3 hours the second night due to my baby not sleeping, I have coped just fine just feeling slightly tired, not unable to cope as I would normally on this little sleep.
- I’ve felt very light and I’ve still had enough energy to do some light exercise despite the lack of sleep which is unusual for me.
- I have saved so much time cooking meals and washing up that I’ve got to spend loads more time playing with my baby and taking her on trips which I’ve absolutely loved.
- While I’ve been eating to hunger, and not set meal times, I do seem to consume more of my calories earlier on in they day. The saying, ‘breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper’ has been true for me and I feel much better eating this way.
I’ll update you again next week with any more revelations from this diet.
So without further ado, I’ll show you exactly what I ate on one of the days of the challenge.
I drank both servings of my Cool Breeze Mint and Pineapple Smoothie . I really enjoy this smoothie as it’s so refreshing and wakes me up in the morning.
I again drank both servings of the Key Lime Pie Green Thickie. You can find the recipe for the Key Lime Pie Smoothie here. It’s adapted from the Key Lime Pie Green Smoothie on Healthful pursuit. I fell in love with this smoothie and I’ve made it several times since I first tried it, in fact I can’t get enough of it.
I started to get hungry later on in the evening so I just had one serving of my Banana and Peanut Butter smoothie.
So a day full of smoothies isn’t the most inspiring day for you I’m sure. There’s no food for drooling over here, but that’s not my aim. My aim is to help you to feel full of life and health and realise your ideal weight. But believe me these smoothies are gorgeous and I haven’t felt at all deprived this week while drinking only green thickies.
My high calorie intake
A lot of people might be wondering why I drink both servings of my green thickies if they are supposed to only be one serving. I can only say that I don’t always drink both servings, a lot of the time I just drink one serving. I think at the moment my body is telling me it needs more food and I listen to it as I know the food I am giving it is the healthiest food I can find. The fact that I still lost weight tells me that I was right to listen to my body and eat until I was full.
I also have a higher need for food than usual as I’m breastfeeding, and my body needed a bit more energy due to lack of sleep.
We are all different and we all require a different amount of food to sustain ourselves. If you feel like one serving is too little for you also, then feel free to eat more, if one serving is too much then simply reduce the recipe down to suit your own needs. I just provide one serving on my recipes based on what I normally eat. However this does change especially if I have a bigger cooked dinner at night, I won’t be as hungry in the morning. So I think because I’ve been having smaller smoothies for dinner, that’s another reason why I’m hungrier in the morning for a double serving.
If you want to check out my MyFitnessPal profile, you’re welcome to have a look here, and if you’re a member I would love it if you added yourself as a friend and said hello. You can see exactly what I’ve been eating for every day of my challenge. However I wouldn’t advise that you copy exactly what I’ve eaten for your own weight loss journey, as all our calorie requirements are different.
So this has ended up being quite a long post, but I think it was important to explain my views on tracking calories and share my week with you as it’s been quite an eye opener for me.
Read my final results here on this 7 day Green Thickie challenge.
Do you ever track your calories? Are you on any special diet? What is the best way you’ve found to lose weight? Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
Do you want to try a Green Thickie? This basic Green Thickie Recipeis the perfect starting point.
Catch Up on all Green Thickie posts you have missed here.
Did you enjoy this post? Like my Facebook Page for fun, freebies and interesting facts, and subscribe to my FREE 12 week e-course to get started with Green Smoothies, lose weight and transform your health.
Due to the popularity of essential oils with my readers, I now have an essential oils Facebook Group. If you want to know more about essential oils, please join us by clicking here
Do you have weight to lose? Are you struggling with your health? My new 7 Day Diet Plan for Weight Loss and Improved Health will give you the boost you are looking for. Click here to read more
Latest posts by Katherine Natalia @ Green Thickies (see all)
- DAY 3 – 30 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GIFTS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS: Homemade Reed Diffuser - October 8, 2014
- DAY 2 – 30 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GIFTS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS: Festive Perfume Bar - October 8, 2014
- DAY 1: 30 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GIFTS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS: Powdered Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix - October 8, 2014