I have already lost 56 pounds on a green smoothie diet plus my additional baby weight but I have a few pounds left that I want to lose. So I am currently participating in my own Green Thickies challenge. Find out how I’m getting on at the mid week point of this challenge and what I’ve learned so far. It’s definitely already been an emotional rollercoaster.
UPDATE: Join our the all new Lean Green Smoothie Challenge.
What I usually eat
Up until now I haven’t thought it would be very interesting for people to see what I eat every day as lately it has consisted of Green Thickies for breakfast, Green Thickies for lunch and a cooked meal on top of a massive salad for dinner. If I had snacks in the evening, I might have kale chips, spinach ice cream, fruit ice cream, more green smoothies or oat cakes with home made jam, peanut butter or date syrup.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Why I’m doing a Green Thickies challenge
However this week I’m doing something slightly different. I am setting myself a challenge to eat nothing but green thickies all week. The reasons I want to do this are:
- To see if I feel any healthier by having a short detox
- To see if I drop any of the last few pounds I’m carrying
- To drop down to the next dress size. I’ve been between sizes for a while now and I’d like to be able to buy a pair of jeans as I can’t find any clothes to fit me.
- To test my willpower as it’s been a while since I restricted my diet like this
- To save time on cooking, washing up and chewing food.
- To find out how many calories I’m eating in one day. I’m very interested to find this out as I’ve never counted my calories all day.
- To see if I can eat more intuitively based on hunger rather than because it’s time for dinner.
Monitoring my meals with My Fitness Pal
I usually use Cronometer to calculate the nutritional information that I provide for Green Thickies recipes, but I was introduced to My Fitness Pal recently as a good way to record a food diary and get a support network of people all trying to reach their ideal weight and get fit. So I thought I’d give that a try this week.
I signed up and was asked how many pounds I’d like to lose in a week. I selected 2 as I thought that was achievable. I was then told to lose 2 pounds this week I could only eat 1200 calories each day. I had already had my breakfast and some of my lunch so I inputted my meals so far and was horrified to see I’d gone way over my calories already for the day. So I asked for some help in a forum and it caused quite a stir.
Should you lose weight based on calorie intake?
I can see the pros and cons of logging calories to help you lose weight. I think looking at calories is a great way to keep your diet in check and make sure you’re not eating way too much food. It’s especially good if you’re the type of person who never feels full and could keep on eating all day long. It’s good to be aware of the number of calories in certain foods so you can ensure that you don’t eat too much but also that you don’t eat too little which is equally as important.
I believe it’s very hard to tell exactly how many calories you are burning each day so it’s hard to eat exactly the right number to make sure you lose weight. You can estimate it but it can end up being way out like I believe mine was.
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
I wasn’t asked if I was breastfeeding but I soon discovered I should be logging about 500 calories that could be burned due to breastfeeding.
I had also set my activity level to lightly active, but who knows if lifting a baby all day long actually uses much more calories than I thought.
It also may not be good to just follow calories alone to lose weight as you might not take exercise into account. Next Wednesday I’m going to focus more on talking about exercise, why we should ditch our scales if we’re doing weight training, and getting your dream body next week during my next What I ate Wednesday post.
All calories are not created equally
Another reason I believe it’s not great to solely rely on counting calories is that not all calories are created equally. I believe weight comes off much more easily when you eat unprocessed whole foods such as an abundance of fruit and veg.
My results so far on the Green Thickie challenge
I’m only half way through my challenge so I’ll update you again next week with my final results at the end of the week but here is what I can report so far:
- Despite going over my calories on the first day I still had lost 2lbs the next morning.
- The second time I stayed within the calories which included additional calories for breastfeeding and other exercise. The next morning I had lost 2lbs yet again which amazed me.
- I’ve been eating to hunger, only having a meal when I’m hungry and stopping when I’m full. I’ve been logging the calories I’ve consumed rather than restricting myself and trying to eat a certain number of calories. It’s been very easy to stop drinking when I’m full. My body simply won’t let me drink anymore which again is unusual for me.
- I’ve had no cravings whatsoever for any other type of food.
- Despite only getting 4 hours sleep the first night and 3 hours the second night due to my baby not sleeping, I have coped just fine just feeling slightly tired, not unable to cope as I would normally on this little sleep.
- I’ve felt very light and I’ve still had enough energy to do some light exercise despite the lack of sleep which is unusual for me.
- I have saved so much time cooking meals and washing up that I’ve got to spend loads more time playing with my baby and taking her on trips which I’ve absolutely loved.
- While I’ve been eating to hunger, and not set meal times, I do seem to consume more of my calories earlier on in they day. The saying, ‘breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper’ has been true for me and I feel much better eating this way.
I’ll update you again next week with any more revelations from this diet.
So without further ado, I’ll show you exactly what I ate on one of the days of the challenge.
I drank both servings of my Cool Breeze Mint and Pineapple Smoothie . I really enjoy this smoothie as it’s so refreshing and wakes me up in the morning.
I again drank both servings of the Key Lime Pie Green Thickie. You can find the recipe for the Key Lime Pie Smoothie here. It’s adapted from the Key Lime Pie Green Smoothie on Healthful pursuit. I fell in love with this smoothie and I’ve made it several times since I first tried it, in fact I can’t get enough of it.
I started to get hungry later on in the evening so I just had one serving of my Banana and Peanut Butter smoothie.
So a day full of smoothies isn’t the most inspiring day for you I’m sure. There’s no food for drooling over here, but that’s not my aim. My aim is to help you to feel full of life and health and realise your ideal weight. But believe me these smoothies are gorgeous and I haven’t felt at all deprived this week while drinking only green thickies.
My high calorie intake
A lot of people might be wondering why I drink both servings of my green thickies if they are supposed to only be one serving. I can only say that I don’t always drink both servings, a lot of the time I just drink one serving. I think at the moment my body is telling me it needs more food and I listen to it as I know the food I am giving it is the healthiest food I can find. The fact that I still lost weight tells me that I was right to listen to my body and eat until I was full.
I also have a higher need for food than usual as I’m breastfeeding, and my body needed a bit more energy due to lack of sleep.
We are all different and we all require a different amount of food to sustain ourselves. If you feel like one serving is too little for you also, then feel free to eat more, if one serving is too much then simply reduce the recipe down to suit your own needs. I just provide one serving on my recipes based on what I normally eat. However this does change especially if I have a bigger cooked dinner at night, I won’t be as hungry in the morning. So I think because I’ve been having smaller smoothies for dinner, that’s another reason why I’m hungrier in the morning for a double serving.
If you want to check out my MyFitnessPal profile, you’re welcome to have a look here, and if you’re a member I would love it if you added yourself as a friend and said hello. You can see exactly what I’ve been eating for every day of my challenge. However I wouldn’t advise that you copy exactly what I’ve eaten for your own weight loss journey, as all our calorie requirements are different.
So this has ended up being quite a long post, but I think it was important to explain my views on tracking calories and share my week with you as it’s been quite an eye opener for me.
Read my final results here on this 7 day Green Thickie challenge.
Do you ever track your calories? Are you on any special diet? What is the best way you’ve found to lose weight? Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
Do you want to try a Green Thickie? This basic Green Thickie Recipeis the perfect starting point.
UPDATE: This Green Smoothie Challenge Post was so popular, I created a challenge that you can join and get the same results. Join our brand new Lean Green Smoothie Challenge.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020