This 4th of July Drink is actually a Green Thickie. Don’t believe me?
Where do you think I hid the spinach, oats and nuts?
Can a red, white and blue smoothie still be a green smoothie?
Today I also let you take a peek at the contents of my organic vegetable farm boxes that I’ve just signed up for, and just wait and see how my baby reacts to them.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
4th July Drink: Layered Green Thickie for a special occasion
Are you bored of always having a green drink, are in the mood for something that has a bit more of a wow factor that you could serve to friends and family to impress them? Do you still want to serve up an amazingly healthy drink that still contains greens and is a complete meal replacement drink?
This 4th of July will be hard to resist but yet is still as healthy as you’ve come to expect from Green Thickies.
This smoothie is also seasonal, and is still very economical so it will save you money. However I couldn’t add it as part of my ‘Simple, Seasonal, Save’ series as it’s definitely not quite as simple as my other green thickie recipes.
The red layer is made up of raspberries or strawberries. The white layer contains the oats and almonds hidden amongst the banana. And finally the blue layer (OK more like purple) is made up of blueberries (of course) and this is also where the spinach is hiding. I included just as many greens as I normally do so you won’t miss out on any healthy ingredients by making this smoothie.
You will need to make each layer separately and store it in the freezer until you’ve blended all 3 layers so they don’t melt. It doesn’t take too long but if you don’t have a powerful blender you may struggle with this recipe. You can always add more water but it will be harder to stop the layers running into each other, but not impossible. If you eat this 4th July drink straight away you may actually need to eat it with a spoon as thick is the right word! However if you let it melt for a while it will be much easier to drink. You are also welcome to make the white layer a bit thinner. I wanted it to stay thick so it literally is porridge, which I love anyway so I don’t mind at all.
Organic Vegetable boxes
You might remember me telling you that I’ve signed up for an organic vegetable box a couple of weeks ago and I’ve since had 2 boxes delivered.
It’s been so exciting receiving these and while I grabbed my camera to take some photos of my boxes, something had caught my baby’s eye.
She decided that was the most perfect tomato she’d ever seen and demolished it.
I’ve really enjoyed receiving these boxes as it’s a total surprise what I’m going to get each week. On the whole it’s been extremely positive. Here are my pros and cons so far:
- I love the fact I’m eating locally and seasonally
- I get to support a local business
- I don’t give so much power to large supermarkets
- My food hasn’t travelled very far which is better for the environment
- Everything is organic
- I get a nice variety of veg that I might not have chosen myself
- It’s a surprise what I’m going to get each week
- It tastes amazing. I couldn’t believe how good the greens tasted compared to my usual supermarket bland salad greens.
- I get to try foods I can’t get hold of in the supermarket like chard (in the UK)
- It costs me less than buying all organic veg in the supermarket
- I get to deal with nice business owners who care about good customer service
- I feel closer to nature.
- I know what grows locally so I can more easily grow the same vegetables myself, and am now very inspired to do so.
- I am becoming better at ‘whipping’ up meals with any type of vegetables.
- I get to meet some interesting like minded people.
- I used to like planning all my meals in advance which is hard to do when you don’t know what you’re getting.
- I may start to get bored of so many carrots and onions at some point.
- I’ve been a bit squeamish washing all the bugs off the salad greens which also takes ages.
So as you can see there are definitely more pros than cons. I am still cooking with my slow cooker and find it easy just to substitute vegetables for my evening meals. The weather has been so cold and wet all year that I’ve actually gone back to making soups again which is another good way to use up leftover veg at the end of the week.
I hope you enjoy your 4th of July whatever you’re doing and thanks for reading about my 4th of July drink and a day in the life of vegetable box surprises.
4th of July Drink: Red, White and blue, and still Green? (Green Smoothie/Green Thickie)
For the White Layer
- • 1 Cup Oats I used Oatmeal soaked in the milk for 30 minutes. It turned into a porridge consistency.
- • 2 Tablespoons of ground almonds. I also soaked these in the milk. Any type of almonds may do if you have a powerful blender.
- • 1 Cup Non Dairy Milk oat, rice, soya, almond, hemp, coconut drink or raw nut or seed milk
- • 1 Frozen banana You could try it with a fresh banana as it would still be thick enough
For the Red Layer
- • 1/2 Cup Water
- • 2 Cups Raspberries
- • 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar or other healthy sweetener
For the Blue Layer
- • 1/2 Cup Water
- • 1 packed cup of Spinach or other mild greens
- • 2 Cups Blueberries
- • 1 teaspoon Vanilla I used ground vanilla
- Start by soaking the oatmeal and ground almonds in the milk while you make the other 2 layers. Take your frozen banana out of the freezer if you are using a frozen one rather than a fresh one.
- Blend all the ingredients for the red layer. This doesn’t have much water so add the water first and the raspberries a few at a time to see how much your blender can cope with. I used my vitamix and I still had to take it really slowly until it was all blended as this was very thick. Feel free to add more water but you want it to be as thick as possible or you might not be able to create layers. You might have to keep stopping and scraping down the sides.
- Pour the red layer into a glass or bowl and store it in the freezer while you finish the other 2 layers.
- Now do the same for the blue layer blending the spinach first then adding the vanilla and blueberries and blending very slowly a few at a time until it’s all as smooth as it will go.
- Pour the blue layer into a glass or bowl and store that in the freezer too.
- Now blend all the ingredients for the white layer, also very slowly. It should be nice and thick.
- Now get the red and blue layers out of the freezer and use a spoon to slowly add the red layer, followed by the white layer then the blue layer on top. If your smoothie is very thin you can try pouring the smoothie slowly from the spoon on to the side of the glass or over another upturned spoon so it stays on the top of the other layer rather than hitting it with such force that it goes too far below the existing liquid.
- It can be quite tricky but with practice you’ll get the hang of layered smoothies. This 4th July drink is a great place to start.
Gluten free*, raw*, vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, sugar free, wheat free*, soya free*, salt free, nut free*
* If you want to check if you can drink green thickies on your special diet please read this first. This will suggest some substitutions so you can still enjoy Green Thickies with ingredients you can tolerate.
Do you plan your meals each week or are you more inclined to whip something up at the last minute?
Are you new to Green Thickies? Would you like to learn how to make a green thickie and how they can help you lose weight?
You might be interested in my FREE 12 Day Green Smoothie E-Course. Click here to get it FREE.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020