Are you bored with your average smoothie ingredients?
I was too!
I decided to investigate some of these unusual choices of smoothie ingredients for the nutrition benefits and the new and unusual flavors.
Experiment with some of these smoothie ingredients and find your favorites!
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
20 of the most unusual yet extremely healthy smoothie ingredients
- Squash- Pack in the Beta Carotene and healthy carbohydrates with squash. Butternut, acorn and even zucchini! Try my butternut squash smoothie or my delicious zucchini bread smoothie.
- Kefir- Rich in probiotics to help your digestive system stay healthy and even heal. Kefir is a naturally fermented beverage made with milk, nut milks or water. Use in place of any liquid in your smoothie to help boost your immune system and keep your gut healthy! Try this healthy kefir smoothie recipe
- Kombucha- This beverage made from the kombucha scoby is rich in probiotics. Kombucha is slightly bubbly and can be made in lots of different flavors. You can buy it pre-made at the grocery store, but this won’t be as healthy as the kombucha you make yourself at home. If you don’t know where to start with kombucha, I recommend one of these home starter kits.
- Coconut oil- As far as healthy fats go coconut is a great choice for your smoothie. Coconut oil can help you lose weight, keep your thyroid healthy and provide energy! This cold and flu busting smoothie contains coconut oil.
- Sweet Potato- Is the number one choice for a healthy carbohydrate to provide tons of energy, keep you full longer and boost your beta carotene. It also contains lots of fiber and vitamin C! Try this sweet potato smoothie.
- Herbs- Boost your antioxidants by including herbs in your smoothies. Rosemary, Thyme and oregano can help prevent colds and flu, boost your immune system and fight free radicals! You will adore this delicious unique basil blackberry smoothie.
- Eggs- Raw eggs can be an incredible source of protein and nutrients. Don’t be afraid to eat Pastured raw eggs. Avoid conventional caged eggs and even cage free as they still contain a small salmonella risk. Make sure to buy local pastured eggs from small farms. For many months I made my smoothies from a base of raw egg. They are actually quite neutral tasting and very filling. Click here to find out how many eggs to add to your recipe.
- Fermented vegetables- Another great source of probiotics for a healthy gut and immune system, fermented vegetable can easily be made at home or purchased at a healthy grocery store or farmers market. This book is a great resource for learning more about fermenting vegetables.
- Greens- Try some unusual greens in your smoothie such as beet greens, bok choy, Collard greens, Wheat grass and dandelion greens for added magnesium and benefits to your liver. Green are a great addition to help support your body to detox. If you can’t find these more unusual greens fresh, why not try a healthy green powder?
- Root vegetables- Try some turnips or carrots or beets for a new and healthy flavor. Carrot orange is a delicious combination! If you are a fan of carrot cake, you will adore my carrot cake smoothie.
- Beans- Yes beans! Kidney, Garbanzo or my favorite, black beans can add fiber, and many phytonutrients to your diet. Black beans are an incredible superfood and can be mixed with raw cacao for a wonderful chocolate smoothie with no guilt! Find out how many beans to add to your smoothie here.
- Gelatin- I’m not talking about that flavored stuff you make into “salads” I’m talking about pasture raised, collagen rich gelatin like this one. Add gelatin to your smoothie for skin and bone health!
- Dessicated Liver- Added to your smoothie in powdered form such as this one. Desiccated liver is one of nature’s most nutrient dense foods. It will give you amazing energy and ensure you’re getting enough b vitamins!
- Sea vegetables- Adding ½ to 1 teaspoon of kelp powder to your smoothie will boost your intake of magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamin K, calcium and iron as well as protein. It’s also very high in iodine which is necessary for a healthy thyroid gland.
- Ancient Grains- Gluten free grains such as oats. quinoa or buckwheat are a great thickener and provided added minerals and vitamins such as b vitamins and magnesium. Here is a great quinoa powder you can use for your smoothies, to make pancakes, bread and quinoa porridge. It’s great for those who are on a gluten free diet.
- Chia- If you’re looking for Omega 3’s and fiber then Chia seeds are a great addition. They will thicken your smoothie and have very little flavor on their own. Chia is good for preventing IBS symptoms and healing your “gut”. You can get organic chia seeds here.
- Mesquite flour- Is made from the seeds of the mesquite tree and can stabilize blood sugar levels. It has soluble fiber and is rich in vitamins and minerals. Mesquite has a slightly sweet flavor and can be used to sweeten your smoothie without the bad effects of sugar. Get your mesquite powder here.
- Essential oils- I recommend Young Living essential oils for digestion because they are pure and not adulterated. I wouldn’t ingest any other oils! Orange, Lemon, Lime and Grapefruit are great additions. Click here for a 24% discount.
- Maca Root Powder – This ancient herb has so many benefits for women. Sexual health, improving fertility, and combating the effects of menopause are a few of the many benefits this healing herb has to offer. Click here to read all the reviews about maca on Amazon.
- Matcha Green Tea – This green tea powder is as strong as 10 cups of regular green tea. Some of the many benefits are, it is packed with antioxidants, boosts metabolism and burns calories, detoxifies effectively and naturally, calms the mind and relaxes the body, enhances mood and improves concentration, lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels. You can read my post all about 8 awesome benefits of green tea here or Get your matcha powder here.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and try some of these unusual choices for your smoothie. Eating clean, organic whole foods can be delicious and fun!
Which of these smoothie ingredients will you try next?
If you liked this post, you might want to read about how to add some of these ingredients to your smoothies in my post – 20 ways to make homemade meal replacement smoothies.
I know you may not have time to digest all this right now, so I wanted to give you a handy print out of this blog post so you can stick it on your fridge to help you on your journey to optimal health.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020