If you’re looking for a sweet, simple meal with only 4 ingredients, no bananas, sweeteners or dried fruit then this creamy mango shake will suit you down to the ground.
No Banana smoothie
A lot of people use bananas in smoothies to sweeten them, add calories and thicken it up. Bananas are a great option as they are usually less expensive than other fruits. But if you can’t eat them or don’t like bananas then you can usually replace a banana with a mango in any smoothie. I actually much prefer to sweeten smoothies with mangos as I just think they are sweeter and juicier than bananas. I just adore mangoes raw and in smoothies. I have to admit I’m a bit bored of bananas myself and rarely eat them raw. Unfortunately mangoes are often more expensive than bananas but they are very filling so a great option if you can find them in season or on offer. We have access to them all year round here, they remain practically the same price and I can buy them frozen so I’m thankful for that. I was just asking myself this morning, why on earth don’t I make more mango smoothies? Just make sure the mangoes are squeezable and ripe before you chop them for your smoothie or your smoothie won’t taste very sweet.
A four ingredient smoothie
This mango shake only contains milk, spinach, mango and oats, but don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you. It’s so amazingly creamy, luscious and it’s also a complete filling meal. What could be better than that?
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
Mango Shake: A lighter snack option
I first made this mango shake with just milk and frozen mango. I blended it up and it tasted like a gorgeous creamy ice cream and was just as thick as an ice cream too. So if you want a quick snack, a soft serve ice cream or a quick smoothie then you can just use these 2 ingredients and you’ll be amazed at how creamy, sweet and gorgeous it is.
Mango Shake Green Thickie
However if you’re looking for a more substantial meal (Green Thickies) then you just need to add the spinach and the oats and you’ll fill yourself up plus get all the benefits of the greens too. Of course it tasted a lot more oaty once I’d added the oats, but still very sweet and the mango flavour was still present. Even if you include all four ingredients to make a Green Thickie, the calories are still low for 1 serving, so it’s great it you want a very light meal or you may want to drink both servings for a more substantial meal.
This mango shake is sweet enough
The milk I used was a soya milk which had been naturally sweetened with a bit of apple juice, so that may have added to the sweet flavour, but you can sweeten it to your own preferences, but I really don’t think it needs it.
Thicker/Thinner the choice is yours
I also used frozen mango chunks which made the smoothie even thicker. It was so thick it was more like a pudding so it would be great eaten with a spoon. But if you want it thinner, simply add more milk to suit your own preferences.
Dairy Free/raw milk options
If you want to make this shake raw, use raw milk such as homemade almond milk. I’m sure it would be delicious with almond milk. I often use either almond, soya, oat or rice milk, but often whatever is on special offer at the time.
[tweetherder]This four ingredient Creamy Mango Shake doesn’t have a banana in sight. [/tweetherder]
Creamy Mango Shake (Green Smoothie/GreenThickie)
If you’re looking for a sweet, simple meal with only 4 ingredients, no bananas, or sweeteners then this creamy mango shake will suit you perfectly.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Green Thickie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Drink
- 2 Cups Dairy Free Milk (Like this)
- 1 Cup Spinach, tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed (or any other mild greens)OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- 1 Cup Oats (Like this) or one cup of Quinoa (Like this)
- 2 Cups Chopped Mango: about 2 small mangoes (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup pecans (optional)
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using)
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
- Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending.
- You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
- Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
- This Green Thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
Suitable for Special Diets:
- Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa)
- Raw (Use raw oats/quinoa)
- Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu),
- Salt free (don’t add salt)
- Nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
- Serving Size: 550 ml/20 oz /1 pint
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie.
Do mangoes feature regularly in your diet? Comments always put a smile on my face, so please take a minute to say hello below. Many thanks.
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ... And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen.
Get results like this...Hi Katherine,
I just wanted to tell you I completed the 7 day detox and I feel so great.
I have lost 6lbs, do not feel like I need more my morning coffee, the flushing of my facial skin from rosacea has dramatically reduced and I am so excited to wake up each morning and make a green thickie for breakfast!!
I am a stay at-home, homeschooling momma of 3 littles and at times so busy I would forget to feed myself!
I would go most of the day without eating and then snack on random things.
I gained 60 pounds the last 6 years during pregnancy.
I have lost 30lbs but recently plateaued and have felt so frustrated.
I’ve tried everything from paleo and keto to the point where I didn’t know what to eat or how much and felt like even eating fruit was bad for me which thankfully it’s not!
What a game changer for me. Thank you for sharing a simple but effective program.
I’m so excited to continue another week with this plan! Thankful Stephanie
Use this special voucher to get $10 off: WEBSITE (Add discount code WEBSITE at the checkout)
Click here to get started
- How To Use Bananas For Sleep (Bedtime Banana Elixir Recipe) - January 14, 2022
- Why You Can’t Eat Your 5 A Day (And The EASY SOLUTION) - November 29, 2021
- 10 Second Banana Ice Cream Recipe (Using Only Bananas) - November 1, 2020