Smoothie bowls just can’t be ignored…
They leap out from the screen and say, look at me, I’m so pretty. How could you ignore me?
We know how gorgeous smoothie bowls look, that can’t be denied.
But how do we actually make a smoothie bowl?
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
I’m going to give you everything you need in this post to make your own smoothie bowls.
I am going to give you my favorite smoothie recipes to use as a base, and then I’ll give you 100 of the best smoothie toppings so you can turn your smoothie bowl into a work of art!
And first, I’m going to share some of the reasons to LOVE smoothie bowls. (In case you aren’t convinced already!)
Here are the reasons why I can’t live without smoothie bowls in my life:
- They add a nice crunch to my smoothies. You get an explosion of different textures and tastes in your mouth at the same time, which to me is one of the most pleasurable things about sitting down to eat. Sometimes you just gotta chew you know?
- Makes me feel more civilised sitting down eating like a normal person rather than chugging down my Green Thickies on the go all the time…
- They are JUST SO PRETTY. It is impossible for smoothie bowls to not be pretty. And who doesn’t like eating pretty things. You know that saying, most of taste is in the eyes not the mouth…
- I can get even more healthy, fruity, nutty seedy, coconutty goodness into my body by piling more toppings on top of the smoothie
- They are a great replacement for cereal but a million times healthier
You get to use pretty bowls like these that brighten up your life
FREE SMOOTHIE WEIGHT LOSS BUNDLE
For A Limited Time, Grab Your FREE 260+ Page Smoothies For Weight Loss Bundle So You Can:
* Shed your excess weight without cravings
* Triple your energy levels without coffee
* Get glowing, clear skin naturally
Have I convinced you that you can’t live without smoothie bowls yet?
OK let’s dive into how to actually make a smoothie bowl…
How To Make A Smoothie Bowl
It’s pretty simple really. To summarise, all you do is the following:
- Blend up your favourite smoothie
- Add your favorite toppings to the top of the smoothie in pretty lines
Now this brief explanation may be enough for you to get straight to work whipping up your own smoothie bowl to be proud of.
But if you’d like to know a little more, you’re in luck because I’m going to break it down a lot more for you here.
1) Blend Up Your Favorite Smoothie
My favorite smoothie of all time, is my Basic Green Thickie Recipe. So if you want a green smoothie that fills you up until your next meal, give this a try.Print
Basic Green Thickie Recipe
There are 6 basic ingredients in a green thickie:
- Liquids (water, milk or juice)
- Greens (Spinach, Chard, Collard Greens, Lettuce, Kale or other mild greens) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- Fruit (Add any fruit you like, you don’t have to worry about adding creamy fruit as the oats provide the creaminess)
- Carbs (Oats, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Sweet Potato)
- Seeds or nuts (Any plain seeds or nuts can be added)
- Sweetener (If it needs it add in some healthy sweetener. I prefer to use whole foods so mostly use dates/ date paste)
- Prep Time: 2 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- 2 cups Water (or use dairy free milk (Like this) or freshly squeezed fruit/veg juice)
- 2 cups Spinach (or use Chard, Collard Greens, Lettuce, Kale or other mild greens) OR if you run out of fresh greens, add 2 scoops of Amazing Green Powder for an extra healthy green boost.
- 1 cup Oats (or use quinoa, buckwheat or sweet potato)
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds (or any other plain seeds or nuts, unsalted and un-roasted)
- 1/4 cup Dates (or date paste, other dried fruit or healthy sweetener to taste)
- 2 medium Bananas (or 2 small mangos (or 2–4 cups of any other fruit e.g. berries))
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next for a short time (if using).
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a Green Thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice.
- Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
- Serving Size: 500 ml/ 1 pint/ 20 oz
If you’re not looking for a green smoothie, you can simply remove the spinach from the recipe, or try some of my other complete meal smoothies from my book, 80 Green Thickies Recipes.
You can also have a look at my recipes on my blog here.
And if you don’t like following a recipe and want something very simple – simple add 1 cup of fruit with ½ cup of liquid such as water or dairy free milk to your blender and blend until smooth.
Now you’ve got your smoothie ready, all you need to do is pour it into a pretty bowl like this.
Now sprinkle some of your favorite toppings in neat lines on the top of your smoothie.
Get creative! The sky’s the limit here!
To help you out, I’ve produced a list of 100 of the best smoothie toppers for you so you’re never stuck for inspiration when it comes to making your smoothie bowl look absolutely fabulous!
100 Of The Most Beautiful Smoothie Bowl Toppings
4. Cashew Nuts
6. Tiger Nuts
8. Brazil Nuts
11. Chia Seeds
12. Brown Flax Seeds
13. Pumpkin Seeds
14. Hemp Hearts
15. Sunflower Seeds
16. Sesame Seeds
17. Poppy Seeds
20. Pine Nuts
24. Amaranth Flakes
26. Millet Flakes
34. Dried Banana
35. Dried Pineapple
37. Dried Mango
40. Goji Berries
41. Dragon Fruit (Pitaya)
50. Pomegranate Seeds
55. Honey Pecan Pie
61. Cacao Nibs
62. Dried Coconut
63. Bee Pollen
66. Raw Honey
67. Maple Syrup
68. Camu Camu Powder
Sauces, Spreads, Liquids
72. Coconut Cream
73. Peanut Butter
74. Almond Butter
75. Coconut Butter
77. Chocolate Spread
80. Acai Berry Puree
82. Cacao Powder
83. Carob Powder
85. Sea Salt
86. Vanilla Powder
87. Acai Powder
88. Maca Powder
89. Lucuma Powder
90. Matcha Powder
91. Edible Flowers
If you’re looking for more healthy, calorie counted delicious meals that take minutes to whip up and guarantee you’ll drop the pounds, look no further than The Leaf System.
If you join this month you’ll get a whole month of Leaf System meals completely FREE. Can’t say fairer than that!
Are you struggling to lose weight and keep it off?
Are you feeling run down and are struggling with ever increasing health problems?
Green Thickies new 7 Day Detox will help you drop a dress size, improve your skin, your energy will soar and you are going to be so in control and proud of yourself.
You won't go hungry on this diet ...
And better yet - it actually requires minimal time in the kitchen. Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)
Click here to read more and get a 50% discount today. (Discount applied at the checkout)